Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SI: No Way Reds pick up Dunn's Option

SI: No Way Reds pick up Dunn's Option

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...preview/3.html

2. OK, if not Manny, who is likely to be traded midseason?

Torii Hunter is a free agent after the year, and the Twins don't figure to be able to afford him. So if the Twins fall out of contention before the July 31 trading deadline, there's a good chance they could deal him. Same with Andruw Jones. The Braves would like to keep him, but if they dive, they have to be realistic about their chances of keeping their star centerfielder. Those chances aren't good.

Pitcher Jake Westbrook of the Indians and slugger Adam Dunn of the Reds (no way Cincinnati picks up a $13 million option) are two others. Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki is a free agent after the season, too. All will be talked about in July. A bunch of closers: Bob Wickman of the Braves, Jorge Julio of the Marlins and Todd Jones of the Tigers

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SI: No Way Reds pick up Dunn's Option

Adam Dunn isn't going anywhere.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Well 9 mill comes off the books at the end of this year in the form of Milton so I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't pick up the option on Dunn.

Only way I could see the Reds not picking it up would be for philosophical reasons on the part of Krivsky(K's too much and defense concerns). I pray that this doesn't happen by the way since I consider it faulty reasoning.

We will be one year closer to the end of the Griffey contract and completely done with Milton so I don't see where picking up Dunn's option is such an albatross.
    Last edited by Jaycint; 04-01-2007 at 06:31 PM.

SI = those commercials with the "talking sports out of his...ignorance."

Though I don't know if they will pick it up, I think it is tough to say "there is no way."

Why believe what some, IMO, insignificant magazine has to say.
    They are just throwing stuff out there and seeing if it sticks.

Yep, if Dunn hits .275 and smacks 45-50 homers -- which is well within the realm of possibility -- no way the offense-laden Reds pick him up for $13 million. That will be so easy to replace at cost from within the farm system, after all.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Adam Dunn isn't going anywhere.
    You hope. I'm not convinced. Even if Griffey's contract is expiring, Krivsky will be looking for defense and pitching and Adam Dunn will buy one helluva lot of either or both. It's just a matter of time.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    You hope. I'm not convinced. Even if Griffey's contract is expiring, Krivsky will be looking for defense and pitching and Adam Dunn will buy one helluva lot of either or both. It's just a matter of time.
    Yea he hates the guy.

Who extended the Dunn deal again? Let's at least keep the Krivsky bashing within reason.

If Wayne was so anti Dunn he wouldn't have extended him. He would have moved him or let him walk.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

This is yet another example of why if I want to find out the true info about a team I'm interested in, I DO NOT get it from national media sources...talking heads are just that...does anyone actually ever keep track of the predictions guys like this make...

I'll make mine...Dunn wears Cincy Red for many, many years to come...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

I tend to agree with you. Barring Dunn taking a discount of somesort, I think he will price himself out of town after 2008. If Krivsky comes to that conclusion, he will look into moving Dunn either this year or next at the deadline. The teams record will have a lot do with when that happens if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    Well 9 mill comes off the books at the end of this year in the form of Milton so I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't pick up the option on Dunn.

Only way I could see the Reds not picking it up would be for philosophical reasons on the part of Krivsky(K's too much and defense concerns). I pray that this doesn't happen by the way since I consider it faulty reasoning.

We will be one year closer to the end of the Griffey contract and completely done with Milton so I don't see where picking up Dunn's option is such an albatross.
    Krivsky signed Dunn to the LTC in the first place. If Krivsky wanted to get rid of Dunn it would've already happened.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Yea he hates the guy.

Who extended the Dunn deal again? Let's at least keep the Krivsky bashing within reason.

If Wayne was so anti Dunn he wouldn't have extended him. He would have moved him or let him walk.
    Never said that. Wayne's priorities, and he's stated them, are pitching and defense. It just makes sense that he would do this. This is not Krivsky bashing, it's just stating what I believe will happen. Personally, i don't want to see it happen, but it seems to follow that it will.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

He may like defense and pitching....and who does not....but I am sure he still like some idea of an offense too. Earl Weaver liked pitching and defense...but he also liked the 3 run homer.

I am not saying he would not look at ever trading him between now and when the contract expires......but he will have a better idea if Votto....Bruce...and EE can take up the slack.

griffey is guaranteed thru '08.....he's owed $29M non-deferred assuming '09 is bought out...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    SI = those commercials with the "talking sports out of his...ignorance."

Though I don't know if they will pick it up, I think it is tough to say "there is no way."
    Absolutely. And Wayne negotiated this deal - it's not something he was saddled with. We'll see how Dunn does this year and how the market is. Thirteen million might be a bargain, I hate to say.

Turn Off Ads?