Turn Off Ads?

Thread: It's Opening Day!

It's Opening Day!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's Opening Day!

14 Hours till game time!! Time to start drinking!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

This is the eve of the best day of the year. Sitting here at the Hyatt, about 6 blocks from GABP, right now, my life couldn't be any better!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I am sitting here cant sleep so i and watching my season 1 dvd's of Dukes of Hazzard. I can't wait till i go to the game today. I want to take a look at Alyssa milano's new clothing line Touch. (pics of the line if you dont know what it is http://thep03.sytes.net/gallery/?spg...t%2028,%202006 & http://thep03.sytes.net/gallery/?spg...t%2029,%202006) She said in her blog that it should be out in all team shops for opening day. I am going to get my tradional opening day baseball I started last yr and get a new reds hat( the one they use for spring training and batting practice).

And in the spirit of this opening day, something I snatched from Rosecrans:

http://http://www.mcsweeneys.net/200...irkemeier.html

Opening Day
    Genesis.
    BY GLENN BIRKEMEIER
    - - - -

In the big inning, God created Heaven on Earth. And it was without form, and void. God separated the dirt from the grass. He called the grass Outfield and the dirt He called Infield. God made the Infield a 90-foot square and the Outfield not less than 400 feet to center and 320 feet down the lines. He declared this Fair Territory. All other territory, God then declared, was Foul.

And God divided the players into two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, to play The Game on His field. God called some of these players Pitchers and some of them Hitters. He placed a Pitcher precisely 60 feet 6 inches from a Hitter. Then God commanded that it's one, two, three strikes you're out at the ol' Ballgame.

And God granted jurisdiction of The Game to lesser Gods, whom He called Umpires. God said the Umpires are infallible, blessed with Heavenly authority, whose judgment is not to be questioned under penalty of expulsion from The Game. And God looked at his creation and He was pleased. Then God created the Infield Fly Rule to confuse nonbelievers.

And God said, Let there be light beer, and there was. And, God said, let there be peanuts and hot dogs and overpriced souvenirs and let there be frosty chocolate malts with little wooden spoons that you can buy nowhere else except at this Heaven, which God called a Ballpark, and there was. God looked at His creation and it was good.

And the Lord God formed, from the dust, a collection of elite players in His own image. The Lord God then breathed the breath of life into His creation. God called this creation the National League.

And God said, It is not good for the National League to be alone. The Lord God shall make it a mate. And thus, while the National League slept, God took several of its top players and created the American League.

And God blessed The Game, saying, Be fruitful and multiply. Put teams in every city with deserving fans, God added, even if this occurs at the expense of starting-pitching depth.

From time to time, God understood, The Game would be corrupted by the Serpent. The Serpent was more cunning than any other beast and he would take many wicked forms: the Black Sox, segregation, the Designated Hitter, the Reserve Clause, dead balls, juiced balls, spit balls, corked bats, George Steinbrenner, AstroTurf, the 1981 strike, collusion, lockouts, Pete Rose, the 1994 strike, greenies, cocaine, HGH, Andro, steroids, $20 parking, corporate mallparks, Scott Boras, Donald Fehr, and Bud Selig.

But, God said, the goodness in The Game shall always prevail. As needed, the Lord shall bestow upon The Game a Savior. And the Savior, like the Serpent, can take many forms. The Savior shall remind Fans how blessed The Game truly is. The Savior shall be called by many names, including Cy, Matty, Honus, Big Train, the Babe, Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Lou Gehrig, Branch Rickey, Jackie Robinson, Buck O'Neil, Hank Greenberg, Red Barber, Harry Carey, Vin Scully, Jack Buck, Satchel Paige, Bill Veeck, Roberto Clemente, Ernie Banks, Hammerin' Hank, Cool Papa, Dizzy, Lefty, Whitey, Stan the Man, Big Klu, the Say Hey Kid, Campy, Duke, the Mick, the Splendid Splinter, the Gas House Gang, the Big Red Machine, the Damn Yankees, Pudge Fisk, Pudge Rodriguez, Yaz, Pops, the Wizard of Oz, Fernando, George Brett, Moonlight Graham, Roy Hobbs, Wild Thing Vaughn, Bingo Long, the Ryan Express, Donnie Baseball, Rickey, Eck, the Big Unit, the Cactus League, Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Camden Yards, Rotisserie Drafts, Web Gems, Derek Jeter, Dontrelle Willis, Vlad Guerrero, and, from the Far East, Ichiro. And, God guaranteed, there are many more to come.

God looked upon His creation and He was very pleased. And God spoke, yelling, PLAY BALL!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Recovering Cubs Fan

This looks like a good place to share this parody I wrote a couple years ago:

Opening Day: The *True* Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It's the most wonderful time of the year
    When the springtime is springing
    And birds are all singing
    Cause baseball is here

It's the hap-happiest season of all
    With the crybabies fussing
    And managers cussing
    When umps blow a call
    It's the hap-happiest season of all

There'll be superstars slacking
    And Carloses hacking
    And Juans and Miguels and Pe-dros
    There'll be broadcasters yapping
    And Ichiro slapping
    Out hits like a pimp smackin' ho's

With the bleacher bums yelling
    And everyone smelling
    Like nachos and beer

There'll be ticket price hiking
    And talk about striking
    And hot dogs that cost you eight bucks
    There'll be many hearts broken
    Your team will be chokin'
    Cause their crappy bullpen just sucks

There'll be much disagreeing
    And everyone's peeing
    The Cream and the Clear
    It's the most wonderful time
    The *true* most wonderful time
    It's the most wonderful time
    Of the year

Best yet Natty. I can't decide which is funnier the Ichiro stuff or the cream and the clear stuff. Good work.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?