Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Finish 6th...

Reds Finish 6th...

Seattle TIMES, says the Reds are "flailing" and will finish last with a poor rotation and a line up that won't scare many even if J. stays healthy.

6 | Cincinnati Reds
    2006: 3rd place 80-82

Manager: Jerry Narron.

Key free agents: SS Alex Gonzalez (3 years, $14 million), RP Mike Stanton (2 years, $5.5 million).

Acquired in trade: SP Kirk Saarloos (from Oakland), 1B-OF Jeff Conine (from Philadelphia).

Going, going, gone: 3B Rich Aurilia (signed by San Francisco), SS Royce Clayton (signed by Toronto), RP Ryan Franklin (signed by St. Louis), C Jason LaRue (traded to Kansas City), RP Scott Schoeneweis (signed by Mets).

On the hot seat: Can Ken Griffey Jr., now a right fielder, stay healthy? He hasn't had 500 at-bats in a season since 2000 and comes into this season after fracturing his left hand this winter wrestling with his kids on his yacht.

Written in Stone: The Reds actually flirted with contention last year, but don't worry, it won't happen again. Just turn your head to the left and take a gander at that rotation. Yuck. Beyond Aaron Harang (a Billy Beane giveaway you won't read about in "Moneyball," traded from Oakland to Cincy for current Mariner Jose Guillen) and Bronson Arroyo, who was everything they hoped for last season and will have to be again, the Reds are flailing. At least, until all-world pitching prospect Homer Bailey arrives, which won't be long. David Weathers isn't exactly Mariano Rivera, and the lineup isn't going to scare many, even on the off chance Griffey stays healthy.
    Lineup card
    P Hitters Avg HR RBI
    CF Ryan Freel .271 8 27
    LF Adam Dunn .234 40 92
    2B Brandon Phillips .276 17 75
    RF Ken Griffey Jr. .252 27 72
    3B Edw. Encarnacion .276 15 72
    1B Scott Hatteberg .289 13 51
    SS Alex Gonzalez .255 9 50
    C David Ross .255 21 52
    TH Starters W-L ERA SO
    RH Aaron Harang 16-11 3.76 216
    RH Bronson Arroyo 14-11 3.29 184
    LH Eric Milton 8-8 5.19 90
    RH Kyle Lohse 5-10 5.83 97
    RH Matt Belisle 2-0 3.60 26
    TH Closer W-L ERA SV
    RH David Weathers 4-4 3.54 12

Capsules by Bill Reader, section editor; Written in Stone and division rankings by Larry Stone, Seattle Times baseball reporter.Stats from 2006 season unless noted.

Copyright 2007 The Seattle Times Company
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Finish 6th...

And whats his point about not having anyone behind Arroyo and Harrang?

Wasn't it the same story last year?????
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Hey every know it all wanna be has his opinion right before the start of the year. They gotta have it in, so they can shout they were right in the off chance they get lucky.

Truth is that guy knows about as much as the boneheads who passed up Harang for Cy Young consideration last year. We might not be Boston or the Yankees but we could certainly hang with those Seattle grunge bums! I would take our rotation 10 times over theirs.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Beyond Aaron Harang (a Billy Beane giveaway you won't read about in "Moneyball," traded from Oakland to Cincy for current Mariner Jose Guillen)
    I love this little slam they slipped in there. As if Billy could never make a mistake so Harang must be a hunk of junk that Beane cast to the side to rid himself of a "problem". Please.

I guess that means Bonderman is no good either since he was a "Billy Beane giveaway" (for Ted Lilly no less) and wasn't in Moneyball.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 04-02-2007 at 06:14 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I don't know how scary it is but I kinda like the lineup.

It would be nice to come into Seattle and sweep them now. That'll get that reporter dropping his teeth!

And I agree with the poster who noted he assumes Billy Beane can never make a mistake, although I wouldn't call letting Harrang go a mistake. He had to pay something to get something and Jose Guillen that year was not chopped liver.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I love this little slam they slipped in there. As if Billy could never make a mistake so Harang must be a hunk of junk that Beane cast to the side to rid himself of a "problem". Please.

I guess that means Bonderman is no good either since he was a "Billy Beane giveaway" (for Ted Lilly no less) and wasn't in Moneyball.
    I took the writer's reference to mean that Harang was good and that Beane did make a mistake...and since Moneyball makes Beane out to be a god, there wouldn't be a chapter in the book about Harang since his give-away was inconsistent with Beane being divine.

I find it funny how some people are picking the Cardinals to win the division. We don't have nearly as bad of a rotation that they could have. I don't think we will finish last but anything better than 3rd would be better than what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    I don't know how scary it is but I kinda like the lineup.
    I think the lineup is decent too, but I do worry about the bench players and the lack of depth if/when injuries occur. Our offense is really thin.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Special K has said time and time again that the roster that breaks spring training is given way too much emphasis...I look for trades, deals and wire claims to help this team solidify itself...I also think that those trades may send some starters away while their value is at its highest.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?