Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U-M offers Beilein coaching job

U-M offers Beilein coaching job

ATLANTA -- West Virginia coach John Beilein has an offer from Michigan athletic director Bill Martin to become Michigan’s next men’s basketball coach, according to three people close to the situation.

He is expected to make a decision in the next 24 hours.

The Free Press asked Martin via e-mail if Beilein had been offered the job and was in Ann Arbor on Sunday. Martin responded only, “If Coach Beilein was in AA today, I didn't know about it.”

Beilein, 54, has been rumored as the Wolverines’ top candidate for nearly a week and those with knowledge of the offer say he was still considering it.

Martin has final approval on the coach to replace Tommy Amaker, who was fired March 17, but has used an advisory committee of university officials and a basketball expert with Michigan ties (ESPN analyst Tim McCormick) to advise him on the candidate pool.

Among the candidates who likely will not get the job: Southern Illinois’ Chris Lowery, who is believed to have had informal discussions with U-M officials but agreed to a contract extension with Southern Illinois on Saturday night.

Beilein has 26 winning seasons in 29 years and just guided a young team to the NIT championship last week.

Even this season after losing the bulk of the Elite Eight and Sweet Sixteen teams from the previous two seasons, the Mountaineers finished 27-9 and defeated seven NCAA tournament teams, including Final Four participant UCLA.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: U-M offers Beilein coaching job

Is the Michigan job better than WVU?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    That's my thought too. If anything, it's a lateral move at best into a weaker conference.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I don't think so at all b/c WVU has made the ncaa tourney the past two years not cousting this season which they won the nit tourney.WVU has 5 really good recruits going to start playing next season including the famous jerry west's son.With all of this years team coming back plus the five recruits WVU will once again be a really good team.

If he goes then I think its all about the money b/c what has Mich done lately?? NOTHING!!
    Last edited by WVPacman; 04-02-2007 at 01:19 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

For a Level Playing Field

Former REDS players were asked for their opinion...

According to Pete Rose, "WV ain't nothing to write home about. Those types ain't gots no smarts. I always liked heading south to Michigan for a swim in the ocean and betting at the dog tracks when the season in Cincinnati was over."

Barry Larkin, Chris Sabo and Hal Morris also agree that the Wolverine gig is better than the Mountaineer job. No particular reasons for their opinion.

Recruiting - you'll never get a Durant or an Oden at West Virginia. But you will get one at Michigan.

So it comes down to what you want as a coach. Beilein's game is the three point line so big name recruits might not mean as much to him, but its got to be tempting.....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Yeah, recruiting is what comes to mind. Beilein does recruit to a certain skill set, but there are still people who he wants who tend to look elsewhere, to schools that have produced more recent NBA players. Patrick Patterson comes to mind. I know Beilein recruited him, but WVU doesn't seem to be on his radar.

The last time Michigan was in the NCAA field of 64 was 1998. This is what was going on in the world back then.

http://www.infoplease.com/year/1998.html

Don't do it Beilein!

Now that Belien is gone, will WVU go after one Robert Huggins to coach at his alma mater?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Now that Belien is gone, will WVU go after one Robert Huggins to coach at his alma mater?
    That rumor is out there.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I Heard That On Cincinnati Radio Yesterday.

Hopefully they pick up Huggins and Bill Walker follows him

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Hopefully they pick up Huggins and Bill Walker follows him
    I think Huggins to WVU is a pipe dream for people in West Virginia. He already has Beasley and Walker at Kansas St, why would he give that up?

He turned down WVU once when he was on thin ice at Cincinnati. Why would he go to the Mountaineers when he is in a better situation in Manhattan than he was at Cincinnati?

I think Jeff Neubauer from Eastern Ky(Beilein assistant) is the leading candidate. Travis Ford was also mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?