Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The 08/09 OD lineup (assuming all goes right)

yeah...

The 08/09 OD lineup (assuming all goes right)

Was doing some speculating about the next few years and thought it'd be interesting to consider the Reds bright future. I think (by 09 at the latest) we'll be looking at this kind of lineup:
    1. RF Stubbs: Our first great lead off man: good OB guy, contact not as necessary here. Stolen base threat
    2. 1B Votto: Good plate discipline, great AVG and SLG but most of all good OBP
    3. CF Hamilton: Should be an absolute force in a year or two when everything really starts clicking. Might be the best we've seen in our lifetimes
    4. LF Bruce: Oozes power and, hopefully, maintains his speed though it's not entirely necessary
    5. 3B EdE: We know what this guy is capable of... just imagine him with more experience
    6. 2B Phillips: A surprising power threat and a very capable hitter
    7. C ?: Not sure who will fill this position in a year or two... possibly still Ross
    8. SS AGon: Goes without saying
    This is a really balanced and dangerous looking group. Here's to hoping the injury bug stays away and the guys meet and exceed expectations!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The 08/09 OD lineup (assuming all goes right)

I said this on another thread but I just hope that if the Reds are knocking down the door later this year Krivs doesn't trade away a couple of these guys for a closer or middle reliever.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

yeah...

Didn't hit on this earlier, but those 3 outfielders would make for one of the best defensive outfields in baseball as well. All three can play gold glove CF. (though Bruce may be the least capable)

Couple that with AGon, Phillips, a "rangy" EdE (who will hopefully figure out the throwing thing) and a solid and improving Votto... wow!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by IamWallaman View Post
    Was doing some speculating about the next few years and thought it'd be interesting to consider the Reds bright future. I think (by 09 at the latest) we'll be looking at this kind of lineup:
    1. RF Stubbs: Our first great lead off man: good OB guy, contact not as necessary here. Stolen base threat
    2. 1B Votto: Good plate discipline, great AVG and SLG but most of all good OBP
    3. CF Hamilton: Should be an absolute force in a year or two when everything really starts clicking. Might be the best we've seen in our lifetimes
    4. LF Bruce: Oozes power and, hopefully, maintains his speed though it's not entirely necessary
    5. 3B EdE: We know what this guy is capable of... just imagine him with more experience
    6. 2B Phillips: A surprising power threat and a very capable hitter
    7. C ?: Not sure who will fill this position in a year or two... possibly still Ross
    8. SS AGon: Goes without saying
    This is a really balanced and dangerous looking group. Here's to hoping the injury bug stays away and the guys meet and exceed expectations!
    Take out Stubbs, put either Bruce or Hamilton in CF and the other in RF, and keep Dunn in LF and that's a decent team.

Stubbs needs to be traded for something that can actually help this team, namely a catching prospect.

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Take out Stubbs, put either Bruce or Hamilton in CF and the other in RF, and keep Dunn in LF and that's a decent team.

Stubbs needs to be traded for something that can actually help this team, namely a catching prospect.
    I honestly don't think Dunn is long for this team. Hamilton, Bruce, Votto and the rest should make up for the reduction in homers.

I also happen to like what Stubbs brings to the table. The ONLY thing he lacks is contact. He's got power, he's got discipline, he's got speed, he's got gold glove D... he just simply won't hit for a high AVG.

We definately need a catcher as you said. Hopefully we'll be able to trade an excess part(s) for one.

I agree...Dunn makes that team a lot more dangerous...he'll only be 29 during the '09 season and hopefully entering the prime of a big-time career

I don't understand why you don't have Moeller listed as the catcher???

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

The thing is there isn't many big time Catching prospects that will be helping a Major League team anytime soon. I think Catcher is the only spot on there that I would like to see management get from outside the organization. I just don't see David Ross on this team by July, if he is able to stay on the team and remain the starter I will be very surprised.

That lineup will be relatively young and cheap. I think that opens up the door for a good catcher or closer or whatever they need. I do think stubbs could be a good leadoff man. Hopefully this year he shows that he can become more consistant at making contact. It would be nice to have an outfield gold golve caliber in 2 out of the 3 positions.

AGon over the troika of SS in the system right now in '09?

Somehow, I don't think so. Janish is more likely.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I honestly don't think Dunn is long for this team. Hamilton, Bruce, Votto and the rest should make up for the reduction in homers.

I also happen to like what Stubbs brings to the table. The ONLY thing he lacks is contact. He's got power, he's got discipline, he's got speed, he's got gold glove D... he just simply won't hit for a high AVG.

We definately need a catcher as you said. Hopefully we'll be able to trade an excess part(s) for one.
    It doesn't make sense to trade a proven commodity (Dunn) for a catcher.

It does, however, make sense to trade an unproven commodity (Stubbs) for a catcher.

Between Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce, Denorfia, we're set in the OF for 2008 and going forward.

We have other needs to address, namely a future catcher, a future SS, and always more pitching.

I'm not convinced Cueto and Wood will develop, so that only leaves Harang and Bailey, since it doesn't seem hopeful Arroyo will be a part of the 2009 and later plan.

The Reds continue to have gaping holes to fill, and unfortunately don't seem to be pro-active in a solution.

I'm not convinced Cueto and Wood will develop, so that only leaves Harang and Bailey, since it doesn't seem hopeful Arroyo will be a part of the 2009 and later plan.
    Doesn't Arroyo's 2 year exstention through 2010 make it likely that he will be part of the team in 2009?

yeah...

It doesn't make sense to trade a proven commodity (Dunn) for a catcher.

It does, however, make sense to trade an unproven commodity (Stubbs) for a catcher.
    I'm not suggesting we trade Dunn for a catcher. I assume he'll be used towards pitching.

I know many would gladly have a Mike Cameron on the team. Well, that's the kind of guy we've got in Stubbs. Even better, he's still young enough to teach. It's beyond me why so many guys around here are willing to give up on him after his rookie year... he's got way too much upside to ditch now.

I'm not suggesting we trade Dunn for a catcher. I assume he'll be used towards pitching.

I know many would gladly have a Mike Cameron on the team. Well, that's the kind of guy we've got in Stubbs. Even better, he's still young enough to teach. It's beyond me why so many guys around here are willing to give up on him after his rookie year... he's got way too much upside to ditch now.
    We have OF depth right now in this organization. I know it doesn't look like it, but we do. Dunn, Denorfia, Hamilton, Freel, Griffey, Bruce, Stubbs. Some might toss in Hopper, Crosby and Dickerson, but I don't consider them in the OF depth mix, as all 3 of them are career minor leaguers, and will continue to be so.

That being said, pick your best 4 (Dunn, Denorfia, Bruce, Hamilton) and build with them in mind. Trade the rest for things that will help you in 2008 going forward.

------

And as for Arroyo's extension, I just don't see him playing the rest of his contract in Cincinnati. I wouldn't be surprised if he were traded this year or next.

Turn Off Ads?