Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Underestimate the Importance of a Fast Start

Worth The Wait

Don't Underestimate the Importance of a Fast Start

Well, here I go again........have at it RFS62

But seriously, hear me out:

I have always been of the belief that a good start for a team like the Reds is infintely more important than a good start for more "established" contenders like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, etc....

No sport hammers home the law of averages more so than baseball. You can only avoid having your weaknesses tear you down for so long. Conversely, if you have the guns, you can (usually) only struggle for so long before you hit your stride.

The Yankees can play .500 baseball for three months, and still live the dream that a major turnaround is possible. When a team like the Reds plays .500 ball for three months, it's most likely because they are a .500 team, period.

Let's face it, the back of our rotation is simply not strong enough for us to be a consistent team that wins more than they lose month after month.

HOWEVER...

Baseball is also a game of streaks, grooves, and luck. Sometimes, a fast start can propel a team to great season, even if they are somewhat ordinary after said start. The 1990 Reds are, of course, a great example a team that rode a hot April throughout an entire season. The 1984 Tigers also started 35-5 and never looked back.

The 1999 Reds are somewhat of an exception. They struggled in April (9-13 I believe?) and then got hot. But just imagine if they'd gone 11-11 in April

There's also a psychological factor at play for a team in the Reds' situation. The fanbase is still a bit jaded, a bit cranky, ready to jump off the bandwagon at the first sign of another subpar season. A hot start may be fool's gold, but that fool's gold can "fool" the fans for an entire season. It can also "fool" the players. Teams that dwindle in the standings have a tendancy to "drift" come mid-season. But if you've managed to keep yourself alive in the standings, the concentration, effort, and energy stay strong.

There is also the "pressure" the FO feels to add talent if the team shows signs early that they can contend.

The Reds play 25 games in April. Let's just say they managed a really hot start to the season, even if a lot of it was luck, smoke and mirrors. Let's say they went 17-8.

That 17-8 could basically propel them for an entire season. 17-8 would allow the Reds to play .500 the rest of the year and still have a very good shot at making the playoffs-- at the very least, it would keep them alive in the race deep into the season.

A 17-8 start also gives the Reds some wiggle room for what is most likely an inevitable stretch of losses. If the Reds mingle at .500 for two months, they will not be able to afford any real spiral of games. But fueled by a fast start, they can handle a couple of bad weeks and still not destroy their season.

Like I said, exceptions abound. But I truly believe that a team in our situation benefits SO much more from a hot April than teams with greater expectations.

I'm not saying anything silly here. I'm not saying the Cubs series is an "important" one, or that our season is lost if we don't win 17 games. Just illustrating something that I believe sometimes gets overlooked in the glare of a 162 game season.

I will say this, it IS the most important April of the 2007 season.

Let's get it started out right! Go Reds!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Don't Underestimate the Importance of a Fast Start

If 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006 have taught us anything, it's that a fast start doesn't mean diddly.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I could handle a start of 162-0. That should put us in place to win the division.
    ...And this one belongs to the Reds!!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006 have taught us anything, it's that a fast start doesn't mean diddly.
    In football it might be, in this game it's just a tear in a salted sea.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    1990 say otherwise. Without that fast start, the Reds likely don't even make the postseason.

the fast start of 2006 was done in by incredibly poor roster management and trades in June/July. All rookie GM mistakes. Hopefully he's past that now. He's made some really interesting moves this offseason (Burton, Livingston, Hamilton and AGon) but he's also acquired Conine, Stanton and still has Cormier on the roster. Bray and Maj are DL'd.

A fast start this year, if Krivsky doesn't get all jittery and trade Dunn for Dan Kolb and two one armed minor league pitchers could be what the Reds need to contend.

Even I am optimistic on opening day.

Go Reds!
    Suck it up cupcake.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Since all the games count the same, you can get to October by winning the most, or at least the most in your division.

The 1990 Reds were an example of how a fast start helped, but if they had that run in June, we'd be saying it's important to to have a good June.

Win the most out of 162 in your division, I don't know what else to tell ya.

This is the most important Reds opener in my lifetime.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Until next years opener.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    1990 say otherwise. Without that fast start, the Reds likely don't even make the postseason.

the fast start of 2006 was done in by incredibly poor roster management and trades in June/July. All rookie GM mistakes. Hopefully he's past that now. He's made some really interesting moves this offseason (Burton, Livingston, Hamilton and AGon) but he's also acquired Conine, Stanton and still has Cormier on the roster. Bray and Maj are DL'd.

A fast start this year, if Krivsky doesn't get all jittery and trade Dunn for Dan Kolb and two one armed minor league pitchers could be what the Reds need to contend.

Even I am optimistic on opening day.

Go Reds!
    Winning's always better than losing, but the 1990 team had an entire season to blow that fast start and it didn't. Acting like the division was won in April that season ignores the five months of hard work and adjustments the team made after that. The 1995 Reds fell flat out of the box. The winningest Reds team of the past 30 seasons, the 1999 team, struggled at the start of the season as well.

Obviously every game counts. No one's saying that April games don't matter, but what makes you a winning team in the long run is being a good team for the bulk of the season. I was talking about this last week in fact. If things go right in April or go wrong in April the more important thing will be whether the team that jells to play the bulk of the season needs to be a good one.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

This is a "must win series" for the Reds.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

I think it's more important for marketing and ticket sales.

You can create a buzz that could be sustained if they come out of the gate hot. Hamilton, Dunn, several potential good story lines could fuel ticket sales.

If they start slow, I'd bet it would be harder to regain the momemtum they have now coming out of a strong spring training.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

... the power the schwartz.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Worth The Wait

Certain teams are beyond hope. I'd put at least 4 of those teams on the list. IMO, the Royals could go 20-5 in April and still have no realistic shot at the post-season. No matter what they do, there simply isn't enough ammo to sustain anything.

I am operating under the assumption that THIS Red's team has a bit more of a glimmer of hope. Arroyo and Harang are certainly a better 1-2 punch than any of the rotations of the recent past, and we now have at least a SLIMMER of hope that the end of the rotation may not be embarrassing.

And 62 makes a great pont-- perception sort of becomes reality. It really helps a team like the Reds ratchet things up a bit if they come out smoking.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe that this Reds team is talented enough to NOT totally self-destruct down the road. I believe that THIS team could sustain a good start much better than the teams listed from the past.

I agree with M2 on this one. A win is a win, Fast start or a good finish are equal but a fast start is good for the nerves,
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Didn't the 1975 team start out really slow until Rose moved the 3rd and room was found for Foster? IIRC they got it in gear in mid May and never looked back.

Not that one year is proof of anything, but while a fast start is good for morale (team and fans) the season is too long and it's easy for it to be frittered away. That said, a fast start is a nice thing to have.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?