Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game 1 Thoughts...

Game 1 Thoughts...

Saw game...but away from computer...so...

1. After re-reading gamethread, it appears only 1 post of "oh my God, we're gonna win it all"...

2. But surprisingly, many pages skewering Narron's decision to leave Harang in the game...

3. All joy for the Dunner...

4.And even a new nickname...Bonzo Gonzo

Okay, some quick observations:

1. It doesn't matter how Harang pitched in the 7th...it doesn't matter if those pitches were "non-stress"...it simply was a risk we didn't need to take...not only the risk of injury or fatigue, but also it risked Harang not leaving the game on a good note...I personally like Narron and major props to RedFanAlways1966 for his great post on Harang's pitch counts from last year, but it simply is a risk not needed, IMHO...however, this isn't nearly as insane as the Brewers were with Ben Sheets today...may they run him out there for extra innings every time they start him...

2. Bonzo Gonzo is the real deal defensively...that was a sensational play he made today...

3. Ole Farney makes it interesting, doesn't he???...wonder if Griffey wasn't saying "nice play" after the butchering of the play in the 5th??...but then again, Griff probably said "no way I get to that ball" on the one Freel caught in the 6th...

4. If the major worry of the day was EE not driving in runs with 2 based loaded chances, it's a good day...he'll be just fine...and yes, his defense continues to get better...

5. Thanks to Cincy fans for their reception to Josh Hamilton...the smile never left his face...may he always remember the victories it took to get here!!

6. Saarloos looked sharp...nice to see!!

7. Is the worst day of the year the day preceeding the All-star game (when there are literally no sporting events to enjoy), or tommorrow when the Reds always have the day off?????

Extra Note: Baseball Tonite phone interview with Steve Phillips:

a. Harang was "sensational"
    b. Reds defense is "definitely better" with Freel in center, noting the diving catch..."I don't think Griffey could get to that"....also, "the defense will be better because of Gonzalez at SS"
    c. He doesn't mind Dunn batting 2nd..."if he makes more contact"..."he can really help an offense as a #2 hitter driving in runs"...he gave credit to Brooks Jacoby...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Game 1 Thoughts...

Gonzo looked better at the plate than expected. He stayed fairly disciplined and made contact. To me that will be a major key for him this year.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

1. It doesn't matter how Harang pitched in the 7th...it doesn't matter if those pitches were "non-stress"...it simply was a risk we didn't need to take...not only the risk of injury or fatigue, but also it risked Harang not leaving the game on a good note...I personally like Narron and major props to RedFanAlways1966 for his great post on Harang's pitch counts from last year, but it simply is a risk not needed, IMHO...however, this isn't nearly as insane as the Brewers were with Ben Sheets today...may they run him out there for extra innings every time they start him...
    Agree 100%, except when you said "I personally like Narron." Not necessary at all to ring up over 100 pitches today in a game that wasn't exactly tight. But as I said in the game thread, when you drop millions on some new, (in WK's mind) shiny toys for the bullpen, why not use them today? Stanton and Cormier couldn't be used? How about Burton?

That's my only issue...if Narron was scared to use them, then this team isn't very different from last year. Especially when talking about the bullpen.

Otherwise, great game today. So glad I took the day off. Dunn lhad a nice day at the plate and Freel had his moments in the field and on the basepaths. Hamilton had a nice piece of hitting in his one AB, though Murton stole a hit from him. Jr looked good in right and Gonzalez looked good at SS.

Harang

Well I Kind of disagree. Harang is the Reds best pitcher. He was sailing along.
    What were to happen if the BP collapsed in the 7th? Would people be saying
    he didn't stay in long enough? Back in the day pitchers were expected to go 9 innings.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

While I know Zambrano is wild, especially when he gets worked up, I love that we drew 6 walks today. The walks from Phillips and Gonzalez were particularly good to see.

As for Freel, what happened when he got thrown out on the basepaths? Everybody likes to talk about speed on the bases and look at SB, but from what I've seen, his aggressiveness on the basepaths hurts as much as it helps. Given that, would you put a guy with a .280/.360/.360 line at the top of your order? Not that we have a better option with Deno down, but particularly with Dunn behind him, Freel needs to not take extra risks.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I listened to the radio for the first 4 innings and the TV side The last couple. Thom sounded very very good. The play-by-play was excellent. It was also very nice to hear Joe......made me misty eyed.
    Let's play two!!!

Re: Harang

Quote Originally Posted by Col_ IN Reds fan View Post
    What were to happen if the BP collapsed in the 7th? Would people be saying
    he didn't stay in long enough?
    Personally, no...in fact, I'm glad I can make this argument because it doesn't look like I'm 2nd guessing (Harang rolled thru the 7th inning with no problems)...I'd be saying the bullpen didn't get it done and should get better...it's never a legitimate excuse to expose your ace to potential overuse/injury/fatigue simply because of a lack of confidence in your bullpen on April 2nd...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    Personally, no...in fact, I'm glad I can make this argument because it doesn't look like I'm 2nd guessing (Harang rolled thru the 7th inning with no problems)...I'd be saying the bullpen didn't get it done and should get better...it's never a legitimate excuse to expose your ace to potential overuse/injury/fatigue simply because of a lack of confidence in your bullpen on April 2nd...
    Exactly...and why would Jerry have a lack of confidence in the bullpen? WK and that guy from Extreme Makeover spent millions over the past year adding and dropping relievers like they were crackhead fantasy owners. The bullpen should be airtight by now.

While I was kind of hoping that Harang would be pinch hit for his last AB, I don't think that it was a horrible decision. He doesn't have a history of arm trouble, he's proven in the past he can throw a lot of innings and it didn't look like his mechanics were suffering too much, I think all those things should have been and probably were taken into consideration, also the fact that the Cubs' hitters are apparently stupid. He has a very compact and effortless motion, I think he's one of the few guys who can get away with throwing a lot of pitches and I don't think 113 is too many.

Neither EE nor BP looked very patient at the plate, but it was probably just being a little anxious for the first game. I fully expect EE to be more patient this season, I'm not yet sure about Phillips.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    As for Freel, what happened when he got thrown out on the basepaths? Everybody likes to talk about speed on the bases and look at SB, but from what I've seen, his aggressiveness on the basepaths hurts as much as it helps. Given that, would you put a guy with a .280/.360/.360 line at the top of your order? Not that we have a better option with Deno down, but particularly with Dunn behind him, Freel needs to not take extra risks.
    I generally agree with you Rick, but this particular play was more based off bad luck.

I'm not sure if you saw it, but the ball was thrown away on his infield single and Freel had to make a quick judgment call on whether to try for the extra base. If he doesn't move fast, then he has no chance for it. On that play, Freel will be safe at least 90% of the time, it was unfortunate that the ball bounced right to Lee, otherwise Freel is safe without a throw. This was a case of a really unfortunate bounce rather than Freel's usual careless baserunning.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Exactly...and why would Jerry have a lack of confidence in the bullpen? WK and that guy from Extreme Makeover spent a year adding and dropping relievers like they were crackhead fantasy owners. The bullpen should be airtight by now.
    Whether it should be or not, we all know it isn't, and I'm sure WK and Narron also know it's not, even if they don't talk about it publicly. I don't mind throwing Harang a little longer than other pitchers so we don't have to find out until other games. And no matter how good our bullpen is no one they bring in is going to be better than our ace and I don't think that 113 pitches is too many for Harang.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Exactly...and why would Jerry have a lack of confidence in the bullpen? WK and that guy from Extreme Makeover spent millions over the past year adding and dropping relievers like they were crackhead fantasy owners. The bullpen should be airtight by now.
    This wasn't a lack of confidence in the bullpen. This was an example of your durable, ace pitcher cruising along. When people were clamouring for him to be removed he was getting outs comfortably. At no point was he laboring.

You can't be afraid to let a guy like Harang throw some pitches. He's a big guy, he can handle it. I know it's opening day, but Harang threw plenty in spring training and he was throwing the ball well. If Harang was having some trouble you would have seen Narron give him the hook much more quickly.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I don't have a problem with Freel's out at 2nd today. You have to make a split second decision, and Freel makes it easily unless the ball bounces off the camera right to Lee.

If he doesn't try there, you are basically telling him never to go in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I don't have a problem with Freel's out at 2nd today. You have to make a split second decision, and Freel makes it easily unless the ball bounces off the camera right to Lee.

If he doesn't try there, you are basically telling him never to go in that situation.
    Yeah, I'm usually very critical of Freel's base running, but that was just dumb luck that the ball bounced right back to Lee.

Heard in the tunnel after the first pitch- "Mr Mallory, Jim Bowden on the phone..."
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Turn Off Ads?