Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rose in the FSN/WLW booths

Rose in the FSN/WLW booths

It was good to see & hear the Hit King in the booth with George & Chris then hop over to the radio side to talk to Marty & Thom. It's very clear he still has a passion for baseball and for the Reds. Unfortunately for him, he made his bed. It was great to hear him on the air today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rose in the FSN/WLW booths

I think the Reds should try and get him on as a full time color guy for TV. I doubt that will ever be allowed, but it would be a first step.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I was standing next to the broadcast tent where Willy Cunningham was interviewing Rose. In fact, when Pete walked up I didn't recognize him because he had a hat and some Elvis sunglasses on. My father picked him out.

Anyway, it was an interesting interview with war stories. His comments about sitting next to Selig at a ballgame were particularly funny. But at the risk of inspiring another round of Pete debate, I'll share this. At the very end of the interview Pete blurts out "Take the points" as a joke (they just got done talking about the national championship). It wasn't a horrable thing to say, unless of course you were banned from baseball for betting and had let thousands of fans down and then clung to an ever-changing story about the nature of the betting.

I'm sure somewhere his publicist was having a heart attack. It just struck me how "politically unsavy", and frankly classless that was to say.

All my bad fealings aside it was really cool to stand 3 feet away from Pete and see him be interviewed live. The comment at the end was just a rude awakining from baseball fantesy back to the reality of his shortcommings as a person.

Worth The Wait

It's very clear he still has a passion for baseball and for the Reds.
    Too bad he didn't have that passion when he managed the Reds. Clearly, the thrill and emotion of either winning or losing the game wasn't enough for him.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I think the Reds should try and get him on as a full time color guy for TV. I doubt that will ever be allowed, but it would be a first step.
    Pete may have been blessed with unnatural ability to hit a baseball, but he's a walking public relations nightmare of the first order and politically radioactive in the general baseball community. Not exactly the kind of guy you want front and center attached to your product 162 games per year.

The best thing for Pete and everyone involved is for him to stay as far away from the spotlight as possible, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

He has no chance of being in the booth. Even if he ever had a chance, he would have blown that opportunity today when he used the word "pissed" on the WLW broadcast with Marty & Thom.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Too bad he didn't have that passion when he managed the Reds. Clearly, the thrill and emotion of either winning or losing the game wasn't enough for him.
    Actually he said almost that very thing on air with Willy today. The thril of managing wasn't enough for him. He *needed* to bet to get an "edge".

"Edge" was his word, not mine.

Hearing Pete talk about baseball makes his train wreck life even more tragic. The man has a wealth of baseball knowledge that the game truly needs. It doesn't need all the baggage that he has created, that comes along with him. Just a real shame.

I enjoyed Pete's appearance, he's not one to shy away from the mic, but he was wrong when he declared that the Reds used to be the only team that played on the opening day. The Senators had a similar arrangement in the American League and often opened on the same day as the Reds and sometimes even before them.

Did anyone hear when Pete was being interviewed by Willie and Petes cell phone started to ring. Pete made the joke "hey I bet that's Buds calling me now".Then Pete made the comment "Well the caller ID says Unknown Caller". Did anyone make a guess that it was Pete Jr. calling Pops from the slammer?? That was my first thought.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    At the very end of the interview Pete blurts out "Take the points" as a joke (they just got done talking about the national championship). It wasn't a horrable thing to say, unless of course you were banned from baseball for betting and had let thousands of fans down and then clung to an ever-changing story about the nature of the betting.
    I actually like that about him. It's not the smartest thing to do when you're trying to make a case to be reinstated by a longshot, but Pete will be Pete, and I can appreciate that.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I enjoyed Pete's appearance, he's not one to shy away from the mic, but he was wrong when he declared that the Reds used to be the only team that played on the opening day. The Senators had a similar arrangement in the American League and often opened on the same day as the Reds and sometimes even before them.
    Just a small butt-kiss, but WOY i really enjoy your posts and general knowledge of the history of the game.

End smooch.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I actually like that about him. It's not the smartest thing to do when you're trying to make a case to be reinstated by a longshot, but Pete will be Pete, and I can appreciate that.
    I find it amusing.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I think the Reds should try and get him on as a full time color guy for TV.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Pete may have been blessed with unnatural ability to hit a baseball, but he's a walking public relations nightmare of the first order and politically radioactive in the general baseball community. Not exactly the kind of guy you want front and center attached to your product 162 games per year.

The best thing for Pete and everyone involved is for him to stay as far away from the spotlight as possible, IMO.
    Yes.

Turn Off Ads?