Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Reds' uniforms??

Voters
261. You may not vote on this poll
  • They rock...hot, sexy, awesome!!

192 73.56%
  • They suck...atrocious, wretched, god-awful!!

6 2.30%
  • They are just okay...nothing special

57 21.84%
  • Uniforms, what uniforms???

6 2.30%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Okay, an official uniform poll...

Re: Okay, an official uniform poll...

I'm pretty pleased with the look. As most of you know, I am a big fan of the '68 - '71 home uniforms. They were the best, in my opinion. One thing that helped set them apart was the belt loops on the pants, similar to what the Tigers wear at home, now. Just a classic look.

I also was a big fan of the vests that they wore on the road from '61 - '66. It was very similar to the look that they wore the past few years. I was dissapointed that they never wore the road uniforms of the past few years with red sleeves underneath. I was hoping that the Reds might keep some version of the vests in the new uniforms, be it the road jerseys or the alternate. I think it would have been a good "nod to tradition" to do that, and still think they might include it at some point down the road. I am not a big fan of the red alternate jerseys and have hopes that a version of the vest might replace that in the future.

Overall, I'm happy with all the "Red" in the uniforms. Didn't know if I would like the piping, but it looks pretty good. Like the piping on the pants. Glad they reduced the # size on the backs of the uniforms. The new lettering font looks pretty nice. The all red caps look great. There was way too much black in the old set. It will be interesting to see how the road uniforms look on the field, and, if they wear helmets with the black bill on the road. I'm not a big fan of the new helmets with the vents in the top and back, but it isn't very noticeable since they are not "two tone" like the Mets. Those are really ugly. Overall, a 9 out of 10 for the home uniforms.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

2. Turn Off Ads?

IMO the look is unoriginal and nondescript. In a way, I guess you could call it "classic" in that all baseball uniforms used to be just as unoriginal and nondescript as these.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    IMO the look is unoriginal and nondescript. In a way, I guess you could call it "classic" in that all baseball uniforms used to be just as unoriginal and nondescript as these.
    The Reds have been hardly "Original" before and some folks loved that look, or learned to hate it (1995-98 Uggh)

1956 They follow the Cubs and go sleeveless

1965 In an attempt to be truly original the 1965 Team placed the players name under their numbers, the only MLB team ever. They switched it back the next year.

1999 The Reds add black to their colors, only 9 years after the White Sox started the trend.

If the Reds want to be original in their look then they should all pull their pants up to their knees.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If the Reds want to be original in their look then they should all pull their pants up to their knees.
    Don't know if even that would be original, Don't I remember the White Sox having a Uniform with shorts once?

Oh Yeah... Here it is
    http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Em...ingMoments.htm
    August 8, 1976 and the Chicago White Sox
    are wearing shorts for the first game of a doubleheader
    against the Kansas City Royals
    Last edited by RedsFan75; 04-04-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

The Reds have been hardly "Original" before and some folks loved that look, or learned to hate it (1995-98 Uggh)

1956 They follow the Cubs and go sleeveless

1965 In an attempt to be truly original the 1965 Team placed the players name under their numbers, the only MLB team ever. They switched it back the next year.

1999 The Reds add black to their colors, only 9 years after the White Sox started the trend.

We could deconstruct it to the point where any team wearing a jersey and pants is derivative and unoriginal, because someone else wore a jersey and pants before them. Hooray for the shorts-wearing 1976 White Sox.

Or we could acknowledge the originality of the combination of a sleeveless jersey, black trim, and red pinstripes into a look that was instantly recognizable as the Cincinnati Reds.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Don't know if even that would be original, Don't I remember the White Sox having a Uniform with shorts once?

Oh Yeah... Here it is
    Yep and that was a 25 year old idea then as well.

Or we could acknowledge the originality of the combination of a sleeveless jersey, black trim, and red pinstripes into a look that is instantly recognizable as the Cincinnati Reds.
    Only, that look was not recognizable to enough people to merit keeping it.

At least that's what the puppet masters say on the issue.

I guess some folks would call a black tux with black tie unoriginal and nondescript, choosing to go with the powder blue tux instead. Not saying that you personally would choose that, but years from now, I suspect the black tux with black tie will still look good. The powder blue tux? Not so much.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Some have expressed their desire for stirrups to return, and I couldn't agree more. Is there any doubt that the addition of the red to the bottoms of these makes all the difference in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I guess some folks would call a black tux with black tie unoriginal and nondescript, choosing to go with the powder blue tux instead. Not saying that you personally would choose that, but years from now, I suspect the black tux with black tie will still look good. The powder blue tux? Not so much.
    The point of baseball uniforms is to be somewhat distinct from the competition.

I guess we could go back to the "classic" look of plain white unis for the home team and plain gray unis for the visitors. But that would be boring, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    If you look closely (save the pics and blow them up to tell), they appear to have gotten rid of the black drop shadows on the names, and kept them, but not as pronounced, for the numbers.

Good decision!

Looks like the black is still on the names just way less showing. The offset in the revealing was much more pronounced than the offset is now. For the better i must admit

The point of baseball uniforms is to be somewhat distinct from the competition.

I guess we could go back to the "classic" look of plain white unis for the home team and plain gray unis for the visitors. But that would be boring, wouldn't it?
    Nope, but I'm probably in the minority.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Like 'em a lot.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I like them alot b/c there no black in them!! What do the away jerseys look like??
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Yep and that was a 25 year old idea then as well.

We definitely do not need for those uniforms to make a comeback.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?