Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Drew Stubbs injured, will keep playing

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Drew Stubbs injured, will keep playing

Sean McClelland wrote this in the Dayton Daily News, put up on the website about 2 hours ago.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...dragonsb1.html
    Drew Stubbs is penciled in as the Dayton Dragons' leadoff hitter and center fielder for Thursday night's season opener against West Michigan.

But Stubbs, the Cincinnati Reds' top draft pick in 2006 from the University of Texas, missed a workout Tuesday at Fifth Third Field. He was due in town later after seeing a doctor in Arizona about a turf toe problem.

"Eventually, he may need to have surgery, probably at the end of the season," manager Donnie Scott said. "But he's very functional."

Stubbs, who hit .252 with six home runs and 24 RBIs in 56 games last summer for Billings (Mont.), is part of a group moving up from rookie ball.

"As far as position players, this is as solid of a team that Dayton's ever seen," Scott said. "It doesn't have the power of the '01 team, but they're better baseball players."

Scott pulled out this stat: Last season, Billings had 127 two-out RBI hits in the half-season Pioneer League. "These guys know how to get it done in the clutch," he said.

The Dragons are poised for an eighth straight sold-out Midwest League season. Fifth Third Field contains 7,230 permanent seats plus about 1,500 lawn seats, which often are available on game days.

"I've heard stories about how great the fans are here," said shortstop Chris Valaika, who hit .324 at Billings and will bat third.

• Scott says he will wear No. 14 in honor of Pete Rose and would like Rose to appear at Fifth Third Field. "I've got his number," he said, "but I'm too afraid to call him."

• What's new for fans this season? Nothing dramatic, although Mike Vander Wood, director of media relations and broadcasting, said the team continues to focus on customer service and keeping the in-game entertainment fresh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Drew Stubbs injured, will keep playing

Rumor has it that they wouldn't let Stubbs get the surgery done before the season in an effort to getting him used to playing hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Rumor has it that they wouldn't let Stubbs get the surgery done before the season in an effort to getting him used to playing hurt.
    I assume this was an attempt at humor
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Yeah. I apologize if it were distasteful. I didn't mean it to be.

At the near Paleozoic age of 51, I suffered that injury. After limping and whining my way back to recovery, three months later, I finally had the full appreciation of "turf toe". Prior to having a pulled groin, I laughed openly at athletes who missed games for that ridiculously named condition. I am a sympathizer at this point. As a physician, I'm going to actively campaign to re-name these injuries, if for no other reason than to have my wife take these ailments a bit more seriously. Would that be a Stubbs' Toe?
    Last edited by fargo55; 04-04-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    At the near Paleozoic age of 51, I suffered that injury. After limping and whining my way back to recovery, three months later, I finally had the full appreciation of "turf toe". Prior to having a pulled groin, I laughed openly at athletes who missed games for that ridiculously named condition. I am a sympathizer at this point. As a physician, I'm going to actively campaign to re-name these injuries, if for no other reason than to have my wife take these ailments a bit more seriously. Would that be a Stubbs' Toe?

Now THAT is humor !!!

That's phenomenal news.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    And, of course, the only reasonably-accepted method of treating Stubbs' Toe is to have the injured athlete wear a specially-designed Drew Shoe. :

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    And, of course, the only reasonably-accepted method of treating Stubbs' Toe is to have the injured athlete wear a specially-designed Drew Shoe. :

This went totally over my head until I googled Drew Shoes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    This went totally over my head until I googled Drew Shoes
    I just thought it was supposed to rhyme.... shows what I know.

Turn Off Ads?