Turn Off Ads?

Thread: As far as opening days go...

As far as opening days go...

I think yesterday's was the most memorable opening day. I was not at the game, but everything about the day and the game just seemed perfect. So many things made it memorable: the weather was postcard-esque, the new RED uniforms look great (or so I think!), Harang was terrific, good bullpen effort, Dunn's two homers, the new Batter's Eye Pavillion, Marty & Joe & Thom, Josh Hamilton, Pete Rose, Eric Davis, and oh yeah...the victory! All in all, yesterday just made it seem official that Reds baseball is back and that Castellini & co. are going to turn this franchise around.

After thinking about it the rest of the day, I think Opening Day 2007 goes down as my favorite so far. (Bear in mind I'm a late twenty-something.) What about you all? What are your favorite opening day games and memories?

Just for fun I'll put down some of my other favorite opening day memories. And some least favorites, too.

Favorites, in no particular order:
    1) Randa's walk-off on Opening Day 2005. I think this was the same year Dunn had two opening day homers off Pedro Martinez....right?
    2) Paul O'Neill goes 4-4 in opening day victory against Dodgers in 1989.
    3) 1990 - in Houston, Reds win in extra innings. Memorable because of what was to come that year!
    4) 2000 - Junior's debut as a Red.
    5) Eric Davis bats lead off for his Reds return in 1996.
    6) The excitement of the new GABP in 2003

Least favorites, in no particular order:
    1) First inning of the 2006 season. Pierre lead off with a triple and it was all down hill from there. Tainted the excitement of the new management & ownership.
    2) Sunday night game, 1994 - Ray Lankford hit the leadoff homerun vs. Rijo and it was just a cold, yucky night. Shouldn't even count.
    3) The sudden death of John McSherry - 1997, I believe it was?
    4) Eric Davis goes 0-4 (with 4 ks, I think?) while batting lead off for his Reds return in 1996.
    5) Brett Tomko gets shelled by Giants on opening day 1999.
    6) The misery of losing the first game in the new GABP in 2003.
    "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come out, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.
    -A. Barlett Giamatti

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: As far as opening days go...

Of the ones I've attended, this one was second only to the Randa walkoff homer game. It was just an outstanding day at the old ballyard yesterday.

I've been to five Opening Days, in all. A close third on my list of best experiences was 1994. It would have been even better if it hadn't been snowing!
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

The last one at Riverfront (2002) was also a very good one with Larkin coming in on a sac fly to rightfield to win the game. Sosa came up gunning and it was a close play but Lark beat it and the Reds walked off with a win. That one is probably my favorite of the ones I have been to (McSherry game, 2002, 2003, 2006).

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PressBox View Post

Favorites, in no particular order:
    1) Randa's walk-off on Opening Day 2005. I think this was the same year Dunn had two opening day homers off Pedro Martinez....right?
    2) Paul O'Neill goes 4-4 in opening day victory against Dodgers in 1989.
    3) 1990 - in Houston, Reds win in extra innings. Memorable because of what was to come that year!
    4) 2000 - Junior's debut as a Red.
    5) Eric Davis bats lead off for his Reds return in 1996.
    6) The excitement of the new GABP in 2003

Least favorites, in no particular order:
    1) First inning of the 2006 season. Pierre lead off with a triple and it was all down hill from there. Tainted the excitement of the new management & ownership.
    2) Sunday night game, 1994 - Ray Lankford hit the leadoff homerun vs. Rijo and it was just a cold, yucky night. Shouldn't even count.
    3) The sudden death of John McSherry - 1997, I believe it was?
    4) Eric Davis goes 0-4 (with 4 ks, I think?) while batting lead off for his Reds return in 1996.
    5) Brett Tomko gets shelled by Giants on opening day 1999.
    6) The misery of losing the first game in the new GABP in 2003.
    Probably being a touch nitpicky on this, but the second homer was off Braden Looper I believe. Looper didn't get a guy out in that ninth inning.
    No one expects the butterfly

The 2005 Opening Day was incredible. I was there and not at yesterdays but I can't believe yesterday could have been better than that one.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?