Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think This Trade Would Fly?

Think This Trade Would Fly?

Since we have gotten Opening Day out of the way, it is time for Wayne K. to start making his moves. And what better way than to get that closer the Reds need:

Reds trade RHP Todd Coffey to Houston for RHP Brad Lidge.

Last I heard, the Astros are entertaining offers for Lidge, whom they think needs a change of scenery. Lidge hasn't been the same since he gave up the home run to Pujols two years ago. And blowing his first save of the season yesterday, it didn't take the boo birds long to get on him. The Astros can turn the closing chores over to Dan Wheeler while Coffey can help with the setup role along with Chad Qualls.

For the Reds they get a veteran closer in Lidge while Stanton and Weathers move to the setup roles. Losing Coffey is offset with the young arms the Reds have in the pen and at Louisville (Majewski, Bray & Salmon). Opinions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Think This Trade Would Fly?

if we want someone to blow saves why dont we sign Danny Graves? no.. but Lidge's price tag probably is higher than just Coffey

No questions asked I would do that trade. Send Milton along and split his salary so that the total trade comes out salary neutral.

He is much better than people around Houston believe he is. He saved 32 of 38 last year. That is roughly 85% save rate. Eddie G. only converted 8 of 10 save chances. That works out to 80%. Brad Lidge would look good in a Reds' uniform.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-03-2007 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    No questions asked I would do that trade. Send Milton along and split his salary so that the total trade comes out salary neutral.
    Eric Milton pitching in Houston would be a sight to behold. Then he'd just need a midseason trade to Colorado to complete his circuit of the Four Ballparks of the Apocalypse (Philly, Cincy, Houston and Colorado).

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Lidge is done. The last thing we need is a closer with confidence issues.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Lidge is done. The last thing we need is a closer with confidence issues.
    Agreed, it's a shame too. He was one of the most dominant closers I have seen for a couple year span. Of course so was Gagne but his decline has been more physical in nature.

Seems like with the exception of a few (Rivera, Hoffman, etc.) dominant closers burn out really quick compared to other positions.

No thanks. I'll take Coffey over him at this point.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    That's apples and oranges. Adding Milton to any trade is like adding ketchup to a chocolate cake mix.

Trading our best reliever (in terms of trade value) for a 1 year rental of Lidge (who's expensive and stinks) is not the way to rebuild the Reds.

BTW, I seem to recall that each of Fast Eddies 2 blown saves last year were unearned runs.

no thanks.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Here's a guy I wouldn't mind WK making a run at...

Brewers RHP Jose Capellan, who was sent to the minors in the final player cut of spring, notified the Brewers that he would like to be traded to another team. Capellan made 61 appearances for the Brewers last season.

I think you correctly identify Lidge as a better bullpen arm then Coffey (based upon K/9 and K/BB-two pretty important attributes for the pen). Basically their FIPs are pretty similar but Lidge has better peripherals (I all but ignore ERA for pitchers especially bullpen arms).

Here's the thing though.... you'd be giving up 5 years of cheap Coffey to get roughly two expensive years of Lidge (at $5M this year and who knows next year). I think there is wiggle room to get the Astros to either give up more or take some salary back....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'd only do that trade if Mitch Williams, Byung-Hyun Kim and the ghost of Donnie Moore were thrown in.

Honestly, Brad Lidge is toast and he ought to retire before he does himself irreparable psychological damage.
    Last edited by M2; 04-03-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Trade them Jr. for Lidge straight up.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Here's a guy I wouldn't mind WK making a run at...

Brewers RHP Jose Capellan, who was sent to the minors in the final player cut of spring, notified the Brewers that he would like to be traded to another team. Capellan made 61 appearances for the Brewers last season.
    I wondered about him as well but you would think with all the problems the Brewers had, if he was any good, he would be on the roster over Vargas, Villeneuva, or Matt Wise?
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Junior, Coffey, Milton

for

Luke Scott, Brad Lidge, and a prospect

Turn Off Ads?