Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: A Plan for the Riverfront?

  1. #1
    So long old friend rotnoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Posts
    1,264

    A Plan for the Riverfront?

    I saw a banner hanging from GABP on the way home today and decided to check out the website http://www.crpark.org. There's a slideshow detailing a plan to put parks along the riverfront between the stadiums. It looks all well and good, but seems on the surface to be an extension of Sawyer Point. Is that what we really want there, more park space?

    I like the idea of green space as much as the next guy, but there is no where to go have a drink or a meal before the game. I find myself eating in the suburbs before the game, running into downtown for the game, and getting the heck out as soon as the game's over heading for the burbs again. How about a sports bar or 10? How about some restarurants closer than Fountain Square?

    The comparision to Louisville's riverfront seems pretty apt. There is a lot of open space by the river and near the ballpark, but you have to go into the city for night life. It might work in minor league cities (no offense Louisville), but this is a major league stadium with major league concesssion prices.

    There are certainly some solid ideas in there and it would look nice from the entertainment district in Newport, but is this what we really want?
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

    -Pete Rose

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I saw a banner hanging from GABP on the way home today and decided to check out the website http://www.crpark.org. There's a slideshow detailing a plan to put parks along the riverfront between the stadiums. It looks all well and good, but seems on the surface to be an extension of Sawyer Point. Is that what we really want there, more park space?

    I like the idea of green space as much as the next guy, but there is no where to go have a drink or a meal before the game. I find myself eating in the suburbs before the game, running into downtown for the game, and getting the heck out as soon as the game's over heading for the burbs again. How about a sports bar or 10? How about some restarurants closer than Fountain Square?

    The comparision to Louisville's riverfront seems pretty apt. There is a lot of open space by the river and near the ballpark, but you have to go into the city for night life. It might work in minor league cities (no offense Louisville), but this is a major league stadium with major league concesssion prices.

    There are certainly some solid ideas in there and it would look nice from the entertainment district in Newport, but is this what we really want?
    From the looks of it, the park is intended to be adjacent to the Banks project, not an "instead of." If done right, it could be a nice complement to some shops, restaurants and pubs in the Banks project.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  4. #3
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    From the looks of it, the park is intended to be adjacent to the Banks project, not an "instead of." If done right, it could be a nice complement to some shops, restaurants and pubs in the Banks project.
    Yeah, it says that in at least two places.

    I have heard nothing about this... it's very beautiful! I wonder how soon construction will begin after the appropriate approvals are received (and how long it will take).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  5. #4
    Porkchop Sandwiches DoogMinAmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Homebase, Ohio
    Posts
    2,540

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    It looks awesome, what a great compliment to the Banks, whenever it happens. Things like this could definitely spark development.

    International Friendship Park is similarly hella cool, but is in the middle of nowhere, so few people know about what a gem it is. Even so, it has sparked a high end condo development on the near east side.

    For those who have not seen it, it is just east of the Montgomery Inn Boathouse, and is definitely worth going at least once, if not many times.

    Add to this the recent news of one river place, and the river seems like a future hot spot (as it should be).
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

    Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    I really can't get excited anymore about all these proposed downtown developments, parks, etc. It looks wonderful but I'll believe it when I see it.

  7. #6
    So long old friend rotnoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Yeah, it says that in at least two places.

    I have heard nothing about this... it's very beautiful! I wonder how soon construction will begin after the appropriate approvals are received (and how long it will take).
    Sorry, my tired eyes missed that part. I amend my opinion to "Heck Yeah! Another park and more green space is gonna rock"
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

    -Pete Rose

  8. #7
    Bada Bing cincy09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Zanesvegas, OH
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    Sounds great........."when and if"
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

  9. #8
    Supreme Jar Opener
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    288

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    It also shows a few restaurants and cafes as part of the parks... I think it's a great idea.
    "There are people who don't like baseball? But... Baseball is the coolest thing ever!" -Zombie's 5 year old daughter.

  10. #9
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    It certainly would be better than what's there now.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  11. #10
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,397

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    It'll be great- a big nice park with a gravel parking lot between it an FWW.
    Way to go Cincinnati!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  12. #11
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I really can't get excited anymore about all these proposed downtown developments, parks, etc. It looks wonderful but I'll believe it when I see it.
    What he said.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25