Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A Plan for the Riverfront?

A Plan for the Riverfront?

I saw a banner hanging from GABP on the way home today and decided to check out the website http://www.crpark.org. There's a slideshow detailing a plan to put parks along the riverfront between the stadiums. It looks all well and good, but seems on the surface to be an extension of Sawyer Point. Is that what we really want there, more park space?

I like the idea of green space as much as the next guy, but there is no where to go have a drink or a meal before the game. I find myself eating in the suburbs before the game, running into downtown for the game, and getting the heck out as soon as the game's over heading for the burbs again. How about a sports bar or 10? How about some restarurants closer than Fountain Square?

The comparision to Louisville's riverfront seems pretty apt. There is a lot of open space by the river and near the ballpark, but you have to go into the city for night life. It might work in minor league cities (no offense Louisville), but this is a major league stadium with major league concesssion prices.

There are certainly some solid ideas in there and it would look nice from the entertainment district in Newport, but is this what we really want?
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Plan for the Riverfront?

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I saw a banner hanging from GABP on the way home today and decided to check out the website http://www.crpark.org. There's a slideshow detailing a plan to put parks along the riverfront between the stadiums. It looks all well and good, but seems on the surface to be an extension of Sawyer Point. Is that what we really want there, more park space?

I like the idea of green space as much as the next guy, but there is no where to go have a drink or a meal before the game. I find myself eating in the suburbs before the game, running into downtown for the game, and getting the heck out as soon as the game's over heading for the burbs again. How about a sports bar or 10? How about some restarurants closer than Fountain Square?

The comparision to Louisville's riverfront seems pretty apt. There is a lot of open space by the river and near the ballpark, but you have to go into the city for night life. It might work in minor league cities (no offense Louisville), but this is a major league stadium with major league concesssion prices.

There are certainly some solid ideas in there and it would look nice from the entertainment district in Newport, but is this what we really want?
    From the looks of it, the park is intended to be adjacent to the Banks project, not an "instead of." If done right, it could be a nice complement to some shops, restaurants and pubs in the Banks project.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    From the looks of it, the park is intended to be adjacent to the Banks project, not an "instead of." If done right, it could be a nice complement to some shops, restaurants and pubs in the Banks project.
    Yeah, it says that in at least two places.

I have heard nothing about this... it's very beautiful! I wonder how soon construction will begin after the appropriate approvals are received (and how long it will take).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Porkchop Sandwiches

It looks awesome, what a great compliment to the Banks, whenever it happens. Things like this could definitely spark development.

International Friendship Park is similarly hella cool, but is in the middle of nowhere, so few people know about what a gem it is. Even so, it has sparked a high end condo development on the near east side.

For those who have not seen it, it is just east of the Montgomery Inn Boathouse, and is definitely worth going at least once, if not many times.

Add to this the recent news of one river place, and the river seems like a future hot spot (as it should be).

I really can't get excited anymore about all these proposed downtown developments, parks, etc. It looks wonderful but I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Yeah, it says that in at least two places.

I have heard nothing about this... it's very beautiful! I wonder how soon construction will begin after the appropriate approvals are received (and how long it will take).
    Sorry, my tired eyes missed that part. I amend my opinion to "Heck Yeah! Another park and more green space is gonna rock"
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Sounds great........."when and if"
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Supreme Jar Opener

It also shows a few restaurants and cafes as part of the parks... I think it's a great idea.

It certainly would be better than what's there now.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

It'll be great- a big nice park with a gravel parking lot between it an FWW.
    Way to go Cincinnati!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I really can't get excited anymore about all these proposed downtown developments, parks, etc. It looks wonderful but I'll believe it when I see it.
    What he said.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?