Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: talent hidden under radar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

talent hidden under radar

after reading edabbs comments on Cappelan the pitcher buried in Milwaukee if wanted to start a thread on players the red's should acquire at a low cost . My nomination is the Lance Niekro from San Fran. I also want to state that I feel he is acquirable for some middle relief help ala Cormier etc. Truly believe he can be had on the cheap and adds a great transition player with power till Votto arrives or in the case Votto flops. He is to me a very talented and acquirable player.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Re: talent hidden under radar

I think the Reds should send Stanton back to the Giants. I think they would bite and actually send back something useful. They have shown no interest in having any young guys.

I would also love for the Reds to get Humberto Sanchez from the Yankees. I've beat that horse to death for a year now. He'll be good if he ever gets the chance and can stay healthy.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Not sure what it would take, but Eric Hinske seems superfluous in Boston (but he's a left handed hitter) and Manny Delcarmen was sent down.

We've discussed Marcus Thames but he would be a good target IMO.

Toronto DFAd Francicso Rosario who will be traded in the next week but he'd be hard to keep. He could take Santo's spot for now, but not sure when guys start coming back.

I still like Brian Bruney, but since the Yankees cut Ron Villone, they probably aren't interested in aging relievers like in previous years and are looking to keep the youth.

I think Villone on the market hurts when attempting to trade Cormier.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Toronto DFAd Francicso Rosario who will be traded in the next week but he'd be hard to keep. He could take Santo's spot for now, but not sure when guys start coming back.

Are you serious? Wasn't he a big prospect not but 2 or so years ago?

I'd make him the 5th man.

Topcat: I had wondered the same thing about Niekro.

Also, I am looking for the info on a kid I heard about with the Marlins...can't think of who it was.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Jason Lane is not a long-term answer, but would give a major league team 2 or 3 solid years if a team would just stick him out in right field and forget about him. In over 1000 major league at-bats his OPS stands at .799 coming into the season. I would say 25-30 homers and a 825ish OPS would be the result. He could be available since the 'Stros have Luke Scott at the major league level and Hunter Pence ready down in AAA.

If Grienke has any hiccups...WK should pounce. Should have pounced last year.

Fernando Cabrera is a live arm out of Cleveland. I like live arms more than arms 1 or 2 years from retirement.

Gavin Floyd reminds me a little of Brett Myers. Still only 24 and has a lot of time to figure it out. But he just got dealt to CWS, so another trade is highly unlikely.

I'll agree that Jason Lane certainly is easy to forget about when you stick him out in RF. There's few players whose games I like less.

Gavin Floyd was a kid with a curve and little else.
    Last edited by M2; 04-04-2007 at 10:25 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'll agree that Jason Lane certainly is easy to forget about when you stick him out in RF. There's few players whose games I like less.
    On the flip side though, he's a legit bat off the bench.
    It's debatable, but since we have Hamilton on the roster as a 2nd CF, I would prefer the 4th OF to be a decent bat.. Sorry, but I'm not enamored with the idea of having both Deno and Hamilton on the roster. Lane would also make getting guys like Conine unnecessary.

I think Lane would be great in the Michael Tucker role (4th OF that plays a lot). Note, I don't think he's as good as Tucker back then. IMO, Tucker was one of the more underrated players the Reds had. Not that Tucker was a superstar, but underrated.

Also, with Lane, you could possibly spot start Jr at 1b.. Or maybe not.. I don't know how Jr's legs would react to playing 1b.. Or maybe you talk Dunn into starting 20 games a year at 1b.. The point is Lane could add more valuable depth than Deno, considering our roster.. All in my opinion of course, I wouldn't sell the farm to get the guy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Jeremy Reed seems to have fallen out of favor in seattle also and i wonder what they would want to acquire him. I could see him becoming another Brady Clarkish kinda of guy.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Scott Olsen or Anibal Sanchez. Both ar eincredibly young and already performing on the major league level. Who knows what it wouuld take to get either but geesh instant upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Scott Olsen or Anibal Sanchez. Both ar eincredibly young and already performing on the major league level. Who knows what it wouuld take to get either but geesh instant upgrades
    Yeah, but those guys are both guys that would be ridiculously expensive to acquire.

I think they're looking for guys that you may be able to find on the cheap that will "break out" if given some playing time.

I still think KC's Emil Brown is a great bat to have. I can't believe they are platooning him with Ross Gload. And Brown gets the short end of the platoon! What?!?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Yeah, but those guys are both guys that would be ridiculously expensive to acquire.

I think they're looking for guys that you may be able to find on the cheap that will "break out" if given some playing time.
    ok how about the converted OF from a 2nd basemen Ryan Theriot? this guy could be had for a hamburger and he is speedy with range at 2nd. I haven't seen him in the OF as of yet but if he can develop he could be Deno incarnate that can back up at 2nd as well

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I like a guy like Marcus Thames. I don't know how under the radar he is, but he also shouldn't cost an and and a leg either.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I like a guy like Marcus Thames. I don't know how under the radar he is, but he also shouldn't cost an and and a leg either.
    I agree 100%. Thames was the name I instantly thought of regarding the topic. I also like the idea of Greinke mentioned earlier, and maybe someone like Davies (who may be had for pretty cheap and worth taking a chance on) from Atlanta.

Turn Off Ads?