Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cards: Carpenter will miss start with sore elbow

Cards: Carpenter will miss start with sore elbow

They're saying he'll only miss one start as a 'precautionary' measure. We'll see, but these things always seem to lead to surgery. It'd be a big blow to the Cardinals.

Cards ace Carpenter injures elbow

AFP
    April 4, 2007
    ST. LOUIS, United States (AFP) - The world champion St. Louis Cardinals' already shaky rotation absorbed another hit when the club announced Chris Carpenter will miss his next start with right elbow inflammation.

Carpenter was set to start Friday against Houston but will skip the game as a precautionary measure. He will be examined further over the next few days.

The Cardinals lost starters Jeff Suppan, Jeff Weaver and Jason Marquis as free agents in the offseason and replaced them in the rotation with relievers Adam Wainwright and Braden Looper and free agent Kip Wells, who was injured most of last season. Anthony Reyes is the other member of the rotation.

In Sunday's game against the New York Mets, Carpenter allowed five runs in six innings of a 6-1 loss.

The 2005 Cy Young Award winner, Carpenter was 15-8 with a 3.09 ERA in 32 starts last season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards: Carpenter will miss start with sore elbow

Uh oh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I almost feel sorry for them, oh wait our savior has almost missed as many games over the past 7 years as he's played. Excuse me if I don't shed a tear for Tony

I would never wish bad luck or harm to a player....but I would like a chances even more if this would happen to Roy Oswalt....He's such a REDS KILLER!

Inflammation in the elbow after an Opening Day start doesn't bode well for a 162 game season. Things have fallen nicely into place for St Louis the past few years but I think things are catching up with them this year. It happens to all teams unless you're the Red Sox or Yankees. The challenge for Jocketty and Co is to keep these down years to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Inflammation in the elbow after an Opening Day start doesn't bode well for a 162 game season. Things have fallen nicely into place for St Louis the past few years but I think things are catching up with them this year. It happens to all teams unless you're the Red Sox or Yankees. The challenge for Jocketty and Co is to keep these down years to a minimum.
    Amen, I hope you are right. Kip Wells as your #1 starter. HA!

Carpenter had that same elbow rebuilt several years ago. That doesn't sound good, but players sometime have stuff like this early in the season. If he goes Paul Wilson, version 2005, the Cardinals have a very severe problem. That second Tommy John surgery isn't a very good thing.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Carpenter had that same elbow rebuilt several years ago. That doesn't sound good, but players sometime have stuff like this early in the season. If he goes Paul Wilson, version 2005, the Cardinals have a very severe problem. That second Tommy John surgery isn't a very good thing.
    I'm not at all disputing this based on personal knowledge, as I thought the exact same thing, but according to Rick Tellendar [sp?] of the Post Dispatch during an interview today on XM, he's had shoulder troubles, but never any elbow problems.

Also Rick says he's going to miss at least two starts and will probably be DL'ed retro active to Monday.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'm not at all disputing this based on personal knowledge, as I thought the exact same thing, but according to Rick Tellendar [sp?] of the Post Dispatch during an interview today on XM, he's had shoulder troubles, but never any elbow problems.

Also Rick says he's going to miss at least two starts and will probably be DL'ed retro active to Monday.
    Whether it is a shoulder problem or elbow problem its not a good sign for Carpenter and the cards. You never want your ace pitcher to have arm problems in his first start of the year.

"My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Let's see:

- LaRussa DUI, check
    - Carpenter to the DL, check
    - Edmonds & Rolen aging nicely (like gorgonzola), check
    - Encarnacion on the DL, check
    - Mulder recuperating, check
    - Nifty 0-2 start vs. Mets, check

Chances of repeat decreasing ever so slightly ever day, check and mate!

::a single tear rolls down my cheek:: Poor Tony, remind me to send him a nice fruit basket.

I am going to say this sucks even as a Reds fan.

I miss the games where we pushed the Cardinals and they pushed us. I don't care that means when we might lose or win, it's the exciment, it's what makes it fun.

Oh well eh.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    I am going to say this sucks even as a Reds fan.

I miss the games where we pushed the Cardinals and they pushed us. I don't care that means when we might lose or win, it's the exciment, it's what makes it fun.

Oh well eh.
    I'm guessing the Cards will do just fine against us with or without Carpenter. No need to feel sorry for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I'm guessing the Cards will do just fine against us with or without Carpenter. No need to feel sorry for them.
    I don't think they will but I just like the race being a race. I want the race to be like last year, just with us on the smiling side
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?