Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Griffey to honor Jackie Robinson

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Griffey to honor Jackie Robinson

GRIFFEY, JR., OTHERS TO WEAR NUMBER 42 AS PART OF
    JACKIE ROBINSON DAY TRIBUTE

Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ken Griffey, Jr. called Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig and received permission to wear uniform Number 42 on Sunday, April 15th to honor Jackie Robinson on the 60th anniversary of his Major League debut, it was announced today.

Commissioner Selig has expanded the gesture and extended an invitation to all Clubs to allow any of its members to wear Number 42 on Jackie Robinson Day, April 15th, as a tribute to Jackie and the history he made on that day 60years ago.

“This is a wonderful gesture on Ken’s part and a fitting tribute to the great Jackie Robinson and one, I believe, that all Clubs will eagerly endorse,” Commissioner Selig said. “To make this happen, I gladly will temporarily suspend the official retirement of uniform Number 42 on that day.

“Jackie continues to be an inspiration to all of our players, and his impact will be felt for as long as our game is played. I thank Ken for finding another special way to mark Jackie Robinson Day.”

On April 15, 1997, the 50th anniversary of Robinson’s entry into Major League Baseball, Commissioner Selig announced that Robinson’s Number 42 would be retired throughout baseball and would never again be issued to on-field personnel.

"If it weren't for Jackie Robinson, I wouldn't be able to put on the uniform I'm wearing today,” Griffey said. “He should be an inspiration not only to baseball players but to anyone who fights prejudice and hatred."

Each of the 15 games throughout Major League Baseball on April 15th will feature festivities to honor Jackie Robinson. The national celebration of Jackie Robinson Day will take place at Dodger Stadium on April 15th with a VIP-filled reception and on-field ceremony prior to the game between the San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Dodgers. The ceremony and game will be broadcast live on ESPN, ESPN HD, ESPN Radio and ESPN Deportes at 8:00 p.m. (ET) and will also be carried on XM Satellite Radio. Among those participating in the festivities will be Rachel Robinson, Jackie’s wife and founder of The Jackie Robinson Foundation; their daughter, author Sharon Robinson; several of Jackie’s former teammates; baseball executives and civic and industry leaders; Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholars; and winners of the Breaking Barriers Essay Contest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey to honor Jackie Robinson

This is why history will be infinitely kinder to Griffey than McGuire, Sosa and Barroids Bonds, totally classy.

Now if only a reporter could get him to say something on the record about how he feels about playing RF we could finally know for sure what kind of man and player he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    "If it weren't for Jackie Robinson, I wouldn't be able to put on the uniform I'm wearing today,” Griffey said. “He should be an inspiration not only to baseball players but to anyone who fights prejudice and hatred."
    Griffey says this but I have to admit. I use him as a beacon of that fight today. The hatred he gets from almost everyone, including myself when I get frustrated is amazing. I don't hate him, but things becoming fishy and just because he is Griffey Jr. doesn't mean I am going to bite my tongue on how it looks.

He takes heat, but like a professional and a man. He shows up game after game. Put's a body that can no longer hold up to the full season stress of Centerfield on the line and gives his all.

So this ones to you Griff , because when you took right field on opening day for us. I applauded louder than anyone, even if I was at home.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

He wore #42 for a game as a Mariner awhile back, too.

Classy move by Junior. For that matter, a classy response by Selig.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    He wore #42 for a game as a Mariner awhile back, too.
    Dyslexia for Cure Found.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Senor Votto

What a great gesture. Very classy Jr.

Very cool. I'll be at that game so it just gives me another reason to be excited about my first trip to Wrigley.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I hear the every Dodger player will be #42 that day. I think MLB has gotten it right in letting that happen. Every April 15th, a player from each team should wear that number. Another great tradition
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?