Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, What Happened to these guys?

Re: OK, What Happened to these guys?

Sorry, everybody. I ran into this thread because I wanted to type a small update on Kevin Gunter, but there is no Kevin Gunter thread, so I just gave mini-updates on all the guys that were asked about.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Kevin Gunter - released by the Reds; signed by the Marlins and is doing poorly in A-ball
    Looking at his stats on MiLB.com, Gunter's stats don't seem to be too terrible. Its possible he's adjusting to the different styles of pitching coaches (i.e. shortening his stride, different arm slot, etc). Even if this were the case, his ERA isn't THAT high.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by highheat11 View Post
    Looking at his stats on MiLB.com, Gunter's stats don't seem to be too terrible. Its possible he's adjusting to the different styles of pitching coaches (i.e. shortening his stride, different arm slot, etc). Even if this were the case, his ERA isn't THAT high.
    He's turning 25 pretty soon, and he has a 1.57 WHIP in the South Atlantica League (A-ball). For a reliever, ERA can be particularly deceiving. He hasn't been absolutely pathetic, but overall, I'd say he has done fairly poorly, all things considered.

I can agree with that. If you're not having great numbers in A-ball approaching your 25th birthday, and you're not just having issues such as control/minor injuries, it may be time to start looking for another career. Not saying he'll never succeed at any level (Independent leagues, journeyman minor league player), but more times than not that's what seems to happen.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

Turn Off Ads?