Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Strikes deal to keep Extra Innings on Cable!

Baseball Strikes deal to keep Extra Innings on Cable!

Baseball strikes deal to keep `Extra Inning's package on cable

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
    April 4, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Baseball struck a deal to keep its "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games on cable television, an agreement that likely will allow the sport's new TV network to be available in at least 40 million homes when it launches in 2009.

Baseball announced an exclusive $700 million, seven-year agreement with DirecTV on March 8, but during a hearing last week in Washington, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., pressed baseball to resume talks with iN Demand, which is owned by affiliates of Time Warner, Comcast and Cox. While baseball had set a March 31 deadline, the sides kept negotiating and announced an agreement Wednesday night.

"Our chief goal throughout the process was to ensure that fans would have access to as many baseball games and as much baseball coverage as possible," baseball chief operating officer Bob DuPuy said. "With this agreement, the MLB Channel will launch with an unprecedented platform."

As part of the agreement, iN Demand will make the "Extra Innings" package available to other cable companies, which also would be required to carry the MLB channel.

Baseball will continue to negotiate with Echostar's Dish Network, baseball spokesman Rich Levin said.

The dispute was largely over baseball's desire to have its network on a basic cable tier.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball Strikes deal to keep Extra Innings on Cable!

DuPuy is full of it.

I think the MLB got what they wanted. They wanted cable to commit to carrying their channel and now they are. I think the cable companies caved not the MLB.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

At this point I'm not really concerned about who caved and who did not. Who is right and who is wrong. All I care about is watching baseball. I didn't want to switch to Direct TV because my wife's company pays our cable bill. I know not many people are in that situation, but I am, and I greatly miss the EI package. I have had it for 4 years in a row and I can't imagine life without it. The last 3 days for me have been frustrating and boring. I haven't been able to watch games that I am very much interested in. I'm not just a Reds fan, I'm a baseball fan, and I love watching games involving any teams.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    At this point I'm not really concerned about who caved and who did not. Who is right and who is wrong. All I care about is watching baseball. I didn't want to switch to Direct TV because my wife's company pays our cable bill. I know not many people are in that situation, but I am, and I greatly miss the EI package. I have had it for 4 years in a row and I can't imagine life without it. The last 3 days for me have been frustrating and boring. I haven't been able to watch games that I am very much interested in. I'm not just a Reds fan, I'm a baseball fan, and I love watching games involving any teams.
    Oh I agree. And I don't care one way or the other either, I've never had EI and probably won't unless I move out of the Reds market.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

If you are like me and signed up for MLB.TV because you missed Extra Innings you are supposed to be able to cancel MLB.TV within 5 days and not be charged.

It will be interesting to see how quickly they can get this up and running. This is usually the free preview week so usually the games are on all week for free and usually you get a discount for subscribing this week. So far I see nothing on Time Warner I have read where Comcast is already showing games.

For those in Northern Kentucky that have Insight Cable...Please start complaining to them about them not carrying the EI package.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    It will be interesting to see how quickly they can get this up and running. This is usually the free preview week so usually the games are on all week for free and usually you get a discount for subscribing this week. So far I see nothing on Time Warner I have read where Comcast is already showing games.
    Supposedly they can get this up in hours. It's already up and running on Comcast Cable in Michigan. I have not heard of any Time Warner customers getting it yet. Nor I have I heard a price. I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase after all of this. Cable did say a few days ago that once the agreement was signed that they could get it on TV "within an hour". So keep checking

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Supposedly they can get this up in hours. It's already up and running on Comcast Cable in Michigan. I have not heard of any Time Warner customers getting it yet. Nor I have I heard a price. I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase after all of this. Cable did say a few days ago that once the agreement was signed that they could get it on TV "within an hour". So keep checking
    According to the ESPN article the package is supposed to be $159 if you order in the free preview period. They are supposed to start running a free preview through at least part of next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    According to the ESPN article the package is supposed to be $159 if you order in the free preview period. They are supposed to start running a free preview through at least part of next week.
    That's cool. That's what it was last year

I usually order early, like beginning of March when they first offer it early, and get EI for the discounted $129 rate. I'm guessing that rate won't be available this year since they are so late in providing it. I'm fine with paying the $159 for it. I'm going to call Time Warner now (I think customer service is 24hr) and see when they plan on offering it and at what price.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I didn't know you could ever order it for $129???

For dumping on the customers (doesn't matter to me if you lay the blame on MLB or the cable companies) they ought to offer it at $129.00 as a peace offering.

Rem

When it looked as though DT would have this exclusively, I wasn't happy, but I was thinking about passing on it this year. i didn't watch it that much the last 2 years, but I had it on in the background alot. However, I have realized I really want this product- I am obligated to Echostar until August. Charlie better get this done!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?