Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Coffey is a Joke!

Re: Todd Coffey is a Joke!

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    so what, you can't just cancel out his bad outings and show the good ones, just because you admit it. i admit he had a low era in april and may,but when he got put in PRESSURE situations he folded like a law chair.

So here's where we are. We're not going to let silly things like facts get in the way of our judgement here and we're mostly spinning our wheels over what was a seeing eye single on April 4. Bold statements like so and so is a joke are going to be met with a ton of backlash (or so I've found in my short time here) and sometimes it's best to just sit back and keep the fact that you're right and everyone else is dillusional to yourself.

good night, now.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    So here's where we are. We're not going to let silly things like facts get in the way of our judgement here and we're mostly spinning our wheels over what was a seeing eye single on April 4. Bold statements like so and so is a joke are going to be met with a ton of backlash (or so I've found in my short time here) and sometimes it's best to just sit back and keep the fact that you're right and everyone else is dillusional to yourself.

good night, now.
    Facts???. Hogwash. The truth comes from the gut, not books.

EDIT - I obviously don't know how to insert pictures properly!!!

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

so what, you can't just cancel out his bad outings and show the good ones, just because you admit it. i admit he had a low era in april and may,but when he got put in PRESSURE situations he folded like a law chair.
    Although I'm unclear what a law chair is, I do know that he has the tools to be a very effective oitcher. It could happen to anyone. If it was Randy Myers who gives it up, we'd say, "Well, that is unfortunate. But we can't expect him to get them all."
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Although I'm unclear what a law chair is, I do know that he has the tools to be a very effective oitcher. It could happen to anyone. If it was Randy Myers who gives it up, we'd say, "Well, that is unfortunate. But we can't expect him to get them all."
    A law chair is a whole lot like a oitcher, isn't it???

I think this blunder can rest solely on the fact that Arroyo came back in when his time was over. That last curve ball he threw before Narron pulled him was so flat. Coffey induced the groundball and unfortunately it didn't go as well as planned. The Reds couldn't score tonight so it really wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    The Reds couldn't score tonight so it really wouldn't have mattered anyway.
    best thing said in this thread all night.

how about looking at coffey's ERA after may last year.

June 5.84
    July 5.59
    August 5.79
    september 2.45
    october 9.00

so basically he had 3 good months out of the season, and the rest of the year he sucked.

Kind of surprising that October is even included. Didn't they play only one game?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Coffey pitched 1 inning and allowed 1 run in October.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Coffey pitched 1 inning and allowed 1 run in October.
    That's horrible...kick him to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Kind of surprising that October is even included. Didn't they play only one game?
    Thats for pointing out that statistical manipulation!

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    A law chair is a whole lot like a oitcher, isn't it???
    damn! I gots me sum egg all ovah mah face
    Witty signature.

Was it Eat Your Own Wednesday at the GAB? Being out of town I don't follow the ballpark promotions.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I know that this is an unpopular stance around this board, but i'd just like to note that todd coffey once again gave up a big hit in this game, that basically put them out of it with the weather conditions. It just seems to me that every time coffey gets put in a clutch situation he folds under pressure. I am just so tired of this bullpen not ever being able to hold anything down, it gets ridiculous after awhile. on a lighter note, victor santos looked stellar thus far!

Glad you have only few posts. Now please look at the big picture before stating stupidity in the future. Coffey will do far more good than 1 game defining garbage dribble posts that you decide to state opinions on.
    Last edited by Topcat; 04-05-2007 at 02:12 AM.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Sometimes you have to look beyond the simple result of the play to see if someone screwed up. Just because a guy got a base hit doesn't necessarily mean the pitcher threw a bad pitch.

Coffey came in and got the third best outcome we could have hoped for - a common groundball. If we couldn't get a strikeout or a popup then a groundball is the next best thing. This groundball just happened to find a gap between the fielders. It wasn't a particularly hard hit ball at all.

Remember the diving catch that Freel made in the gap on Monday? Does the fact that particular pitch ended in an out mean it was a well-thrown pitch? Does the fact that DeRosa's grounder made it through the infield mean that Coffey made a mistake on the pitch?

Sometimes a hitter is able to crush a perfectly thrown pitch. Sometimes a hitter completely misses a hanging curveball over the middle of the plate. That is baseball. I don't think it is fair to say a pitcher sucks because he allows one hit.

Coffey's record last year showed that he is a better than average pitcher. I think he has very good stuff and I think he will be successful more often than not in the future. I wish we had several Todd Coffeys on the Reds.

While I completely disagree with him, I don't understand why mroby85 is getting run down so much. Maybe I missed it but he wasn't overly critical of Coffey in calling him names or anything, mroby85 just doesn't think he's a good pitcher. I think he's wrong. In fact I think it's a pretty dumb post, I think Coffey gave up a half-way hard grounder that got through, unlucky. I just haven't read anything blatantly offensive that he wrote to deserve all this, and I don't mean just the responses to him.

Again maybe I'm missing it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?