Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Coffey is a Joke!

Re: Todd Coffey is a Joke!

EDIT: Thanks for that post, 6-4-3. I didn't see that it had been posted until I made this post and the page reloaded.
    Thanks

Victor Santos:
    .2 IP
    0 H
    0 ER
    I was impressed with Santos tonight, however I would consider Coffey's situation a tougher challenge than Santos. Based on the 2-1 score w/ bases full compared to 4-1 score runners on 1st and 2nd. Still solid job by Santos.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    oh, well pardon me, i guess i considered this intellegent conversation. Personally, I considered that a crucial time in the game.
    Well gee wizz dude, maybe if you would stop being so sarcastic then somebody would take you seriously.

Golley, maybe if you brought some facts into this thread instead of this guys a joke and really just talking out of your (butt), then it would be an intellegent conversation.

You have to come with some substance, or guys like Cyclone and others will eat you up and swallow you whole.

i don't even know what to say, i mean stats aren't everything. santos obviously pitched better than todd coffey tonight, and against tougher hitters. i wouldn't be feeling this way if coffey didn't blow up so much last year in crucial situations. you can pull out whatever stats that you want to from last season, buf if you watched the games, you know that todd coffey didn't pitch well in crucial situations. i'm not trying to come off with "the sky is falling" attitude, i think they have the potential to do some decent things this year, but i get tired of the same guys blowing up all the time. some stats are ridiculous, such as tonight when coffey ends up with 0 ER. and Bronson's ERA is over 5 now, you can't tell me that is a true gage on the way tonights game went. it's danny graves revisited, and people will probably catch on after he sucks for a long time, just like they did with danny graves.

I know that this is an unpopular stance around this board, but i'd just like to note that todd coffey once again gave up a big hit in this game, that basically put them out of it with the weather conditions. It just seems to me that every time coffey gets put in a clutch situation he folds under pressure. I am just so tired of this bullpen not ever being able to hold anything down, it gets ridiculous after awhile. on a lighter note, victor santos looked stellar thus far!
    Yea I know what you mean. How did this bum make the team? Where is Rick White when you need him....ok really the guy comes in with the bases juiced. he gets a ground ball that’s exactly what you want. just bad luck that it found a hole and didn’t get turned for a DP.

some stats are ridiculous, such as tonight when coffey ends up with 0 ER. and Bronson's ERA is over 5 now, you can't tell me that is a true gage on the way tonights game went. it's danny graves revisited, and people will probably catch on after he sucks for a long time, just like they did with danny graves.
    Put on your helmet dude, the stats are coming.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

it's danny graves revisited, and people will probably catch on after he sucks for a long time, just like they did with danny graves.
    Just so you know, his brother is an active poster here. Dressing your drivel with some tact might make folks take you a little more seriously around here.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

i don't even know what to say, i mean stats aren't everything. santos obviously pitched better than todd coffey tonight, and against tougher hitters. i wouldn't be feeling this way if coffey didn't blow up so much last year in crucial situations. you can pull out whatever stats that you want to from last season, buf if you watched the games, you know that todd coffey didn't pitch well in crucial situations. i'm not trying to come off with "the sky is falling" attitude, i think they have the potential to do some decent things this year, but i get tired of the same guys blowing up all the time. some stats are ridiculous, such as tonight when coffey ends up with 0 ER. and Bronson's ERA is over 5 now, you can't tell me that is a true gage on the way tonights game went. it's danny graves revisited, and people will probably catch on after he sucks for a long time, just like they did with danny graves.
    Well, Todd Coffey allowed 1 hit and he got 2 outs. Bronson left 2 runners on base and didn't get anyone out that inning before he was removed. If Arroyo was left in, he might have given up 5 more runs. So yeah, that is pretty much how the game went.

What do you mean in clutch situations? As a closer? He struggled as the closer, there's no doubt about it. Some guys just don't have the mental make-up to be closers. I don't know if that's the case for Coffey.

Yes, in the entire 2/3rds of an inning they both worked tonight Santos pitched better.

How about we take a look at large sample size shall we?

Todd Coffey:
    136.2 IP
    170 H
    38 BB
    86 K
    3.95 ERA

He had a 3.58 ERA in 06.

Victor Santos;
    539.2 IP
    604 H
    246 BB
    5.14 ERA
    22-42 career record

5.70 ERA in 06.

But wait, I'm sure Todd has and extremely misleading 137 IP, and Victor has just been so unlucky in his 540 innings right?

Todd Coffey has much better pure stuff then Graves and his gravity ball.

Let me ask you this, who do you want out on the mound in a key spot? I'll take Coffey 13 times out of 10.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-04-2007 at 11:15 PM.

And just like we all know that Bronson's ERA isn't representative of how he pitched tonight, we also know that a seeing eye grounder doesn't mean Coffey sucks.

Looks like we're gonna have to increase the prozac ration around here.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, Todd Coffey allowed 1 hit and he got 2 outs. Bronson left 2 runners on base and didn't get anyone out that inning before he was removed. If Arroyo was left in, he might have given up 5 more runs. So yeah, that is pretty much how the game went.
    I give up, coffey gave up the big hit before he got the 2 outs. arroyo pitched stellar, i doubt that he would've even given up the 2, but this is just hypothetic mumbo jumbo that can't be backed up.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I give up, coffey gave up the big hit before he got the 2 outs. arroyo pitched stellar, i doubt that he would've even given up the 2, but this is just hypothetic mumbo jumbo that can't be backed up.
    If DeRosa had hammered the ball, I could possibly see where you're coming from. He didn't though. He hit a grounder that found a hole. The next batter rolled into a double play. Some posters around here might say that Coffey was BABIP unlucky tonight. It happens and we should move on. There's a long way to go in this season.

first of all, i didn't say santo's was the next closer, so i don't know where that came from, all i said was he looked good in this game.

also the stats you gave were of santos as a starter, he only pitched one season as a reliever and had a nice season.

and if you don't have the mental makeup to be a closer, why do you have the mental makeup to come in with the bases loaded and 1 out? thats all i've been trying to say all along, is that he's a choker, or if you want it in nicer terms "he doesn't have the mental makeup"

also the stats you gave were of santos as a starter, he only pitched one season as a reliever and had a nice season.
    0h Rly???

His 4.94 career ERA out of the pen says otherwise.

Todd Coffey probably gave up all his runs, lol j/k.

"he doesn't have the mental makeup"

Very early in the season to get this kind of irony.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?