Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Todd Coffey is a Joke!

Re: Todd Coffey is a Joke!

Wonder if the Pirates think he's funny.

:
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Wonder if the Pirates think he's funny.

:

He's funny how, I mean funny like he's a clown, He amuses you? He makes you laugh, he's here to freakin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How is he funny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Todd looked very calm and in command. He was used in the 7th where he is best suited FOR NOW. I thought he looked good and CONFIDENT. It's not easy standing on the bump. Hope he can build off of that.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Todd looked very calm and in command. He was used in the 7th where he is best suited FOR NOW. I thought he looked good and CONFIDENT. It's not easy standing on the bump. Hope he can build off of that.
    Sure its easy standing there.... its that throwing pitches and getting guys out that is tough. :

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure its easy standing there.... its that throwing pitches and getting guys out that is tough. :
    You got me there!! Even Rick Reuschel looked "good" on the bump.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I hope he does do well, im a diehard reds fan through and through, but in reality i don't think he's a very good pitcher. however, based on the replies around here, all i would have to say if he does get out of the jam is that they hit the ball hard and he got lucky, because you're considering the hit off of him last night luck.

How would you know if he's a good pitcher or not, he's young and developing. If you had been in control Schilling would have been cut because his first year or so he sucked, and Aaron Harang wasn't that great either. Neither was Bronson Arroyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel View Post
    How would you know if he's a good pitcher or not, he's young and developing. If you had been in control Schilling would have been cut because his first year or so he sucked, and Aaron Harang wasn't that great either. Neither was Bronson Arroyo.
    I'm wondering what you think Coffey will morph into....

He's a good bullpen arm (above average so he help the pen) but not a great one (not the ideal guy for high leverage situations). It's not most likely that he's going to develop into a great one. They guy will most likely have a nice career and contribute...lets not compare him to Schilling or really any quality starter.

I know the title to this thread was really over the top but did this:

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I know that this is an unpopular stance around this board, but i'd just like to note that todd coffey once again gave up a big hit in this game, that basically put them out of it with the weather conditions. It just seems to me that every time coffey gets put in a clutch situation he folds under pressure. I am just so tired of this bullpen not ever being able to hold anything down, it gets ridiculous after awhile. on a lighter note, victor santos looked stellar thus far!

really deserve 50+ and counting neg points?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Let's assume for a moment that Todd Coffey really is a joke. Does it help anything to come on here and whine like a sissy about it?

It would be better to make a post describing the problem and then give one or more suggestions about how the situation could be improved or how it could have been handled better.

Let's give mroby85 a chance to describe what he would do if he were in charge.

Would you release Todd Coffey and bring up a minor leaguer to pitch in those situations? Would you trade him to the Nationals for Felipe Lopez? Would you have left Arroyo in to keep pitching after he allowed the two hits to start the inning after already throwing over 100 pitches? Would you have left the infield back so that grounder wouldn't have leaked through? Would you have advised Coffey to throw a different pitch in that situation? Would you have sent to the bullpen for Burton or Weathers instead of Coffey?

Insightful comments and cogent observations are much more interesting to read and debate than sour-grapes complaining is.

I am not normally a fan of Narron's handling of the pitching staff, but in this case I thought he made the correct decision to bring in Coffey in that situation (although I would not have had Arroyo start the inning in the first place). Coffey failed to get us out of the inning unscathed, but I thought the pitch was a tough pitch to hit. DeRosa was able to get the bat on it and was fortunate enough to see it find a hole. It was a good pitch from Coffey, but DeRosa was good enough to eke out a basehit.

Sometimes good pitches get hit. I remember last year Joel Zumaya threw a blazing fastball to Griffey low in the zone at 102MPH -- a fantastic pitch. But Griffey hit it over the outfield wall anyway.
    I know that you're only saying this sarcastically and will say im wrong, but if i were in charge, Coffey could stay in the bullpen, but it would be as a mop up guy, and he certainly wouldn't be coming in with the game on the line, or to keep a game within a run. I personally wouldn't have sent arroyo out for the 8th, considering it is so early in the season, but since he was already out there, i wouldve let him try to finish it up, because all he did was give up singles to derek lee, and aramis ramires, the heart of the cubs order.

also i don't believe i'm on here "whining like a sissy" im just stating opinion on this matter which is what i thought message boards were for, im pretty sure what i posted was about reds baseball, and this is redszone.

:coffey:

I tell you, it going to take Todd days to scrape the Cubs' lineup from out of his cleats after stomping all over it today.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Coffey was a joke today..

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Sure was. He laughed all the way to the win column.

Maybe the cubs are the better joke
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    "Knock Knock"
    (who's there?)
    "Dominating relief effort."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

What's red, rhymes with toffee, and beat the Cubs' ass today unmercifully?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?