Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Coffey is a Joke!

Re: Todd Coffey is a Joke!

it didn't start this season for me, but im gonna drop it now, i knew it wasn't going to be a popular post, but i needed to get it off my back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I give up, coffey gave up the big hit before he got the 2 outs. arroyo pitched stellar, i doubt that he would've even given up the 2, but this is just hypothetic mumbo jumbo that can't be backed up.
    You're correct about it being hypothetical. But let's take a step back and view the situation...Arroyo is entering his 8th inning of work and is 100+ pitches, it is 20 degrees cold, he has pitched well throughout, and has now allowed the 1st 2 runners in the 8th to reach base. This is an indicator that he may be near the end of his outing.

Stanton comes on and does his job, then Coffey is brought into the game. He is the best option the Reds currently have for a situation like this in the bullpen. That perhaps is not the best situation, but it is the current situation for this ballclub. If you honestly believed Bronson could've got out of the inning w/o allowing a run, then leave him in. But for my $ the correct moves were made (I wouldn't allowed Arroyo to start the 8th), giving the Reds the best chance to stay in a 2-1 game.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    you can pull out whatever stats that you want to from last season, buf if you watched the games, you know that todd coffey didn't pitch well in crucial situations.
    You mean other than the stats like his better than 2-1 K/BB ratio and 3.46 ERA? Or maybe that less than 25% of his inherited runners scored over the course of 81 appearences.

I guess those stats don't matter.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

the one thing, i think you're looking past is who arroyo gave those hits up to, its not a crime to give up back to back singles to derek lee, and aramis ramirez, in my opinion, but once again, we'll never know what wouldve happened.

the one thing, i think you're looking past is who arroyo gave those hits up to, its not a crime to give up back to back singles to derek lee, and aramis ramirez, in my opinion, but once again, we'll never know what wouldve happened.
    Even more reason Arroyo should have never been out there for the 8th.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Nobody is ripping on Arroyo. People are saying Narron shouldn't have let him go out there for the 8th.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Well, I guess Todd Coffey really is a joke just because you said so.

Then again, I decided to look at some facts myself. What I found is that last season Coffey led the Reds in games (81), relief innings (78.0), put up a near 7 K/9 ratio for the season - including a K/9 ratio of 8.16 after the All-Star Break - and oh by the way ... he also threw up a 134 ERA+.

As if that wasn't enough, of Coffey's 340 total batter's faced in 2006, 230 of them were in "Late and Close" situations, which is defined as plate appearances in the 7th inning or later when the batting team is tied, ahead by one run, or has the tying run at least in the on-deck circle. And in those 230 "Late and Close" plate appearances, Coffey's opponent's OPS was a mere .713, which is also roughly 50 points lower than the average NL hitter.

Todd Coffey is a quality relief pitcher, and this bullpen needs more Todd Coffeys.
    And that, my friend, is how you make a point. If I was able to give rep I would. Great post.

how about looking at coffey's ERA after may last year.

June 5.84
    July 5.59
    August 5.79
    september 2.45
    october 9.00

so basically he had 3 good months out of the season, and the rest of the year he sucked.

Coffey had 3 good months and 3 not so good months.

mid to high 5's out of the bullpen isn't "not so good" it's terrible, that means more times than not you're going to give up a run when having 1 inning of work.

how about looking at coffey's ERA after may last year.

June 5.84
    July 5.59
    August 5.79
    september 2.45
    october 9.00

so basically he had 3 good months out of the season, and the rest of the year he sucked.
    That's one way to look at it, so is this...

Mar/Apr 0.60
    May 1.80
    Jun 5.84
    Jul 5.59
    Aug 5.79
    Sep/Oct 3.00

Notice I've included the "good" months to show how shut down he was early in the year. Those months in the middle represent the failed closer experiment and the left over effects thereof. We'll all admit he didn't work out last year as the closer, but his stuff is nasty at times and he has been one of the better members of this bullpen.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Boo on this thread.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

so what, you can't just cancel out his bad outings and show the good ones, just because you admit it. i admit he had a low era in april and may,but when he got put in PRESSURE situations he folded like a law chair.

Quote Originally Posted by 6-4-3 View Post
    Thanks

I was impressed with Santos tonight, however I would consider Coffey's situation a tougher challenge than Santos. Based on the 2-1 score w/ bases full compared to 4-1 score runners on 1st and 2nd. Still solid job by Santos.
    Yea...many thanks to Coffey for clearing the bases for him!

I give up, coffey gave up the big hit before he got the 2 outs. arroyo pitched stellar, i doubt that he would've even given up the 2, but this is just hypothetic mumbo jumbo that can't be backed up.
    Just poor posting. I am sorry. I don't know if I have ever seen such claims with nothing to back them. Do you really think Arroyo was going to get out of that inning scot-free with no outs on runners on 1st and 2nd?? A sac bunt + a hit scores 2 runs. And thats what happened. And yes, the majority of the blame does and should go to the guy that put the men on.

Turn Off Ads?