Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is K-Rod Cheating?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Is K-Rod Cheating?

Derek Zumsteg, Author of the Book Cheaters Guide to Baseball, thinks he caught Angels Closer Francisco Rodriguez doctoring the ball on Opening Day, then today.

View the evidence for yourself

http://www.zumsteg.net/cheatersguide...ring-the-ball/

Francisco Rodriguez doctoring the ball

4-2-2007, against the Rangers, K-Rod put something on the ball repeatedly during the 9th inning, and wasn’t even subtle about it. First, I’m going to admit these are bad pictures. Patches welcome, as they say in the open source world. Or suggestions on how to get better stills — but any set of stills isn’t going to be as good as watching it yourself: if you’ve got mlb.tv, it’s worth checking out.
    Pitches:
    to Wilkerson
    1: wipes brim of cap during long walk around mound, ball
    2: video cuts back to him too late to see. 94, ball
    3: grabs, rubs brim of cap, (2:48:28 on the mlb.tv feed)brings hand down, touches back of hand to back of jersey, rubs hand on jersey leg. 95.

4: nothing, 94, strike
    5: grabs, rubs brim of cap (~2:49:15, same deal, running thumb inside) quick jersey touch. 95, strike.

6: video cuts back to him too late to see, fouled
    7: good thumb work while walking back to the mound, 94, fly to center

to Laird
    8: walking back to the mound at ~2:50:20, he crabs the brim and works the thumb for a couple seconds. Ridiculously blatant. Ball.

9: no camera, 94, strike
    10: late camera, ground to 2b. Touches cap brim, thumb thing.
    to Kinsler
    11: no camera, 95, ball
    12: no camera, 94, strike
    13: crowd shots, 94, foul
    14: ~2:52:47, off the rubber, he does the cap brim thing again, touching jersey before and after. Ball goes into the dirt, Napoli swings, ball’s picked off the ground and he’s tagged out
    Compare the movement on those pitches to the movement on the fastballs where he clearly doesn’t go to the hat brim.
    Also, watching the video, it’s a lot more striking than stills convey — it’s clearly not a cap adjustment, but something else entirely. He grabs the front of the cap and then rubs his thumb on the underside of the cap, picking whatever it us up. On the video, it’s quite striking.
    Update: check out this still, where he’s tilting his head, courtesy of Sal Baxamusa

Update: from today’s game, you can repeatedly see that there’s a glop of something white on the underside of his brim on the right side. Here are two shots. First, the straight still:

And then, adjusting the levels to make that a little brighter

In the 4-3-07 game, there isn’t the kind of totally blatant grab-the-brim-then-rub-thumb repeatedly, but it’s even more clear that there’s something on his hat brim and he’s putting his thumb right on it.
    Selected timings of shots of K-Rod’s brim, for your own reference:
    2:45:49
    2:46:07 (good)
    2:46:18 (good)
    2:47 (good)
    2:52:30 - decent shot of the brim
    2:54:50 - decent shot of the brim
    2:56:48 - decent shot of the brim
    2:57:50 - nice shot of the brim followed by K-Rod putting his thumb right in it

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is K-Rod Cheating?

Interesting Jmcclain19. Looks like Zumsteg is on to something.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The guy has the same routine every game. If he was such an obvious cheater it would have been noticed before his 5th year in the league.

He does that routine EVERY game.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The guy has the same routine every game. If he was such an obvious cheater it would have been noticed before his 5th year in the league.

Gaylord Perry had some routines for 20 years.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I didn't know that ''little something''under his hat could make you throw in the high nineties.If thats the case then the Reds could take a page from K Rods playbook.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Since this is his routine, and he usually uses the rosin bag as well, IIRC, would he not eventually(say after a full spring training) begin to rub a white mark into his hat?

Not trying to vindicate him though, because I'm just going on a limb here, but I'm sure that since I've heard that the Rangers have complained to MLB after monday's game, he will be watched more closely now.

When I was watching the Angels/Rangers game on ESPN2 on Monday night, I noticed the same thing, but not in such great detail. I really wondering if he had something under his bill on his cap. I didn't think a whole lot of it and didn't even consider it again until this thread came up.

This is strange. It's almost like Deja-vu. Crazy stuff.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Arent the new hat's bill's green underneath now?

pretty sure ours are black

It certainly looks like something is under the bill of his cap. I imagine this will get sorted out pretty soon.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It certainly looks like something is under the bill of his cap. I imagine this will get sorted out pretty soon.
    I'm not a scientist and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express, but I'm pretty sure that white is the same kind of white under the bills of all of my old game hats. I have always assumed it was the salt from the persperation that works its way through the material on the bill. After many wearings, the salt deposits collect at the end of the bill.

Besides, it would be pretty stupid to use an obvious white substance to cheat.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    After many wearings…
    I'll betcha that tonight will mark the fourth time that hat has been worn.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    I'll betcha that tonight will mark the fourth time that hat has been worn.
    Heck, I'll hazard a guess K-Rod goes through a lot of new hats.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I tend to think the mark is just the product of the hat being touched/tugged many times in the same area (as part of his routine), often with "resined" fingers. I can't really believe itr's much more than that.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

all of the bills are black underneath.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?