Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Right handed hitting

Right handed hitting

Reds big hitters today and tomorrow -- Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton, Votto, Bruce -- all left handed. EE -- right handed.

Notice a trend?

I think the current Reds lineup would be vastly better with a power hitting right handed first baseman. I like Hatt/Conine as a short-term platoon, but they are not impact guys.

I don't mean that Kearns should be there. I'm saying, imagine the team with Dunn, Derrick Lee, Griffey, EE in the middle of the order.

Going forward, concerned that there is an imbalance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Right handed hitting

The team was built this way starting with the Bowden era due to GABP and the short porch. Griffey, Dunn, Casey, etc etc.

There is a serious lack of RH hitters in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    There is a serious lack of RH hitters in the system.
    What about Alex Gonzalez?
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegNation View Post
    What about Alex Gonzalez?
    He's more of a right handed flailer.

You can never have too much left-handed hitting. Note that three of the guys mentioned to start this thread have yet to collect a major league hit, Jr.'s career is winding down and Dunn could be gone as a free agent after 2008.

The Reds problem isn't that the organization lacks enough RH hitting. It's thin on hitters, period.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Dunn could be gone as a free agent after 2007.
    Fixed (unfortunately.)
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

For this team to succeed they have to squeeze every bit of OBP out of it they can. I am glad to hear Narron, at least, say the right things (i.e. telling Phillips he'd like an OBP of .370 and not to worry about power numbers). The last 3 innings and for that matter the win was a product of looking at a lot of pitches, not giving in, and hitting with hitter's counts. That was good to see -and hopefully OBP will be heavily emphasized. The team has to improve greatly in this area cause they don't have enough hitting talent (read: high BA's) to have good success.

Can a zebra change its stripes?

A .370 OBP for Phillips? I'd take it and run but I certainly won't count on getting that from him. He'll either have to get much more patient or hit .330 to make it happen.

To quote Lee Hazelwood, Wayne's gonna have to buy back what he used to give away.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?