Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stupid free wireless question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stupid free wireless question

How does free wireless service in hotels work with my laptop? Does my service somehow use their wireless or do I need to plug-in?(which I guess would not be wireless ) Sorry for being stupid ahead of time!!

Re: Stupid free wireless question

redhawk,

It's not a stupid question at all. I only recently discovered the answer to your question. Windows Vista make this fairly easy, but I'm assuming you are using Windows XP

Provided your laptop is equipped with the necessary hardware, such as a wireless modem, what you need to do is find "Network Connections" (in Control Panel). Open Network Connections. You should see a network that might be labeled "wireless." Usually there is some ID associated to the wireless network that lets you know it's from your hotel. Select that network and it should connect you without too much trouble.

Hope this helps.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Thanks. I do use XP! You have been very helpful!

Also,

You might get a welcome screen that ask you for a code to enter (usually given to you from the front desk) and ask if you agree to the terms of service agreement.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

...and even if you don't have a wireless modem, most hotels that supply wireless will loan or lease you an external device at the front desk. Some just need a deposit until you return the device, others just charge you a fee.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I use this site all the time

http://www.wififreespot.com/

Massive database of free wifi hotspots all over the country. If your hotel connection is giving you issues, try someplace close.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I use this site all the time

http://www.wififreespot.com/

Massive database of free wifi hotspots all over the country. If your hotel connection is giving you issues, try someplace close.
    That's awesome, seriously awesome.

Cruisin' for trouble

Be careful when you book a hotel and it indicates "wireless internet access". The hotel I stayed in Atlanta advertised this, but when I asked them about this upon check-in, I was told that wireless access was only available on the first floor (I was booked on the third).

Turn Off Ads?