Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The Masters - Discussion thread

Re: The Masters - Discussion thread

Phil just got good wood on the ball.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Phil just got good wood on the ball.

Yeah I saw that. Wow that must have hit 4 trees before it stopped.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

He's got to be the dumbest rich guy on the planet with some of the shot selections he's made over his career.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

He got lucky his ball landed on that electrical cable. Much easier shot than it would have been.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    He's got to be the dumbest rich guy on the planet with some of the shot selections he's made over his career.
    If there's one thing Phil's good at, it's bad shot selection.

What I don't get is why all these guys have their clubs so strong lofted, and try to hit their clubs full most of the time.

One of the biggest mistakes amateurs always make is not taking enough club. You'd think Pros would know better, especially at The Masters.

Stop trying to nuke everything!

I don't think I'd feel too comfortable about only being up 5 strokes on a very angry Tiger going into the weekend. He's probably still on the range cursing about his round.

Tiger drains a 15 footer on 8 to go -2 on the day.

Tough start for Cincinnati's Wetterich...

Par
    Bogey
    Triple...

Today's winner: Augusta National.

Everyone else is just hanging on.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Today's winner: Augusta National.

Everyone else is just hanging on.
    Jack was right when he said they screwed up this course. Adding over 500 yards, and all of those trees, takes half the guys out of contention. It is no fun watching guys putting for 15 foot pars and bogey's.

Jack said that golf use to be a game of shot making, and not just drive it 330 yards. I'm not talking about Augusta specifically, but most courses on tour.

He said that a guy like Ben Hogan, the best ball striker, and shot maker of all time would not be in the top 50 today because he was only 5'8" a buck 40. In the last 4 years the average course on tour has added 300-400 yards to the course. In 2000 the average yardage for a tour course was about 7150 yards. Know it is over 7350 yards. Some courses added even more.

Jack said the USGA has pretty much allowed everything. He suggested that to make illegal clubs that are now legal, would be to much of a financial burden on the average golfer. He says that the PGA should play with a different ball that everybody on tour would have to play. This ball would be similar to the balata balls of the mid 80's and would decrease the drives by 50-75 yards. He said that MLB, NFL, etc all play with the same ball and the PGA should too.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    He said that MLB, NFL, etc all play with the same ball and the PGA should too.

Actually, they don't. The NFL plays with a different ball than the NCAA does and high schools play with a different ball than the NFL and NCAA does. And MLB doesn't play with the same ball colleges and high schools do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

There's too much sponsorship money at stake to go to a single ball.

Jack was right when he said they screwed up this course. Adding over 500 yards, and all of those trees, takes half the guys out of contention. It is no fun watching guys putting for 15 foot pars and bogey's.

Jack said that golf use to be a game of shot making, and not just drive it 330 yards. I'm not talking about Augusta specifically, but most courses on tour.

He said that a guy like Ben Hogan, the best ball striker, and shot maker of all time would not be in the top 50 today because he was only 5'8" a buck 40. In the last 4 years the average course on tour has added 300-400 yards to the course. In 2000 the average yardage for a tour course was about 7150 yards. Know it is over 7350 yards. Some courses added even more.

Jack said the USGA has pretty much allowed everything. He suggested that to make illegal clubs that are now legal, would be to much of a financial burden on the average golfer. He says that the PGA should play with a different ball that everybody on tour would have to play. This ball would be similar to the balata balls of the mid 80's and would decrease the drives by 50-75 yards. He said that MLB, NFL, etc all play with the same ball and the PGA should too.
    The game has evolved and courses must evolve with it. It's unfortunate, but I think it's necessary.

This tournament has seen the highest scores posted in Masters history. But I would blame the cold and windy weather rather than the course "upgrades". The pin placements should be more accessible tomorrow, especially on the back 9. We won't see a repeat scoring average of 77.34. I expect Tiger to shoot 70 tomorrow. I also expect to see a few guys to shoot 68.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    There's too much sponsorship money at stake to go to a single ball.
    You ain't kiddin there.

Titleist already has a strong deathgrip on the market share. If you go to 1 ball, then you're giving Titleist the keys to the ball monopoly. The Anti-Trust suit would go on for decades.

Aside from sponsorship issues, even at the Tour level, you have different swing types/speeds. Even with a "single" ball, you'd need 2 models: low spin and high spin.

If you tried to make a middle of the road version, you'd have everyone complaining about spin issues. It would be a nightmare for any governing body.

This is turning into a big problem. Today's golf balls go way too far. The clubs are a factor, but IMO, the ball has much more of an impact on how far shots are flying.

When I was in college, I remember testing the new Titleist Professional against the Tour Balata. I played 18 holes with both balls. On average, I hit the Professional 22 yards past the Balata. I play the ProV1x now and I would guess that it probably goes 20 yards past the Professional. It's really ridiculous. I used to have to bust my 4 iron to hit it 200 yards. Now my 4 iron flies 217 on a well-struck shot. Being 200 yards out used to be a really tough shot where now I'll just hit a hard 6 or punch a 5. Huge difference.

I know an amateur tournament in Ohio went to a uniform ball recently (Ohio Amateur?). I don't remember hearing how that turned out. Eventually, I think the PGA Tour will do something like that. However, it'll be a nightmare for all of the golf ball companies developing new lines of golf balls just for tour players. It'll cost them a fortune. Plus, the public won't want to play the "restricted" balls because they won't go far enough.

With that being said, would the PGA Tour players still get endorsements for playing companies golf balls if the public wasn't playing the same balls? Money, for both the companies and players, might not let this happen. I don't see an easy solution to the problem.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?