Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should both teams' lineups be listed to start a game thread?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it takes two to tango

    95 85.59%
  • No, it's all about the Reds

    16 14.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Both lineups to start a game thread?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,164

    Both lineups to start a game thread?

    I just opened today's game thread and I had to scroll to the second page to find the Cubs' lineup. That strikes me as the sort of basic info that should be in the opening post, both lineups and the starting pitchers.

    I figured I'd toss it out to see if people would like that to be the standard operating procedure or if they're fine just having the Reds lineup listed in the first post of a game thread.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  2. #2
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Yes, I think so. In the past, whoever started the thread had the responsibility to go back and edit their first post with the line-ups whenever they were in fact posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  3. #3
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,825

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    When the lineup is posted by C Trent it's just a lineup.

    When the opposing team has a lineup then it's a game.

  4. #4
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    When the lineup is posted by C Trent it's just a lineup.

    When the opposing team has a lineup then it's a game.
    Agreed. Well stated, as usual, woy.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  5. #5
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,745

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I just opened today's game thread and I had to scroll to the second page to find the Cubs' lineup. That strikes me as the sort of basic info that should be in the opening post, both lineups and the starting pitchers.

    I figured I'd toss it out to see if people would like that to be the standard operating procedure or if they're fine just having the Reds lineup listed in the first post of a game thread.
    Both lineups s/b the standard.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  6. #6
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,048

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    I thought that was the rule from the beginning - no game thread until both lineups are available.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  7. #7
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,437

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I thought that was the rule from the beginning - no game thread until both lineups are available.

    Lineups seem to be posted earlier this year thanks to Trent's blog. I can't recall Marc ever posting them this early and when he did it was usually both so it really wasn't an issue.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  8. #8
    Baseball card addict MrCinatit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Piqua
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I thought that was the rule from the beginning - no game thread until both lineups are available.
    Well darn it, it should.

    Besides, it could get rid of a "I started the game thread first!" trend I am fearful of seeing. Yeah, it is quite all right to get excited about opening day and starting early...I just dread seeing it done for September games against the Pirates.

  9. #9
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,672

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I thought that was the rule from the beginning - no game thread until both lineups are available.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  10. #10
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,746

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    I think waiting for both lineups to be posted will have the added benefit of keeping the prattle to a minimum before the game starts. Sometimes it seems there is 5-6 pages of calling Narron an idiot before the game even starts.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  11. #11
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Sometimes it seems there is 5-6 pages of calling Narron an idiot before the game even starts.
    It has become a RedsZone tradition.

  12. #12
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,437

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It has become a RedsZone tradition.

    [jimnantz]

    A tradition unlike any other.

    [/jimnantz]
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It has become a RedsZone tradition.
    Don't forget now, Castellini is pushing 'the power of tradition'.

    As has been pointed out (most notably when discussing how much revenue the Yankees are entitled to) a team can't play itself so I would agree that the thread should open with both lineups.

    Rem

  14. #14
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think waiting for both lineups to be posted will have the added benefit of keeping the prattle to a minimum before the game starts. Sometimes it seems there is 5-6 pages of calling Narron an idiot before the game even starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    161

    Re: Both lineups to start a game thread?

    I don't understand the big deal, don't read the thread if it upsets you about it starting an hour or two earlier. I would prefer it be up once the Reds lineup is posted, as then you get to discuss the game and the reds order more.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25