Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like the new REDS?

Do you like the new REDS?

If you haven't noticed by now, gone are the 8-7 and 9-8 victories.

The last couple of years we could actually be down 6-1 and not be worried, knowing there would be a chance for us to win the game 8-7.

This club is built around winning the 5-4 games and 4-3 games. And, with Arroyo and Harang we should win our share of the 3-2 games.

I prefer it this way, as I don't see us being down 5 runs after 5 innings as often this year. We obviously have an improved defense, an offense that's not as good, and I think pitching depth, especially when call-ups are made (Santos, Bray, Livingston, and others), has improved.

Small things (or small mistakes) can be the difference in many games this year (you hear that Ryan?).
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you like the new REDS?

Give it time. We will still have our share of 8-7 games.

With Dunn, Encarnacion, Griffey and Phillips, this team will score it's fair share of runs. Maybe not as much as years past, but they'll score some runs.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

It's 40 degrees. Not many games are going to be 10-9 in that weather.

Roster glue

I'm still worried about the offense, but I think a bench player with some pop from the right side would work wonders. I was pretty embarrassed when Ross was batting last night and Moeller was taking swings in the on deck circle to PH as our only RH option off the bench (not counting Castro). Replace Moeller with some "free talent" with a good platoon split against LHP and I would feel a lot better.

That said, the starting pitching has the potential to no longer be the run-letting sieve it has been throughout most of my adult life. I don't really feel comfortable with Lohse/Belisle, but I like the upside much more than Haynes, Moehler, Estes, Ortiz, and the like.

Wow boog you were snake bit last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Roster glue

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Wow boog you were snake bit last season.
    I went to a lot of Claussen starts, but still. The one win was in extras when the Reds ran wild against the Nats with LeCroy behind the plate.

One poster here "DFA'd" me when I announced the Reds' record when I was there

This team is really easy to get out in spots 7-8-9..which is true for alot of teams but especially this one combine that with the #3 hole where I just think Phillips is far weaker than any other team's #3 spot, we have some offensive issues. Against lefties it looks downright horid.

We need a RH bat in the outfield in the worst way to make the offense look respectable.

The Reds finished 1st and 2nd the last two years in team HR's in the NL. I don't see how this lineup can't break the top 5. This lineup has thump if guys like Brandon Phillips, EE, and Ross contribute their fair share.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

I think this team will have to worry a lot more about losing games 9-3, 8-2 than it will about losing games 9-7, 8-6.

I just don't think this lineup is very good, and for the most part is too old to have much hope that it will get better. Still, they are 2-1, so I will enjoy it for now.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

As long as THIS Reds team keeps winning series, I'll like them just fine, no matter what the scores are.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    The last couple of years we could actually be down 6-1 and not be worried, knowing there would be a chance for us to win the game 8-7.
    Or on some miracle nights, 7-0!
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    This team is really easy to get out in spots 7-8-9..which is true for alot of teams but especially this one combine that with the #3 hole where I just think Phillips is far weaker than any other team's #3 spot, we have some offensive issues. Against lefties it looks downright horid.

We need a RH bat in the outfield in the worst way to make the offense look respectable.
    Freel is RH. But obviously that's not what you mean... I don't understand you comment.

And why is a RH bat important in the outfield anyway? You think they should bench Freel and replace him?
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 04-05-2007 at 10:51 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I feel this team will have more low run games than last year, attributed mainly to lack of production I see from the current lineup. Problems that jump out at me due to a lack of versatility / depth.

1) No true leadoff hitter. Freel IMO is not a very good leadoff hitter at this point in his career. He fails to work the count far to often, and is a free swinger. However, he is the only viable option to leadoff due to speed and lack of depth, perhaps Phillips will hit #1 when Freel doesn't start. (Phillips has many of the same problems as Freel)

2) Brandon Phillips at this point in his career is not a big league #3 hitter. He has tremendous talent but doesn't have professional AB's the majority of the time, i'd love to see him be able to fine tune his approach at the plate deep in the order ideally #7 spot. Brandon had success last year deep in the order, and some in the 2 hole. The way hitters are pitched in the #3 spot to the #7 spot are vastly different. This is why it's key for Phillips to work into a hitters count and attack fastballs, because he won't be seeing as many in the #3 hole.

3) Griffey Production. I would consider a solid season from Jr. to result in 25 homeruns and 80 rbi's. From wathcing film his bat speed through the contact zone has appeared to reduce substantially. He can not be counted upon for the 30 hr 100 rbi season this team needs, leaving the over bearing burden of the majority of run production and power numbers to Dunn and EE. One of which is currently hitting #2. By Dunn being realied on for the majority of run production hitting #2 throws the lineup balance off. I'm not against Dunn hitting #2, but perhaps the Reds current needs dictate Dunn bats elsewhere.

4) David Ross returning to career norms. In 2 games (and everyone is entilted to 2 poor games) Ross has looked clueless at the dish. Having a down year would further hurt the hole in the lineup that is the 6,7,8 slots in the order. Hatteberg and Conine will be solid but not spectatcular, A. Gonz will be below average at the dish, so this leaves the power in the hands of Ross to swing this portion of the lineup by his #'s. With good Ross production the 6,7,8 can contribute, with poor Ross production the 6,7,8 can really hurt this lineup.

Bottom Line: I do believe we'll see our share of 8-7 games (we always do) but this club is certainly more geared towards the 3-2 end of things. The vision to flip this clubs mindset is starting to be seen, however the Reds aren't yet a prototypical "small ball" lineup.

Some of you guys kill me! Let me ask you this, how many playoff apperances did the Reds make finishing 1 or 2 in home runs? I am excited about our new approach to winning and believe that our new team is much better than any of the last 7-8 years teams. Also our minor leagues are coming along, with a number of players to get excited about. We are just in the 1st series of the year, so come on!

Turn Off Ads?