Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Huggy Bear to WVU

Re: Huggy Bear to WVU

I've heard there was a WVU clause in the contract also, but I'm not sure. I understand his buyout was only $100,000.

This'll be interesting; that's for sure. Huggins is the anti-Beilein.

But if people really want to become WVU fans now, they ought to know that it isn't KSU gear that's traditionally burned....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    But if people really want to become WVU fans now, they ought to know that it isn't KSU gear that's traditionally burned....

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I wasn't referring to "fans" but the players who followed him there and their families, who in this case literally moved to Manhattan.

Basically he just screwed KSU and his players big time, as soon as a better opportunity came up.

No one wanted him a year ago and KSU gave him an opportunity, so what does he do? Says "buh-bye fools!"

Huggins is a poor example for kids everywhere, and is honestly just a bloated jerk I've lost all respect for. And this again coming from a lifelong UC fan.
    Really? His ex players wouldn't probably agree with you. But they might be a little further from the man from you, I dunno.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

It seems to me that there are two types of very successful coaches. Those that choose to build their career, and those that choose to build legacies. Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Jim Tressel (it seems), Bob Knight, Jim Beheim, Coach K, etc. either have or will have monuments built for them at their schools. Billy Donovan, among others, may be following in their shoes. Petino, Calipari, and Spurrier tried the career path, only to find that it didn't really suit their style. Bill Parcells, Nick Saban, and countless others have all been successful while constantly searching for the next best deal. If it were me, I would choose the healthy salary and the statue on the quad. OTOH, who is to say that those who choose the biggest paycheck are wrong?

University of Cincinnati

He said it had nothing to do w money. Im sure he feels bad about his decision he made but jesus sometimes u have to do what u want to do he already passed his dream job once bc of wanting to do the right thing for other people why should he let the opportunity pass again with how well the last time went none of us would.
    THE University of Cincinnati

I can't say I blame the man for leaving KSU to coach his alma mater. After all, Griffey Jr. demanded a trade out of Seattle to come home to Cincinnati and play for the Reds. Huggins is just living out his lifelong dream.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Really? His ex players wouldn't probably agree with you. But they might be a little further from the man from you, I dunno.

Maybe, maybe not, but people around his current players apparantly aren't too happy about it.

“Where’s the loyalty?” said Sonny Vaccaro, who has served as an adviser to Walker. “Here’s a case where a young person was again put in jeopardy for the benefit of others who should have known better. The adults have the freedom to break every heart in the world. The young kids don’t have the freedom to do anything. This is wrong.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/06/sp...ts&oref=slogin

Is Kansas State better today or before he arrived? KSU knew what it was getting into. If Huggins coached well, there was always a good chance he'd be a candidate somehwere else.
    How is this any different than Thad Matta, Billy Gillespie, or Todd Lickliter?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Is Kansas State better today or before he arrived? KSU knew what it was getting into. If Huggins coached well, there was always a good chance he'd be a candidate somehwere else.
    How is this any different than Thad Matta, Billy Gillespie, or Todd Lickliter?
    I think people are more pissed because he left after only being someplace for one year.

The coaches you listed were at the schools they left for multiple years. It's the one year thing that is really getting under peoples skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I think people are more pissed because he left after only being someplace for one year.

The coaches you listed were at the schools they left for multiple years. It's the one year thing that is really getting under peoples skin.

Well, didn't Thad leave Butler after 1 year?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Is Kansas State better today or before he arrived?
    That's kind of a difficult question, isn't it. It has the chance to be better. If the recruits stay and they get a coach that motivates them and they want to play for, then yes, they could be better off today. But, this is a top recruiting class that came to play for Huggins. If they don't end up going to KSU, or transfer or play in Europe, then KSU is kind of left hanging. So, they could be better or they could be just where they were before he came.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Well, didn't Thad leave Butler after 1 year?
    He left for Xavier after only one season.

So players that would never have considered Kansas State before last year may or may not come now that Huggins is gone.

Improving the odds from 0% to 25% is an improvement I would think.

If Kansas State didn't have a short list of candidates within 24 hours of something thats been speculated for weeks, they don't deserve a top 25 program.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

So players that would never have considered Kansas State before last year may or may not come now that Huggins is gone.

Improving the odds from 0% to 25% is an improvement I would think.

If Kansas State didn't have a short list of candidates within 24 hours of something thats been speculated for weeks, they don't deserve a top 25 program.
    What happens if those players do all try to go with Huggins, though? That wouldn't be much of an improvement at all, now would it. It could be worse considering how late it is to find replacements. Sure, its a worse case senario. As a whole, yes it probably is a better program than it was, but it is possible that it could be worse than when he came. What its done is create a lot of uncertainty for a program that wasn't exactly solid before he came. I don't know that I blame him, considering its WVU.

That aside, it is interesting to think. Is he better off going to WVU? Sure WVU is the better program, but with the class he was having come in and style of play that the returning players at WVU are used to, was this the best choice?

From what is being said on some other message boards, Kansas State will not release the incoming recruiting class from their letters of intent. The incoming recruits will either have to tranfer and sit out a year or go play in Europe for a year and enter next years NBA draft (for a guy like Beasley).

KSU claims that this has always been their policy in these situations, just no one cared before.

Turn Off Ads?