Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Extreme Lack of Speed Off the Bench

The Extreme Lack of Speed Off the Bench

Jeff Conine/Scott Hatteberg
    Juan Castro
    Javier Valentin
    Chad Moeller
    Josh Hamitlon

Out of the 6 some, the only one that isn't (oh my God) slow is Hamilton. However, do any of us know how fast Hamilton is? Is he a guy that can come off the bench and swipe you a base?

After watching the game today, there were points late in the game where you would think it was an obvious situation to pinch run. When Conine, then Hatteberg were on late in the game, it would seem like an obvious pinch running situation. A runner never came.

To me, it seems like not having a guy that can come off the bench with speed, or pinch hit and bunt will come back to hurt us eventually.

So I guess I have 4 questions.

1) Is the lack of speed a concern?
    2) Do you think Hamilton can steal you a base as a PR if need to be, or just an adiquit pinch runner in general?
    3) Do you think Wayne is shopping for a speedy OFer who plays good D?
    4) Am I overreacting?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Extreme Lack of Speed Off the Bench

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Jeff Conine/Scott Hatteberg
    Juan Castro
    Javier Valentin
    Chad Moeller
    Josh Hamitlon

Out of the 6 some, the only one that isn't (oh my God) slow is Hamilton. However, do any of us know how fast Hamilton is? Is he a guy that can come off the bench and swipe you a base?

After watching the game today, there were points late in the game where you would think it was an obvious situation to pinch run. When Conine, then Hatteberg were on late in the game, it would seem like an obvious pinch
    running situation. A runner never came.
    To me, it seems like not having a guy that can come off the bench with speed, or pinch hit and bunt will come back to hurt us eventually.

So I guess I have 4 questions.

2) Do you think Hamilton can steal you a base as a PR if need to be, or just an adiquit pinch runner in general?
    4) Am I overreacting?
    1) Yes, somewhat

2) Yes, but I don't think he's Freel fast.

3) Maybe. I think the roster is still a work in progress, particularly with the DL situations we have. I think if they can move an arm for an OFer, they'll do it.

4) Well... that's a regular passtime around here, isn't it? It is a legitimate concern.

There's an extreme lack of everything with this bench.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Can he be stopped?

At least we don't have to worry about Luke Hudson pinch running...
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    At least we don't have to worry about Luke Hudson pinch running...
    I preffered that to his pitching.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

It most certainly is. In late game situations a speedy pinch runner will be needed more often than a 3rd catcher will be Tight game situations it does more than just allow a runner to score from 1st on the double. Fast baserunners often stress the pitcher and breaks concentration. Constantly throwing balls over to first often allow for either A) more hittable pitches for the batter or B) more walks which in turn lead to more runs. Just the mere presence of a speedy baserunner on 1st can often change a pitcher's entire approach. We are missing this aspect.

2) Do you think Hamilton can steal you a base as a PR if need be, or just an adequate pinch runner in general?

Any answer here is just a shot in the dark so I'm going to say that the sample size is too small but he does show raw speed (baserunning ability? who knows at this point). I would like to think that he has the ability to though. He is a "5 tool talent" for crying out loud...

From the sounds of the whole victor santos thing (originally announcing only a 24 man roster...) and his talks about a trade in the works it sure sounds like it. Especially with Deno going down for the year. With the somewhat improved bullpen it seems to me to be the 1st matter of priority on this club. Everything else people often complain about this team would require a complete overhaul and massive roster changes to solve. But this is a glaring weakness on the team that appears to have an easy solution. Trade a member from our plethora of mediocre to above average bull pen guys for an average outfielder known more for his speed and defense with a little pop. There have been countless threads with reasonable guys to look at that could be had cheaply...

see for a list http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56292

4) Am I overreacting

Any and all questions are worth asking. I agree completely though. If Freel is starting there is absolutely no one to come off the bench in late inning situations that could nab a bag or 2
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 04-06-2007 at 02:59 AM.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Whatever happened to Jerry Gil? I know he wasn't going to make the big league club but I thought his speed could be used in certain situations. Also can't bubba crosby steal bases? I remember when Dave Roberts was basically on the redsox to be a pinch runner and base stealer. When the season starts winding down cant the reds call up a guy like Dickerson to just be a base runner?

The club is living on borrowed time with the bench as is currently constructed.

Yeah, they lack speed, but also pretty much everything else.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Whatever happened to Jerry Gil? I know he wasn't going to make the big league club but I thought his speed could be used in certain situations.
    Gil is on the 15 day DL. I expect he'll be in Louisville when he's healthy.

Perhaps when Hopper comes off the DL or if Wayne trades for an OF, then Narron will be more inclined to use Hamilton as a PR. When Conine starts, Hamilton is the only OF available to back up all 3 OF slots. I can see why Narron is hestitant to burn Hamilton as a PR.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Perhaps when Hopper comes off the DL or if Wayne trades for an OF, then Narron will be more inclined to use Hamilton as a PR. When Conine starts, Hamilton is the only OF available to back up all 3 OF slots. I can see why Narron is hestitant to burn Hamilton as a PR.
    This was close to my post. Deno going down hurt this, but Hopper should help fill this gap and then with Hamilton starts you'll have Freel and Hopper on the bench. The extreme weakness will be a strength on those days. I'll feel bad for Deno, but Hopper and Hamilton should get every opportunity. I personally think Hamilton could be a key this year. Not sure how long Freel is going to make it!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

I think we need to be patient. It is obvious nobody planned on heading north with this bench. Deno going down really hurt. Other teams are going to have guys coming off injuries and there will be decisions that need to be made. Perhaps we can steal a guy who is out of options somewhere or something like that. I have nobody specific in mind but I have to beleive there are some guys out there who can be had. A Cody Ross type move.

Wayne is simply doing what his critics ask him to do, not give up the farm just to fill a need. Right now we need some speed on our bench and it could probably be had if we offered "the moon". But obviously WK hasn't offered that but he clearly hasn't been able to find a fit with what he is offering.

This brings up an interesting question. What should he do? Say he has determined what he will give up for a 5th OF type with some speed but other teams aren't biting. Does he sit still and read the complaints here about how stupid he is not to have more speed or does he, offer the moon?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Yeah, they lack speed, but also pretty much everything else.
    Not veteran presence
    Go Gators!

Honestly, they would truly benefit from a speedy, good glove OFer on the bench, a RH one at that.

The problem the current makeup causes is that Hamilton is not only probably the best bat on the bench in terms of hitting for avg. He's also the only backup OFer when Conine starts at 1B, and he's the only guy with any speed.

So, if Conine is starting at 1B, Jerry can't PH Hamilton at just any spot in the game. He has to save him in the event an OF needs taken out of the game. He also can't use the only semi-fast guy he's got on his bench as a PR in these cases.

I'm hoping all of these problems go away soon. I'm hoping as soon as Hopper is healthy, he'll take Moeller's spot on the bench and Moeller will be sent elsewhere.

Still not an ideal bench with Hopper instead of Moeller, but it doesn't hamstring the team as much as the current configuration.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Krivsky needs to pickup Joey Gathright,the Royals released him.No bat,but blazing speed.

Turn Off Ads?