Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BILLY G. to KY.

BILLY G. to KY.

1:15pm Press Conference

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BILLY G. to KY.

Here's a great article about Billy G. He looks like a near perfect fit to be UK basketball Coach. He eats,sleeps and drinks basketball. All UK fans should read this and should be very excited about this hire. Time will tell if this is a great hire but as of right now it is! He kinda reminds of a young coach UK hired back in 1989.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...h.189240a.html
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Total years worked outside the state of Texas: 3

Total number of players on A+M's current roster not from the state of Texas: 2
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 04-06-2007 at 09:16 AM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

They blew it Razor. UK missed the boat by not hiring our guy.

So you're saying it is not Billy Donovan or Thad Matta?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

They were going to get them a Billy one way or another.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The choice is not being received well by the fans on talk radio here. Billy G had just gotten a big bump in P.A.Y. to over $2 million, so they thought he was at A&M to stay. Being jilted at the foot of the money tree doesn't help their self-esteem, which was at an all-time high after 2 trips to the Sweet 16.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Gillispie is a huge fan of horse racing. The lure of more money and the prospect of being at the center of the thoroughbred universe was too strong to resist.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The choice is not being received well by the fans on talk radio here. Billy G had just gotten a big bump in P.A.Y. to over $2 million, so they thought he was at A&M to stay. Being jilted at the foot of the money tree doesn't help their self-esteem, which was at an all-time high after 2 trips to the Sweet 16.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Gillispie is a huge fan of horse racing. The lure of more money and the prospect of being at the center of the thoroughbred universe was too strong to resist.
    It apparently isn't being well received by some Cat fans either. A buddy from southern Indiana just emailed me and said all the Wildcat fans in his office are up in arms over this hire. He hasn't heard one UK fan defend the hire. I thought that was a little interesting.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It apparently isn't being well received by some Cat fans either. A buddy from southern Indiana just emailed me and said all the Wildcat fans in his office are up in arms over this hire. He hasn't heard one UK fan defend the hire. I thought that was a little interesting.
    Billy G. seems to have been the third choice, after Billy D. and Rick Barnes. He's a good coach, but they do appear to be settling.
    /r/reds

Billy G. seems to have been the third choice, after Billy D. and Rick Barnes. He's a good coach, but they do appear to be settling.
    Barnes supposedly declined an interview as well, saying "why talk to someone who considers you a second choice coach".

I have to admit to knowing zero about Gillespie prior to his hiring [yeah I knew he was the A&M coach, but thats about it] but reading what I've read this morning and I feel comfortable. He's young, not married, and bleeds basketball. UK needs someone like that in my eyes.

Put me in the happy with the hire column.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Once Donovan said no, they were going to appear to be settling regardless of who they hired. I posted this last night, but Gillispie was my #2 choice behind Donovan, and I'm as happy as could be.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    I'm not sure how big his office is, but I would consider that a small sample size. Everyone I've chatted with this morning is pleased. The worst thing I've heard about Gillispie is "I'm not familiar enough with him to have a strong opinion".

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I'm not sure how big his office is, but I would consider that a small sample size. Everyone I've chatted with this morning is pleased. The worst thing I've heard about Gillispie is "I'm not familiar enough with him to have a strong opinion".
    Oh, it's definitely a small sample size but it's the only sample size I've got at the moment.

I would imagine most Kentucky fans would be pleased with this hire. There will undoubtedly be some that are just bitter over Donovan spurning them but most fans will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Everyone I've chatted with this morning is pleased.
    I'll change that for you.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Barnes supposedly declined an interview as well, saying "why talk to someone who considers you a second choice coach".
    So if a "single" Rick Barnes meets his long time love ,Janet, (fictitious name)
    who he loved all his life but she loved someone else.
    Well Janet catches her guy cheating on her and calls up Barnes and says "Rick....how about it"

Would Rick say " No Janet....I was your 2nd choice" ?

Anyway....I am glad Mr Barnes(who I was not a big fan of) did this and I am okay with BG !
    Last edited by jmac; 04-06-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Turn Off Ads?