Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: BILLY G. to KY.

Re: BILLY G. to KY.

I am pleased with the hire. Like most, outside of knwoing he is the coach at A&M and the few articles I have read on him this morning, I don't know a whole lot about him. I do know a little about DeAndre Jordan though and am hoping like crazy that he hasn't signed a LOI to A&M and that he is going to be following Billy to UK.

EDIT: I just checked Rivals and it says the he has signed a LOI. Hopefully they will let him out of it and he will be willing to come to Lexington. That would fill the void left by Morris very nicely.
    Last edited by cincy jacket; 04-06-2007 at 10:10 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I'm not sure how big his office is, but I would consider that a small sample size. Everyone I've chatted with this morning is pleased. The worst thing I've heard about Gillispie is "I'm not familiar enough with him to have a strong opinion".
    For those who feel that way, perhaps this will help. FWIW, since I heard about this at 7:00AM today, I have heard nothing but optomism about the Gillispie hire....

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/35763.html

Posted on Fri, Apr. 06, 2007
    Kentucky to name Gillispie basketball coach
    By Jerry Tipton

Kentucky might have found a coach who loves basketball as passionately as its fans do.
    In his meteoric rise through the coaching ranks, Billy Clyde Gillispie has gained a reputation as someone who lives, eats and breathes the sport.

A recent profile of the coach in The New York Times said the cliché about being married to a job fit Gillispie. Divorced with no children, he’s got the time to devote all his energies to the job.

It shows.

Gillispie, who sports a won-loss record of 100-58 in five seasons, has revived basketball programs at Texas-El Paso and Texas A&M in his short but spectacular coaching career. At each stop, he manufactured the biggest one-season improvement in college basketball.

His first UTEP team had a 6-24 record. His second went 24-8 and won the Western Athletic Conference.

His reward was another reclamation project, this time at Texas A&M. Gillispie inherited a team that went 7-21 the season before he arrived. His first A&M team went 21-10, making Gillispie the first coach in Division I history to have the country’s most-improved record in back-to-back seasons.

Texas A&M had a school record 27-7 record this past season, which included a top-10 ranking and advancement to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.

In describing Gillispie’s single-minded devotion to the job, The New York Times noted that he drinks Dr. Pepper for breakfast, isn’t sure about his sister’s last name and “is so tough on his players that his mother swears she would not play for him.”

Gillispie, 47, noted his “unbalanced” life in an interview with Times sportswriter Pete Thamel. Gillispie grew up in Graford, Texas, a central Texas town too small (population 578) to let football capture the people’s imagination. Basketball, which requires fewer players and less equipment, became the town’s sport.

His father, Clyde, drove a cattle truck. His mother, Wimpy, still works as a checkout clerk at Morrow Grocery. His sister, Jerry Hoffman, coaches girls basketball at an east Texas high school.

A high school point guard, Gillispie attended Ranger College, a junior college in Texas. He began his coaching career as a team manager at Sam Houston State.

Gillispie, who has made 10 job changes in the past 19 years, got his big break when Bill Self hired him from Baylor to be an assistant at Tulsa. He followed Self to Illinois, where he was credited with recruiting the core players on the Illini’s 2005 Final Four team.

St. John’s Coach Norm Roberts, who worked on the same Illinois staff, has recalled how Gillispie had 50 or 60 hand-written recruiting letters stacked behind his desk each day. “And they were all different,” Roberts told The New York Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I heard a couple of weeks ago that Gillispie is a huge fan of horse racing. The lure of more money and the prospect of being at the center of the thoroughbred universe was too strong to resist.
    It has been reported that Gillispie is an avid horse racing fan who regularly attends the Kentucky Derby. At this year's Final Four, he was quoted how he hit a 47-1 long shot with Lemons Forever in last year’s Kentucky Oaks.

Dibs on Firebillygillispie.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Dibs on Firebillygillispie.com
    How long before that site takes off?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    How long before that site takes off?
    When is next year's Louisville game?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

part of BBN

Hopefully Billy the G will bring Jordan with him (if allowed out of his LOI).

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    As loss to the Cardinals and the sky will be falling, huh?

As loss to the Cardinals and the sky will be falling, huh?
    Yup. Bet on it.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Is that kinda like, "Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?"

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Hopefully Billy the G will bring Jordan with him (if allowed out of his LOI).
    "Billy the G"?

No offense, but for the love of God...I hope that nickname does not stick.

Remind me to apologize to OSU fans some time. This is the worst beating I've ever taken for being a fan of a team that was actually any good.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Remind me to apologize to OSU fans some time. This is the worst beating I've ever taken for being a fan of a team that was actually any good.
    What beating are you taking?

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    "Billy the G"?

No offense, but for the love of God...I hope that nickname does not stick.
    How about ....BGill....you know, like J-Lo but it would be B-Gill ?

Or the "Great Gillispie ".....BillyG......I am open for suggestions...

They blew it Razor. UK missed the boat by not hiring our guy.
    Mike Davis is a great coach and UK is missing out big time. DUMB.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?