Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: BILLY G. to KY.

Re: BILLY G. to KY.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    That's something taken right out of the Kentucky fans' pages. This is what bothers me about a lot of teams' fans. These fans will brag about titles they won when they weren't even born! Unfortunately, I'm a UC fan but I don't freaking brag about winning NC's in the 1960's. Young fans at UK, IU, and other tradition schools with brag about going to a Final Four in the 1960's or 70's.

As for the hire of BG, he was the 2nd best option behind BD and I think UK did AWESOME for themselves. UK fans will never be pleased. They could've hired Jesus to coach the team and all they would complain how he wouldn't recruit a 5 star 6'4" shooting guard because he skipped church last week.
    Well if you want to get techincal about it why do any of us brag about anything a team or school that we like does? We have absolutely nothing to do with it. I think it's good to be proud of what you're school did in the past. And by the way both UK and IU have won titles since the 60's and 70's.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    And by the way both UK and IU have won titles since the 60's and 70's.
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

That's something taken right out of the Kentucky fans' pages. This is what bothers me about a lot of teams' fans. These fans will brag about titles they won when they weren't even born! Unfortunately, I'm a UC fan but I don't freaking brag about winning NC's in the 1960's. Young fans at UK, IU, and other tradition schools with brag about going to a Final Four in the 1960's or 70's.
    I'll tell you how many championships we've won as a program and what the glorious history of our program means to me all day long... but as far as bragging about past endeavors? OH YEAH YOU SHOULD"VE SEEN THAT 49 RUPP TEAM DAMN WE KICKED EVERYBODY'S BUTTS?? not so much.

96 & 98? You bet your *** I'll brag about those teams all day long.

UK fans will never be pleased. They could've hired Jesus to coach the team and all they would complain how he wouldn't recruit a 5 star 6'4" shooting guard because he skipped church last week.

Not true. Not true at all. UK fans demand a lot, but when a coach wins here, he is deified. UK fans demand consistent excellency, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Last edited by WMR; 04-06-2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Actually, that year was one of the first years that they conducted the "Big Blue Bash" charity auction (now an annual event done by Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital).

My dad became obsessed with following the team during the 1970s and went to all of the big NCAA tourney games during that era. His winning bid was a jaw-dropping $500 back then.

The ball is autographed by all of the UK players and coaches who were on that team. The head referee in the game even took a ballpoint pen and wrote the final score along the center seam: 92-90
    Wow that's awesome, Blimp.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Actually, it was Emory Freight...but we get the point.

Quit editing my stuff to make me look bad!
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

UK fans will never be pleased. They could've hired Jesus to coach the team and all they would complain how he wouldn't recruit a 5 star 6'4" shooting guard because he skipped church last week.
    UK fans are impossible to please. They get to enjoy five 10- to 12-loss seasons in the past nine years, and yet they complain. They watch their team accomplish two straight #8 seeds (the first time since the NCAA began seeding the tournament in the 1970s that the program has had two straight years of being seeded #8 or lower), and that's not good enough. They watch nine straight Final Fours come and go without their favorite team involved, the longest streak in the history of the institution, and yet they can find no joy in it. I could go on and on, but we've heard all this before. Bottom line, fans at places like Duke, Louisville, NC, Kansas, and UCLA would be tickled to death with 12 losses a year, but Kentucky fans have to be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    UK fans are impossible to please. They get to enjoy five 10- to 12-loss seasons in the past nine years, and yet they complain. They watch their team accomplish two straight #8 seeds (the first time since the NCAA began seeding the tournament in the 1970s that the program has had two straight years of being seeded #8 or lower), and that's not good enough. They watch nine straight Final Fours come and go without their favorite team involved, the longest streak in the history of the institution, and yet they can find no joy in it. I could go on and on, but we've heard all this before. Bottom line, fans at places like Duke, Louisville, NC, Kansas, and UCLA would be tickled to death with 12 losses a year, but Kentucky fans have to be difficult.

"We're not worthy! We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

How long is his window before he gets run out of town?

Sorry.

But they lost the one that mattered most on March 22, 1975.

My dad still has the game ball.
    UD Arena. I sat between the IU and UK bands at that game. Their fight songs were embedded in my brain for weeks.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Are kids ever unallowed to leave after signing their LOI when the coach that recruited them leaves? I've heard of them being prevented from going anywhere within conference, but could they say that he couldn't follow his coach?
    The rules vary from conference to conference, and from school to school.

With a coach change kids have to receive the blessing of the signing school to get a release from the LOI. This happened with UC after Huggins left and the Johnson kid left.

Some conferences won't let players transfer between schools in conference, and stay on scholarship.

Some schools will not release players from LOI or scholarship. The kids would have to sit out the year. Current scholarship players would not be allowed to leave until after the school year ends, and then they would have to sit out the following season. Some schools will release kids to some schools but not others.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 04-06-2007 at 03:23 PM.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    UD Arena. I sat between the IU and UK bands at that game. Their fight songs were embedded in my brain for weeks.
    You are so lucky! The old man went to the game with some co-workers. Because I was only seven at the time, I had to listen to Cawood Ledford on the radio.

On second thought, maybe I was lucky. Cawood's voice would sound pretty good to me about now.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    How long is his window before he gets run out of town?
    To save some keystrokes, I'll just provide a link to this.

I had not seen this posted on the thread yet, but here are the details about the coinage:

The former Texas A&M coach succeeds Tubby Smith and agreed to a seven-year contract that will pay him $2.3 million a year in base salary, athletic department spokesman Scott Stricklin said. Gillispie could earn performance incentives up to $750,000 a year and academic incentives of up to $100,000.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    To save some keystrokes, I'll just provide a link to this.
    Fair enough.

These past two days have absolutlely killed the Big 12. KU's RPI will go straight into the flusher.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?