Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question about Designated Hitter Rule

Question about Designated Hitter Rule

Can you designate any player to be replaced in the batting order by the DH or is it automatically the pitcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Question about Designated Hitter Rule

According to mlb.com it has to be the pitcher.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...egulations.jsp

The Designated Hitter rule
    A hitter may be designated to bat for the starting pitcher and all subsequent pitchers in any game without otherwise affecting the status of the pitcher(s) in the game. A Designated Hitter for the pitcher must be selected prior to the game and must be included in the lineup cards presented to the Umpire-in-Chief.

The Designated Hitter named in the starting lineup must come to bat at least one time, unless the opposing club changes pitchers. It is not mandatory that a club designate a hitter for the pitcher, but failure to do so prior to the game precludes the use of a Designated Hitter for that game.

Pinch hitters for a Designated Hitter may be used. Any substitute hitter for a Designated Hitter himself becomes a Designated Hitter. A replaced Designated Hitter shall not re-enter the game in any capacity. The Designated Hitter may be used defensively, continuing to bat in the same position in the batting order, but the pitcher must then bat in the place of the substituted defensive player, unless more than one substitution is made, and the manager then must designate their spots in the batting order.

A runner may be substituted for the Designated Hitter and the runner assumes the role of the Designated Hitter.

A Designated Hitter is "locked" into the batting order. No multiple substitutions may be made that will alter the batting rotation of the Designated Hitter.

Once the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a defensive position this move shall terminate the DH role for the remainder of the game. Once a pinch-hitter bats for any player in the batting order and then enters the game to pitch, this move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for the remainder of the game.

Once a Designated Hitter assumes a defensive position this move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for the remainder of the game.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Thanks RFA! Watching this BoSox/Rangers game got me thinking about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

In high school, the DH bats for whomever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Yep. In my case, that someone was me. :

I was the one batting for the rising star sophomore infielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    One of the many reasons why the DH rule is evil. If you have a good-field no-hit kid on your team or a guy who's a big oaf in the field, you should be forced to deal with it. You can make a case for the DH in pro ball because pitchers don't bat often enough to justify maintaining their batting skills. But since HS pitchers are often some of the best athletes on the team and can still handle a stick at that point, there's no need for the DH. If you're going to trot some kid out there every game, they should have to bat as well as field.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Thanks RFA! Watching this BoSox/Rangers game got me thinking about it...
    Had to be Doug Mirabelli, right?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    One of the many reasons why the DH rule is evil. If you have a good-field no-hit kid on your team or a guy who's a big oaf in the field, you should be forced to deal with it. You can make a case for the DH in pro ball because pitchers don't bat often enough to justify maintaining their batting skills. But since HS pitchers are often some of the best athletes on the team and can still handle a stick at that point, there's no need for the DH. If you're going to trot some kid out there every game, they should have to bat as well as field.
    High Schools should not even use the DH. I don't see how that helps anyone. I don't think colleges should use it either. This is a big problem in the 21st Century all because Bowie Kuhn allowed it as an experiment in the early 70s.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 04-09-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I can say I was never DHing for anybody.

I pretty much sucked

I'm sure there are a number of folks on the board here who could name quite a number of hitters who were converted from pitcher. A handful I can think of

Babe Ruth (did both, some say at a HOF caliber in both roles - he lead the AL in ERA one year)

Stan Musial

Frank McCormick

Some players now, like Josh Hamilton and Austin Kearns were drafted with their role being an open question.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Yep. In my case, that someone was me. :
    Learn to bunt slacker
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?