Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about Hamilton starts in CF and Freel off the bench?

How about Hamilton starts in CF and Freel off the bench?

Since everyone is so head over heels about Hamilton, why not? Defensively, this should be a wash or maybe a slight improvement with Hamilton. Freel could then be the speed off the bench the team needs and he could obviously still fill in for when Junior or Phillips need a day off. You could bat Phillips lead off since this 3-hole thing isn't exactly working as planned.

I think you've gotta at least give this a few tries to see how it plays out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about Hamilton starts in CF and Freel off the bench?

He was scheduled to start yesterday (not sure which position), but was scratched because of flu symptoms. His wife had left the previous game with those same symptoms.

I'm sure he was heartbroken too.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Hamilton will get his time without a doubt.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Since everyone is so head over heels about Hamilton, why not? Defensively, this should be a wash or maybe a slight improvement with Hamilton. Freel could then be the speed off the bench the team needs and he could obviously still fill in for when Junior or Phillips need a day off. You could bat Phillips lead off since this 3-hole thing isn't exactly working as planned.

I think you've gotta at least give this a few tries to see how it plays out.
    I don't think Phillips is near patient enough to lead off. I think he swings at every single slider that is thrown to him. And he swings like they're fastballs.

Honestly I'd rather have Hamilton lead off than Phillips. But I'd like to see what Hamilton does for a couple months of starting a couple days a week before starting him over Freel.
    "three dimes, a one hundred dollar bill and and 87 ones..."

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Hamilton will get his time without a doubt.
    exactly. I think we are all excited for him, but Ryan Freel is the Reds center fielder this season. I am glad about that. There will be plenty of days for Josh to play.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Honestly I'd rather have Hamilton lead off than Phillips.
    Given a choice between those two I'd have Phillips leading off every single game.

But that just shows you the pitiful choices the Reds have for the leadoff spot in the event Freel is not playing.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

No thanks he had a good spring but I wouldn't put him in the starting lineup. How many minor league games did he even play in before the drug problem?
    Most Vottomatic Player

We all love Josh Hamilton, but he has to prove he can hit before he starts everyday, much less leads off.

If Freel gets hurt, neither Phillips or Hamilton should lead off. Hatteberg should.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    No thanks he had a good spring but I wouldn't put him in the starting lineup. How many minor league games did he even play in before the drug problem?
    why does that matter if he can get it done?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    why does that matter if he can get it done?
    How does anyone know he can get it done?

For some odd reason, my gut tells me Freel's done better in the past when he plays 3-4 times a week. When he plays for an extended period, he doesn't seem to do as well.

Guess I should look at the stats, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    How does anyone know he can get it done?
    I guess they need to find out don't they? The only way to do that is to let him play when he gets better. I wouldn't give him the start, but I would play him as much as possible, which is exactly what the Reds are going to do.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This is a serious question.....it may not sound it though.

When a recovering drug addict is sick, and needs medicine, do they risk the chance of relapse because of the prescribed drugs (moreso than normal)?

Kinda scary, if true.

Don Gullett needed a year in Sioux Falls.

Dave Winfield went straight to San Diego.

Maybe he doesn't need the "development".

If Matt Murton doesn't have an out-of-body experience diving after that sinking line drive, our rose-colored glass of Josh Hamilton would get more red and we'd be happy for the kid.

Again, he'll get his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    This is a serious question.....it may not sound it though.

When a recovering drug addict is sick, and needs medicine, do they risk the chance of relapse because of the prescribed drugs (moreso than normal)?

Kinda scary, if true.
    It's part of your medical history and a good doctor would "figure out" the best way to handle that.

If it's viral, he's not getting anything - you have to have it run the course.

Turn Off Ads?