Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No offense, but what is with the apathy in Cincinnati for the Reds?

GOREDSGO32

No offense, but what is with the apathy in Cincinnati for the Reds?

I'm probably going to get bashed or whatever, but oh well, I thought I would say it. I live in Louisville, and we do pretty darn good for a minor league town. Not the early days of the Redbirds or anything which were the first minor league team to draw over 1,000,000 in a season, but its pretty solid considering the current state of baseball - the Bats are always tops or near tops in attendence in the minor leagues.

What I don't understand is why the Reds recieve so much apathy in Cincinnati? Is the the distrust of the ownership over the years with a lot of broken promises (a billionare owner who wouldn't spend a penny to create a solid team), very bad payroll decisions (Eric Milton), and the expectation that the new stadium was supposed to bring in a new era, only for the team to be horrible the stadium's inaugural year?

What I point at is 42,000 strong opening day, which is always a sellout for practically every team ... but why did the attendence drop from that to around 25,000 the next two games? The Cubs usually always bring a string contingent to Cincy games also. so I'm not understanding what the deal is.

Last year before the great West Coast collapse when the Reds were 66-60, that win over Houston, only 22,000 fans showed up for that with the team currently in a playoff spot. The last game of the year last year only drew a little over 16,000, granted the Reds were dead to rights at that point pretty much, but comeon ... the last game of the year there and no one cared?

The "other" team there, the Bengals, meanwhile sold out past capacity on every game according to figures, despite finishing the season almost the exact same way the Reds did - missing the playoffs by a little and with about the same record. I can understand the NFL is more popular than MLB nowadays, but Cincinnati has typically been a baseball city yet there seems to be more support for traditionally one of the worst NFL franchises in history. Why?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No offense, but what is with the apathy in Cincinnati for the Reds?

The big difference is the Bengals had the talent to win and SHOULD have won much more than they did. Instead the snatched defeat from the jaws of victory over and over. Also, there are only 8 NFL games in Cincy compared to 81 MLB games.

The Reds have been in contention at the break quite a few times lately but they either fall apart or trade everyone away. And it seemed when they did get a good crowd they would lose the game. The team was just consistently inconsistent. It was hard to really believe in them.
    Last edited by adampad; 04-06-2007 at 05:06 PM.

GOREDSGO32

I'm not a Bengals fan, but I laugh at that fact. Half the team was in jail by the time the season started. I know the NFL is more popular, and with only 8 games, its easy for any city to support a team for 8 days of the year, compared to 81, but the Reds should and have gotten more support in the past with similar teams as the Bengals. Not 100% sellout or anything, no one in MLB pulls that off except an elite group of teams with rabid fanbases, but I don't see why the Reds can't pull around 30,000 plus at least every game.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

This year... bone chillin' COLD for the first week after OD. We'll see if the attendance breaks 12K each game this weekend...:
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-12
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    This year... bone chillin' COLD for the first week after OD. We'll see if the attendance breaks 12K each game this weekend...:
    That's what I was thinking too. It's just plain cold.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    52k paid atendance at Yankee Stadium yesterday, and it was FREEZING.

Now, I know that:

1) NYC has way more people
    2) Not all of those 52k went to the game.

But the cold doesn't bother people out here as much as it seems to in Ohio. There's really no excuse for the paltry attendance numbers that come out of Cincy each year.

Last season, it was all "wait until the kids are out of school." Then down the stretch, Bob had to slash prices to get people in the ballpark.

I realize that many people on here go to many games each season (and I even fly out for a series each year and hit all 3 games) but the excuses are pathetic for most fans.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

Then down the stretch, Bob had to slash prices to get people in the ballpark.
    And it didn't work. People still didn't go to the games. He basically gave away tickets last year and begged folks to come, and they would not come, not even to watch a team in the thick of a pennant race. I realize the 2006 Reds were not the best team ever, but they were in the middle of the race.

I thought it was really embarrasing, especially when people still call this a baseball town. I don't think it is any longer, it's a city with a great baseball history. This was discussed thoroughly in a great thread a while back.

I grew up with the BRM, and was 9 when the BRM Reds first went to the World Series, in 1970. That stretch of 9 years (1970-1979) was truly magical, one of a kind. But I also think that, in a way, it ruined most of those fans, spoiled them, for the rest of their lives. A lot of them will no longer watch because this generations teams do not compare. Not everyone feels this way; obviously I do not, and neither do the other die-hards here @ RZ.

Add that to the pace of the game, which doesn't coincide well with today's hyperkinetc world. Although baseball benefitted early from TV, it doesn't play well at all on the tube, and football and even basketball are much better "TV shows" than the grand old game is.

I really wish folks would pack the park and watch the Reds. What I've said above just scratches the surface; there are as many reasons that folks don't go as there are people. I also think that a part of it is that, in many ways, our city is dying; and it gets reflected in it's sports teams. My friends and I debate this long and hard. The other regional cities are either catching up or flying right by us. When I was 20, Indianapolis was a nice little place, and Cleveland was a joke. Both have flown right by Cincinnati as places to be. Louisville also is a very exciting, vibrant place, compared to us. I don't have the answers to why it's happening, but I do know that the folks who run the county and the city are all afraid of change, all of them are afraid of progress.

My wife says it's time to eat dinner, and it's just as well that I get off the soapbox and end this rant right now...

Man Pills

There are myriad theories for poor attendance; I'll stick with Ockham: crappy teams breed small crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    There are myriad theories for poor attendance; I'll stick with Ockham: crappy teams breed small crowds.

Indeed.

Especially the marginal fans.

Freaks like RedsZoners will be there come hell or high water.

The 'Nati has a mutant shortage, that's all.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

redsgabp

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    I'm probably going to get bashed or whatever, but oh well, I thought I would say it. I live in Louisville, and we do pretty darn good for a minor league town. Not the early days of the Redbirds or anything which were the first minor league team to draw over 1,000,000 in a season, but its pretty solid considering the current state of baseball - the Bats are always tops or near tops in attendence in the minor leagues.

What I don't understand is why the Reds recieve so much apathy in Cincinnati? Is the the distrust of the ownership over the years with a lot of broken promises (a billionare owner who wouldn't spend a penny to create a solid team), very bad payroll decisions (Eric Milton), and the expectation that the new stadium was supposed to bring in a new era, only for the team to be horrible the stadium's inaugural year?

What I point at is 42,000 strong opening day, which is always a sellout for practically every team ... but why did the attendence drop from that to around 25,000 the next two games? The Cubs usually always bring a string contingent to Cincy games also. so I'm not understanding what the deal is.

Last year before the great West Coast collapse when the Reds were 66-60, that win over Houston, only 22,000 fans showed up for that with the team currently in a playoff spot. The last game of the year last year only drew a little over 16,000, granted the Reds were dead to rights at that point pretty much, but comeon ... the last game of the year there and no one cared?

The "other" team there, the Bengals, meanwhile sold out past capacity on every game according to figures, despite finishing the season almost the exact same way the Reds did - missing the playoffs by a little and with about the same record. I can understand the NFL is more popular than MLB nowadays, but Cincinnati has typically been a baseball city yet there seems to be more support for traditionally one of the worst NFL franchises in history. Why?
    I hope I don't get negative points for this but, my god are you slow or something?

The reds could go 50-112 and draw 42k for the next years opening day.

You ask why the attendance drop off from opening day?
    1) It's opening day!
    2) how does a 40 degree temperature swing sound.

I don't know how many people you expect to go to a baseball game when it's snowing.

I bought tickets and went down on thursday, because I had sold mine for thursday.

If anything a 25k crowd in freezing conditions, show that attendance should be good this year.
    --------------------------------------------------
    And you want to bring the bengals into this?

The Bengals have 8 home games.
    The Reds have 81 home games.

The bengals play in winter conditions and the fans know that and are ready for the conditions.

If you remember the bengals didn't always sellout the last few seasons.
    A few years back CH 12 WKRC bought up the tickets so that they could broadcast the bengals game on tv.

The bengals had to show that they could win before the "fans"
    (if you call them that)
    came back to watch the games.

The biggest problem the Reds have had has been ownership.
    Carl Lindner has set us back 10 years.

I'm just speaking for myself, but I feel betrayed by Allen and Lindner lying for years that they were going to build a contender for 2003 when they had no intention of doing so.

Cast came in and talked a big talk. He'll be at least a slight improvement, but the jury is still out. He did raise payroll, but the owners have had a huge cash infusion. While I enjoy following them as a fan, frankly, the product was mediocre last year (sub-500) and I really wasn't jazzed about what they did in the offseason to improve.

Couple that with the fact that Edwin E is the only really exciting young player they've brought up in years, and the crappy way they treated Larkin and they are going to have to start winning again to get me to bring my family back. It's not even the money. It's the time. If you buy a ticket in advance, you go through all the hassle to get there and then you might end up seeing Milton or someone like Michelik start the game.. That's the most depressing feeling, when you buy tickets in advance and then you find out a stinker is scheduled to start the game. Doesn't make for an entertaining Saturday afternoon.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I thought it was really embarrasing, especially when people still call this a baseball town. I don't think it is any longer, it's a city with a great baseball history.
    And I think Allen and Lindner have a lot to do with killing the city's enthusiasm. After so many years of false promises and penny pinching, it's going to take more than a .500 team that is in "contention" only due to everyone else stinking to get people excited.

I do think it was a great gesture for Cast to cut ticket prices and his other promotions. That was quite generous. But it's going to take more than that to win people's hearts back.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Indeed.

Especially the marginal fans.

Freaks like RedsZoners will be there come hell or high water.

The 'Nati has a mutant shortage, that's all.

When UC was winning, Cincinnati was a "college basketball town".

When the Big Red Machine was in full force, Cincinnati was a "baseball town".

When the Bengals re-emerged, Cincinnati became a "football town."

When the Reds find themselves back in the NLCS or World Series, Cincinnati will magically become a "baseball town" again.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

redsgabp

Carl Lindner
    Interviewed by Leah Hoffmann 02.14.06
    http://www.forbes.com/2006/02/11/car...214linder.html

QUESTION ASKED: To me, money is...
    Carl Lindner: a medium of exchange that one must learn to use wisely.

Q)My last significant purchase was...
    A)the Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy.

According to the 2006 issue of Forbes Magazine's 400 list, which lists the 400 richest people in America, he was ranked 133 and was worth an estimated $2.3 billion

His cheap butt has cost us years of mediorce seasons.

The Allen/Linder years were very painful for me personally - but not the only reasons.
    Actually, the 1989 season hurt. A lot. It was the first season in my life I did not follow the Reds religiously game-by-game - and it was not so much because of the pathetic performance of the team, but the off-field Pete Rose incident. It took a while to recover from that.
    Yes, '90 helped - but after that, we seemed to have an owner who was more interested in getting her own name in the paper and her own glory rather than the good of the team.
    And finally, having the team owned by one who was more interested in the bottom line and using the Reds as a tax write off did not help one bit.

Turn Off Ads?