Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will have a more productive season?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ken Griffey Jr.

32 57.14%
  • Barry Bonds

24 42.86%

Thread: Bonds or Griffey?

Bonds or Griffey?

I've been watching the Giants - Dodgers game and noticing the way that Bonds plays the outfield and runs the bases and realized I'd seen that before very recently. While Jr. is a few years younger they're both basically at the same place in their careers.

I wonder who will be more valuable to his team this year? I think it's fairly obvious that each is very important to his team making a run at the playoffs this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonds or Griffey?

That was easy.

Bonds.

And I don't think it will be close. Not to say Griffey will be bad, either.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    That was easy.

Bonds.
    Really? I think it depends mostly on which one plays the most games. I think Griffey will play in 130+ this season. I don't think that Bonds will.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

It's really hard to say, but I think it will be Bonds. He's looked pretty decent at the plate in what I've seen so far(I've been watching a lot of his AB's on MLB.tv) and he's obviously going to get on base at a meteoric clip, especially as he gets nearer and nearer the HR mark.

I see Bonds hitting 30 bombs this year and posting a .450 OBP. Griff would need a Herculean season to reach those numbers.

They are both HOFers and all-time greats, but Bonds is a better bet at this stage.

Mind says Bonds heart says Griffey
    Most Vottomatic Player

Griffey. Now if the choice was Bonds + chemicals or Griffey, then I'd have to vote for Bonds + chemicals.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Griffey. Now if the choice was Bonds + chemicals or Griffey, then I'd have to vote for Bonds + chemicals.
    Good point. Bonds is sure to have more trouble with the knees this year w/o the juice. His OBP will be high because pitchers still won't pitch to him, but I think there'll be a drop off in the power numbers. He can still work a count though. Amazing hand-eye.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Are we measuring "productivity" in terms of "number of SportsCenter appearances"?

:all_cohol
    Makes all the routine posts.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Griffey will be lucky to OPS over .850.

Bonds might do that with OBP alone...

All kidding aside, Bonds still gets a ton of IBB, and draws regular BB, and will easily put up an OBP North of .400. He's only had an OBP of under .400 in 5 of his 21 seasons.

Only twice has he put up a SLG South of .450 in those same 21 seasons.

Bonds will OPS .900 without even trying. It will be a struggle for Griffey to realize that same number.

Turn Off Ads?