Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spelling and typos in the baseball forums

Spelling and typos in the baseball forums

Hey guys,

Can we give people a break for misspellings and typos? There are enough debates about baseball opinions without sniping people because they simply misspelled something. It just adds to the clutter and it's unnecessarily mean.
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 04-07-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Edited to include baseball in the title because that's where I see the problem.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spelling and typos - take a deep breath and let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Hey guys,

Can we give people a break for misspellings and typos? There are enough debates about baseball opinions without sniping people because they simply misspelled something. It just adds to the clutter and it's unnecessarily mean.
    I was just busting reds44's britches last night. It was obvious that he typed it hastily; I know he's capable of spelling the word he misspelled; it was just kind of funny to me. I honestly don't give a damn one way or another if people spell things correctly. I don't think for 99% of the posters here, typos matter at all.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Hi FCB.

It wasn't a specific instance. I was catching up on a number of threads this morning and saw a trend. Not directed at anyone.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

This does bring up a question that I've often wondered about: how many people actually read what they just wrote before they hit the submit button?

Sometimes things are readily apparent simply by reading what you wrote before you post it. (shrug) The spelling isn't such a big issue but there are times when people convey something that they don't mean (i.e. writing 'does' instead of 'doesn't'). Or, they simply write something that leaves you scratching your head trying to figure out what the heck they were trying to say.

Rem

P.S. I think I'll post this without prood reading it.

I agree! People who can't spell, type quickly and generally don't give a whit about such matters on an internet forum with total strangers ought to be banned!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

/r/reds

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I'm the person other people ask to spell things because they're too lazy to get up and use the dictionary. I also think that I have fairly decent grammar and I usually double-check my own work before hitting the 'submit' button. That said, there are few things that irk me more than having someone on a message board tell me how to type and enter my messages. Excuse me, but that is anal to the extreme in my opinion. If you feel the need to correct paople's spelling and grammar just ignore the message, because that's what I'd do if you correct me. Maybe they didn't have time to proffread, or maybe they just don't care. Either way, I'm sure they either don't have time or don't care to read the self-appointed editors comments either. (Yes, it was difficult to use 3 eithers in the same sentnece Not that anyone cares, but the people who are careless and lazy and just stumble through life have a much greater chance of outliving the rest of us since they rarely have stress-related diseases such as high blood pressure, acid reflux, etc. I guess next someone will tell us PHLBBBBBBBBBBBTTT!!! : is misspelled. Lighten up, and as TC suggests...breathe in ... breathe out ... breathe in .... breathe out ...

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I still cringe when I read run-on sentences I also don't like the "there their they're" confusion I really don't like false apostrophe's. And sentence fragment's.

Tippos are teh sux.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I don't like Tori Spelling but I like Kelsey Grammer.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Re: Spelling and typos in the baseball forums

Go Gators!

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Hey guys,

I agree. Spelling isn't a big issue. Typos happen all the time not a big deal.

Firefox 2 has active spell-checking.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    There ya go
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    THAT is why 95 percent of words in each of my posts is underlined with red.
    I thought FireFox simply knew I was a Reds fan.

Turn Off Ads?