Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corresponding Roster Move

Reds1990

Corresponding Roster Move

With Uncle Milty getting the start Sunday it looks like Jon Countlangus will go down to Triple A. Now the real questions will begin to surface if Milton gets hammered and as Majewski & Bary get healthy. I'm all for Livingston get a shot at starting. He did however give up four runs in five ininngs in his Louisville debut. I really like what Sanots and Saarloos have given as to start the year. I like how Narron is using them and when he is using them. Now with all that said what happens when Majewski and Bray are ready. I say we swing a deal for Cormeir if we can and Bray replaces him and then we do the same thing with Burton. Give Oakland some kind of compensation and we keep him. Send him to Triple A for some seasoning. Harang, Arroyo, Loshe, Belisle, & Livingston in the rotation. Saarloos, Santos, Majewski, Weathers, Stanton, Bray, & Coffey in the pen. Closer by commitee until Evereyday Eddie is back. I like what I've seen from Stanton, Weathers, & Saarloos so far. Theirs no guarantee Eddie comes back. I think down the road Burton has the stuff to close and not to mention Bailey comes up at some point if Livingston struggles. He's a better option now than Milton. Let's hope the bullepen continues what they are doing. The offense will be their. Love what our 1B platoon is doing so far. GO REDS!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Corresponding Roster Move

Quote Originally Posted by gobucks106 View Post
    With Uncle Milty getting the start Sunday it looks like Jon Countlangus will go down to Triple A. Now the real questions will begin to surface if Milton gets hammered and as Majewski & Bary get healthy. I'm all for Livingston get a shot at starting. He did however give up four runs in five ininngs in his Louisville debut. I really like what Sanots and Saarloos have given as to start the year. I like how Narron is using them and when he is using them. Now with all that said what happens when Majewski and Bray are ready. I say we swing a deal for Cormeir if we can and Bray replaces him and then we do the same thing with Burton. Give Oakland some kind of compensation and we keep him. Send him to Triple A for some seasoning. Harang, Arroyo, Loshe, Belisle, & Livingston in the rotation. Saarloos, Santos, Majewski, Weathers, Stanton, Bray, & Coffey in the pen. Closer by commitee until Evereyday Eddie is back. I like what I've seen from Stanton, Weathers, & Saarloos so far. Theirs no guarantee Eddie comes back. I think down the road Burton has the stuff to close and not to mention Bailey comes up at some point if Livingston struggles. He's a better option now than Milton. Let's hope the bullepen continues what they are doing. The offense will be their. Love what our 1B platoon is doing so far. GO REDS!!!
    It would be a shame to have to send Coutlangus down for Eric Milton. Cout looked good in todays game, and I really think he's ready to contribute at the Major league level. I'm afraid (and I hope I'm wrong, believe me!) that sending Milton out there tomorrow is just throwing in the towel for an automatic loss. The Reds have been so good in the spring and so far in the regular season, that losing feels intolerable. Why not skip Milton and let Arroyo pitch in his regular spot. He has had four days rest. Keep the winning going while we can!
    Last edited by roby; 04-07-2007 at 05:09 PM.

I think Coutlangus goes down until they can dump Cormier.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    It would be a shame to have to send Coutlangus down for Eric Milton. Cout looked good in todays game, and I really think he's ready to contribute at the Major league level. I'm afraid (and I hope I'm wrong, believe me!) that sending Milton out there tomorrow is just throwing in the towel for an automatic loss. The Reds have been so good in the spring and so far in the regular season, that losing feels intolerable. Why not skip Milton and let Arroyo pitch in his regular spot. He has had four days rest. Keep the winning going while we can!
    There seems to be no good reason to send Milton to the mound tomorrow

There's no good reason to send any of the options out there, but someone has to pitch tomorrow. You want a lefty in your rotation if at all possible. I have no problem with giving Milton a few starts to see if he can pitch at a 5th starter level.

If it doesn't work out and Livingston does well in Louisville, then give him a few cracks at it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think Coutlangus goes down until they can dump Cormier.
    Why do I find this post so funny?

I bet Castellini can think of 10.3 million reasons why.

Isn't it nice to actually have a surplus of quality relief pitchers?

Instead of overpaying in a desperate attempt to upgrade the bullpen like we did last year, we have the luxury of selecting from a wide range of good options this year.

Maybe we could upgrade one of our field positions by trading a couple of relievers like Cormier, Stanton or Bray. We could use upgrades at centerfield and first base. We may need a quality starter too if/when Milton falters.

Maybe Votto and Bray to Tampa Bay for Carl Crawford (who is reportedly on the market)? Crawford won't come cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Isn't it nice to actually have a surplus of quality relief pitchers?

Instead of overpaying in a desperate attempt to upgrade the bullpen like we did last year, we have the luxury of selecting from a wide range of good options this year.

Maybe we could upgrade one of our field positions by trading a couple of relievers like Cormier, Stanton or Bray. We could use upgrades at centerfield and first base. We may need a quality starter too if/when Milton falters.

Maybe Votto and Bray to Tampa Bay for Carl Crawford (who is reportedly on the market)? Crawford won't come cheaply.
    That trade would suck for Tampa Bay, you might Cantu for that offering but not Crawford.

Start with Bailey or Cueto for Crawford.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

That seems like a lot to give up for someone that doesn't really address our needs. He's mainly a LF. And he is a left handed hitter.
    Last edited by cacollinsmba; 04-07-2007 at 05:53 PM.
    Xavier University Football - undefeated since 1973

I just tossed Crawford's name out there as an example. I know he would be expensive to acquire, but he is only 25 years old. His contract is pretty cheap for a star player. The Devil Rays salary limit is so low that they are rumored to be shopping him because they don't want to pay him. The Rays will want very good prospects in return. If we can package Votto and/or Jay Bruce to get him then I think we should.

But really Crawford was just an example. Since we have a surplus of quality arms in the bullpen it would make sense to find out what holes we could fill by trading a couple of them.

What holes do we have on the Reds? Help me list them.

1. We need a better centerfielder than could hit leadoff. Freel is decent but would be a better utilityman.

2. We don't have a true #3 hitter -- a guy with high batting average and good power.

3. We need another good starting pitcher (who doesn't?).

4. We need a true Closer for the bullpen. A fireballing strikeout artist.

5. We could use a stud, powerhitting first baseman.

Since we have good players we can't use and we have some valuable prospects, it just makes sense to at least shop around to see what we could get. Right? This is an unfamiliar position for the Reds. It speaks well to Krivsky's efforts to build up the whole system.

1. Freel is fine.

2. Edwin.

3. who doesn't?

4. We aren't the only one's lacking one.

5. We have power elsewhere, but I think we could use another righty bat. I don't have a problem with our 1st base platoon though.

Problem is that Crawford can't really play CF.
    School's out. What did you expect?

what if Milton pitches well? It seems to be a forgone conclusion around here that he's gonna fall on his face but I'd like to see it go the other way. Sometimes I think if he pitches well that there will be a lot of disappointed people around here....strange

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Sometimes I think if he pitches well that there will be a lot of disappointed people around here....strange
    I don't think anyone here would be dissapointed if he pitches well... for the entire season.

People are going to be upset if he turns in a few decent starts and then turns back into Eric Milton when he's established himself in the rotation.

Turn Off Ads?