Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corresponding Roster Move

Re: Corresponding Roster Move

We're in a position right now we haven't been in for years.....more good pitchers than roster spots available. That's a recipe for success.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    We're in a position right now we haven't been in for years.....more good pitchers than roster spots available. That's a recipe for success.
    Yeah and the problem is sending one down that doesnt deserve it !

Has Bailey pitched yet this year. I'm all in favor of skipping Milton and letting Arroyo start. That would buy us a few more days to see how the bullpen shakes out.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    Has Bailey pitched yet this year. I'm all in favor of skipping Milton and letting Arroyo start. That would buy us a few more days to see how the bullpen shakes out.
    He's scheduled to start tomorrow.

With an off day next Thursday, will we skip Milton in the rotation? If not, he's scheduled to pitch Saturday in Chicago when I'm there. I hope we skip him.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    He's scheduled to start tomorrow.
    Awesome. Hopefully its a successful start to the season. We need a 5th starter solution. And Milton isn't it
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    There seems to be no good reason to send Milton to the mound tomorrow
    I guess Narron and the Brain trust think if Milton cannot keep us in the game facing the Pirates....he is done! The Pirates will be lucky to win 70 games this year.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post

I think it is too early in the season to be using Arroyo on short rest, especially when he threw so many pitches in his previous start.

Also there is probably some strategic thinking going on by Narron. Using his pitchers this way, he starts the road trip with one of his aces, and has the one of them to open in the 2nd city and can come back with Arroyo again (with full rest) on either Saturday or Sunday at the end of the trip.

All this said, I hate the thought of probably throwing away a game by starting Milton. And I agree even if he does OK this time and maybe the next, between his knee and his elbow, he probably does not have the stamina to stay in the rotation and be productive. Does anyone have any idea wheher the Reds might have insurance on him which would kick in if his knee or arm breaks down? If so maybe that is what they are hoping for by sending him to the mound.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why do I find this post so funny?
    I think it's freakin hilarious. I'm glad someone else has the pervertedness to find humor in his name. The only thing to make it better would be something like "Coutlangus goes down to take his licks at AAA".
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    what if Milton pitches well? It seems to be a forgone conclusion around here that he's gonna fall on his face but I'd like to see it go the other way. Sometimes I think if he pitches well that there will be a lot of disappointed people around here....strange

Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of butt. Asking Milton to pitch well is like, well hoping the Easter bunny visits tonight and that's not happening.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

"Everybody's Favorite Uncle," as Marty calls him is a problem. He doesn't need to be anywhere near a mound in Great American Ballpark, and I'm surprised they didn't hold him off until the team got out of town. It amazes me that they can hold Edwin Encarnacion in the minors too long because they want to or Austin Kearns because of his attitude, but will rush Eric Milton back up to pitch in the bitter cold when he's recovering from a bad back.

If you've ever had back problems, you'll know that cold weather is your enemy. Now, combining the cold weather with Milton's back problem and then add in the Great American Ballpark, and it just might get ugly tomorrow. And if it does, you might remember that the "brain trust" decided to bring him back tomorrow (today now) which might lead you to wonder if the "brain" in "brain trust" is an accurate description...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?