Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Burton sent to 15-day DL to make room for Milton

Re: Who goes down tomorrow with Milty coming back?

Coutlangus looked great in the spring and today against the Pirates. It better not be him they send down. Cormier needs to be traded.

Burton should also stay. Kid has great stuff - I don't want to lose him. If he proves he isn't ready then work out a trade with the A's that would allow him to be sent to Louisville, but at least give him a couple more chances to prove something.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Coutlangus looked great in the spring and today against the Pirates. It better not be him they send down. Cormier needs to be traded.

Burton should also stay. Kid has great stuff - I don't want to lose him. If he proves he isn't ready then work out a trade with the A's that would allow him to be sent to Louisville, but at least give him a couple more chances to prove something.
    Cormier brings nothing back.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Cormier brings nothing back.
    I don't care. I just want him gone as opposed to Coutlangus or Burton.

got alil captain in u?

coutlangus looked good today and i kno burton is a favorite around here but this a very tough choice for wayne k somebodys not gonan be happy either way

I think it's gonna be Burton or Coutlangus. I don't want to see either of them go, but it comes down to when to you want to be better: Now or in the future? Coutlangus helps us this season, but we lose Burton for the future if we send him out. And I think there's a chance that both Burton and Coutlangus can help us as soon as next season. So if I absolutely have to pick one of them I'd say send Coutlangus down and keep Burton. It's not fair, but hey no body said it was.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 04-07-2007 at 11:48 PM.

It will be Coutlangus.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I just don't understand what's so hard to understand about Milton for this team's management. 9 mil is a hard pill to swallow, but the team has been blazing since the opener. I know I feel very good about them. It's clear every starter in the rotation has been an improvement over Eric Milton. In the end, the team's goal should be to win. They should look at it this way: they paid Milton 9 mil. because they thought he would help them win. Now that it's abundantly clear that everytime he pitches, the game could as well be over before it starts, they should see it that they're paying him 9 mil to leave, which would help them win.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I also want to add that if we lose Burton because of Milton I will be nothing short of livid.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I dislike Eric Milton, but wonder why no-one likes Cormier? He is a good relief pitcher.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    I dislike Eric Milton, but wonder why no-one likes Cormier? He is a good relief pitcher.
    He's below average. He would be more useful if he were a splits guy where he is more effective against lefties. At least then we could spot him. Instead he's more of a 4.50ish ERA guy that can't really be used in any situation where he can be expected to be above average.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I just don't understand what's so hard to understand about Milton for this team's management. 9 mil is a hard pill to swallow, but the team has been blazing since the opener. I know I feel very good about them. It's clear every starter in the rotation has been an improvement over Eric Milton. In the end, the team's goal should be to win. They should look at it this way: they paid Milton 9 mil. because they thought he would help them win. Now that it's abundantly clear that everytime he pitches, the game could as well be over before it starts, they should see it that they're paying him 9 mil to leave, which would help them win.
    This post stands out to me. Are we debating on releasing Eric Milton? That makes me scratch my head. He is owed 9 mil this season. If we release him and no one claims him and Milton becomes a free agent then a team gets to sign him at the minimum and we are on the hook for 9 mil. The team that signs him will likly be one who plays in a pitchers park or lack any starting pitching what so ever. Washington and Yankees (for now) come to mind. With that said.. allow the guy to build somewhat of some value and deal him at the deadline.. because on this club now we don't have a 5th starter.. I think Livingston would be the next in line to take over that role. I know for 2 years that Milton has been here that he has been awful and never met our standards.. but 9 million is a lot to swallow where as half will be paid at the deadline and maybe Eric will be more appealing to a suitor.

As to stay on topic I would like to see a Cormier deal, but I think Coutlangus would get the trip to Louisville.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    This post stands out to me. Are we debating on releasing Eric Milton? That makes me scratch my head. He is owed 9 mil this season. If we release him and no one claims him and Milton becomes a free agent then a team gets to sign him at the minimum and we are on the hook for 9 mil. The team that signs him will likly be one who plays in a pitchers park or lack any starting pitching what so ever. Washington and Yankees (for now) come to mind. With that said.. allow the guy to build somewhat of some value and deal him at the deadline.. because on this club now we don't have a 5th starter.. I think Livingston would be the next in line to take over that role. I know for 2 years that Milton has been here that he has been awful and never met our standards.. but 9 million is a lot to swallow where as half will be paid at the deadline and maybe Eric will be more appealing to a suitor.

The 9 Million is a sunk cost. He's clearly not worth 9M, so his current salary really should not be in the debate for what we do with him. As of right now Milton is not one of the team's best 12 pitchers, so IMO, it makes no sense to continue trotting him out there to gain potential value. The Reds need to cut bait and make sure they don't suffer any further pains of seeing Milton on the mound. The 9 Million will be wasted whether he continues pitching for the Reds or if he is released. Sure there is some chance he gets lucky for a month and the Reds can get a team to take a couple million off our hands, but at this point, there is a better chance he does his usual crap and creates losses. Being in the playoff chase makes it really hard to continue wasting time on a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Being in the playoff chase makes it really hard to continue wasting time on a lost cause.
    Fantastic point!

Getting off to a hot start, and more importantly, playing so many games in the division right out of the gate, means we are smack dab in the middle of a playoff chase. Until eliminated you are always in a playoff chase, but winning these early games are just as important as winning the last few to clinch the title.

Why not win as many as possible now so when we get to the strech, players are banged up and getting tired, etc we have some lead to work with?

No sense frittering away wins now.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    He's below average. He would be more useful if he were a splits guy where he is more effective against lefties. At least then we could spot him. Instead he's more of a 4.50ish ERA guy that can't really be used in any situation where he can be expected to be above average.
    I believe he had the best ERA in the NL when we picked him up last year. I agree he does get a bad wrap on this board. I thought he looked good yesterday. Reds gave him a couple million to keep him so they must see something there. If he is comfortable in his role I see a good year for him if he stays healthy.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Reds obviously have made decision that, for now, Milton is fifth starter and will pitch when fifth starter is needed -- which is not every five days because of off-days and ability to skip fifth starter some times. Nobody else has really been groomed to start right now -- Saarloos and Santos have pitched short stints only; Livingston was sent down for seasoning.

I'm sure Krivsky has considered eating the Milton fixed cost and has decided to give him one more shot in this fifth starter role. Meanwhile, Bailey, Livingston and even Dumatrait could emerge at AAA. By mid-season, with half of Milton's last year gone, moving him will be an easier pill to swallow if he hasn't done well in '07.

After Milton's last two season, I will be joining the groans if he gets lit up today or in his first few outings. Still, if he is healthy and has worked with the new pitching coach (they keep saying he is mixing in more changeups) maybe he will contribute.

As for the cut, the best thing would be if the Reds could work a deal to keep Burton and send him down. Coutlangus seems more ready and, when Bray and ultimately Majewski are ready Burton's presence will create a log jam. Still, the Reds can't just lose Burton at this point so probably Cout goes to AAA. Santos, I think, needs to stay since he can throw two or possibly three innings.

Turn Off Ads?