Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Burton sent to 15-day DL to make room for Milton

Re: Who goes down tomorrow with Milty coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    This post stands out to me. Are we debating on releasing Eric Milton? .... With that said.. allow the guy to build somewhat of some value and deal him at the deadline.. .
    The problem is I don't think Milton is ever going to build value. Last year, before I found out about all the assorted injuries Milton has (bad back in spring training, chronic knee problems), I thought maybe Milton would be tradable this June.

I just don't see it happening now. Milton is that bad. Even though yesterdays start was "ok for Milton", since it wasn't a complete disaster , the bottom line is that he's almost a guaranteed loss.

I'd rather release him or move him to the pen. Put Sarloos in the rotation and move on.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Burton sent to 15-day DL to make room for Milton

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I know people find it hard to believe, but if Eric Milton gave us 30 starts as the "#5 starter", he'd be one of the best #5 starters in baseball. As you consider the effect of injuries, callups, etc. the average #5 starter is abysmal. Redleg Nation did a study in 2005 which showed the average #5 starter had an ERA over 7.00. Of course, this usually isn't in the form of a single pitcher. Rather it's the compilation of bad starts by a lot of guys. The point is, if you can 30 starts of a 5.50 ERA from your 5th spot, it's not something to write home about, but it's a leg up on most of the competition.
    I see your point.

However, this year the Reds have the option of using Sarloos as the 5th starter, and possible Bailey later in the season.

Last year, the Reds really didn't have another body to replace Milton with, so it actually made sense not to release him until they increased their pitching depth in the organization.

This year, we've at least got some pitching depth. Some of it is unknown in quality, but at least we have options, and that is something Wayne deserves credit for, even though I'm not his biggest fan.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Ah, but there's the rub. If it were really easy to find 5 guys with ERA's under 5.00 in the rotation, then more teams would have that. The fact of the matter is it's NOT easy to find those guys. They just aren't out there for the taking. There's this misconception that Milton is replacement level. He's not. Again, I'm not saying he's good, because he clearly isn't. But there is worse out there. We should know. We've gave some of those guys starts last season.

If you think those guys are so common, start rattling off the names of guys and how we should acquire them.
    As I said, there IS a man (Santos) currently on the 25 man roster who is a better starter than Milton (and almost certainly will be going forward because it appears that Milton has now added frequent DL trips to his illustrious resume). Milton of 2005 was replacemnt level (maybe slightly below). The only reason he racked up all those bad stats was because of his price tag. Anyone else would have been sold down the river long before 30+ starts had been accrued with a .900+ OPSA.

I'm just not sure why people think that that +900 OPSA is gone and in the past when by all accounts he's been posting those numbers so far this season and is showing no signs of reversing course.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm for finding a better alternative (for both Milton and Lohse actually), but I don't see any (insert rant about the offseason here).

Santos is more of the same as a starter and seems to be doing very well in the pen. Why screw that up? Same goes for Saarloos (who IMO has potential to be way worse than Milton with just as many HR allowed with more walks and fewer Ks). Why mess up a couple of pleasant surprises in the pen for no better than a wash in the number 5 spot?

Livingston got hit hard in his 1st AAA start and Bailey isn't ready yet. There are no better options at this point and the only reason to make a change would be if some portion of the contract can be moved to save some money. The Reds should be trying hard to move Milton for any $ relief and if successful, Santos and Saarloos should still not be options at this point. Whoever is pitching the best at AAA should probably get the call when the time comes. There will be a time to DFA Milton if his contract can't be moved. That time will be when some one in AAA gets on a roll for a while. Its unfortunate but that isn't happening now.

It sounds funny, but this team has so many needs that I wouldn't mess with the roles of guys doing well right now. Santos would need to pitch worse to get a rotation shot now IMO. If he is pitching well in the pen, he should stay in the pen. He's proven that he isn't a good starter over the last several seasons. Maybe cutting down his repertoire to his best pitches and going all out for an inning or two will lead to him producing drastically better results in that role. It wouldn't be the first time that a failed starter became a good reliever. If that doesn't work out, then go ahead and throw him out there as part of the sacraficial fodder to run through the 5 spot in hopes that some one will hit a good stretch and be better than Milton.

I'd also want to see these guys when weather isn't such a factor before deciding much based on the first week (that includes that guys at AAA and AA).
    I agree with leaving Santos and Saarloos in the pen. These are guys who are not stud prospects ( ala Bailey ) who have had mixed/poor results in the big leagues in the past. If they are doing well in relief then leave them be.

Narron mentioned that for now Weathers is his 9th inning man and Saarloos is his 8th inning man. As long as they keep getting the job done leave them be.

Tell the AAA starters ' if Milton keeps pitching badly then whichever of you is pitching the best in a few weeks gets the call to the bigs'.

Turn Off Ads?