Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New scouting idea I have for pitchers

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

New scouting idea I have for pitchers

Now this would have to be something implemented by the teams of course. I am not sure how many of you have checked out the MLB GameDay this year, but it is a new version and it charts Speed, break of the pitch and shows the delivery of the ball (when it is being used. it was not on for todays Reds game). If teams were to set up the equiptment in the minor league parks (I imagine it takes about 5 cameras from different view points, a radar gun and a computer that is connected to the cameras with a program that can take the data and put together the information). How much would it help scouting pitchers if you could look at the break on his pitches on a computer model? You could compare each curveball with the rest he has thrown. You could tell when the inconsistancies came, then go back and look at the video and maybe pick up the mechanical flaw that caused it. If its a consistant problem, you could then work with the pitcher to attempt to fix it.

Maybe I am thinking to much on this, but I think a system like this would do wonders for both the coaches and the players if it were used in the right way. Anyways, I just wanted to put that out there.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: New scouting idea I have for pitchers

Makes sense. Considering the dollars invested in these kids, it sounds like a no-brainer. I would think, in time, something like this will be implemented.

It would seem that a forward-thinking "Moneyball" organization like Oakland would be one of the first to something like this.

It seems that MLB is a tad slow to adapt technology. There are currently several good software video programs out there that do a very good job in training and for analysis. The frame by frame, side by side, video program by Dartfish is used extensively in golf and some in College Baseball. It has been proven quite valuable in training pitcers. The potential for teaching may be the most compelling reason to adopt one of these systems. The other, and maybe even more important reason, is that the analysis can be used to prevent injuries. Alot of the post Tommy John guys use these systems to help re-train their arms and to ensure proper mechanics. Using the high end technology would be helpful in analyzing potential draft recruits, I'm just not sure that the scouting departments will be as open to change. I'm also not sure we'll get by the history that has brought us scouting by hunches and gut feelings.
    Last edited by fargo55; 04-09-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    It seems that MLB is a tad slow to adapt technology. There are currently several good software video programs out there that do a very good job in training and for analysis. The frame by frame, side by side, video program by Dartfish is used extensively in golf and some in College Baseball. It has been proven quite valuable in training pitcers. The potential for teaching may be the most compelling reason to adopt one of these systems. The other, and maybe even more important reason, is that the analysis can be used to prevent injuries. Alot of the post Tommy John guys use these systems to help re-train their arms and to ensure proper mechanics. Using the high end technology would be helpful in analyzing potential draft recruits, I'm just not sure that the scouting departments will be as open to change. I'm juust not sure we'll get by the history that has brought us scouting by hunches and gut feelings.
    I dont think this would affect scouting at all. HS and college guys still arent going to have this stuff and scouts still have to go out and find the guys and do their jobs, and teams surely wouldnt share their information with other teams, so you still would need advance scouts to scout other teams player. I think this is more in line for finding out why certain curves break more than others that kids are throwing. Then you can go find the video and look for the inconsistancies with the delivery and have the coaches work with them to fix the issue.

You don't want that pitcher thinking too much out on the mound. It is kind of like a golf swing if you try and over think it you will lose it. Just keep it simple and let the catcher do the thinking in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    You don't want that pitcher thinking too much out on the mound. It is kind of like a golf swing if you try and over think it you will lose it. Just keep it simple and let the catcher do the thinking in most cases.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I dont think this would affect scouting at all. HS and college guys still arent going to have this stuff and scouts still have to go out and find the guys and do their jobs, and teams surely wouldnt share their information with other teams, so you still would need advance scouts to scout other teams player. I think this is more in line for finding out why certain curves break more than others that kids are throwing. Then you can go find the video and look for the inconsistancies with the delivery and have the coaches work with them to fix the issue.
    Bingo, but I also want to say this...Add something onto what you mentioned or didn't mention.

Lets say Cincinnati does this first and they only record their own pitchers. I don't mind the scouts seeing the video, but that can also prompt trades for really no reason other than "I think I see his flaw..lets try this." Leave them team exclusive at first.

This allows the pitching coaches to see players flaws in real time, instead of having to break down what he saw in the game a day or two later..perhaps getting something wrong himself. You can visiually show the pitcher how it affected his pitch, location, and break etc.

This can make fringe prospects possibly decent prospects...Think of the possiblities.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Senor Votto

That's a good idea it's probably pretty expensive though but hey it's not like they can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    That's a good idea it's probably pretty expensive though but hey it's not like they can't afford it.
    I figured the cost at about 25-30,000 per stadium to get it installed and running. The Reds use 5 stadiums between the 6 teams (GCL and Sarasota Reds share the same stadium). So we are talking 125-150,000 bucks here, but what it can do in terms of ability to coach and teach guys I think it would be WELL worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I figured the cost at about 25-30,000 per stadium to get it installed and running. The Reds use 5 stadiums between the 6 teams (GCL and Sarasota Reds share the same stadium). So we are talking 125-150,000 bucks here, but what it can do in terms of ability to coach and teach guys I think it would be WELL worth it.
    Getting a player to the majors with a chance to be a stud because you're coaching/scouting indentify problems before they happen..yeah thats well worth the dough.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?