Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Brantley

Jeff Brantley

The Cowboy still needs a lot of polishing on his play by play skills, but I must say I am really enjoying him on Reds radio. He's already giving more insight than anyone I've ever heard on the Reds airways.

Last night he was very critical of Belisle for not being able to get a bunt down and went on to explain why pitchers who cannot get bunts down are afraid of the ball. I thought it was great.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Brantley

I also enhjoyed the bunting conversation. I've liked almsot everything I've heard from him.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

got alil captain in u?

i found him very enjoying today much more than steve stewart but steve kinda grew on me

I think he's doing pretty well.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think the Reds are in good shape in the booth, whether it's Thom or Jeff. Hopefully, Marty will get along with both of them
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

He could def. use a few credit hours at the Caveat Emperor school of pbp, but I like the color he brings to the booth. He and Marty have a good thing going. Listening to Marty rag on him for his expensive sunglasses and for sleeping too much today was radio gold.

I have been very impressed with Jeff Brantley so far. He know a LOT about baseball but he doesn't come across as a know-it-all. He doesn't kiss Marty's butt like Stewart did. I thought Stewart was actually afraid of Marty -- intimidation isn't a strong enough word.

Bringing in Brantley and Thom was a great move by Castellini and is another example of how the new regime is light years superior to the Lindner era.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

JB has been better than i expected, the radio broadcasts are much better this year (thus far) than last.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I like what I've heard of Brantley so far. I may not agree with everything he says, but he brings a lot of insight that has not been a part of the broadcast for a while and he can be critical without sounding disdainful.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I've enjoyed Jeff a lot. He knows a lot about the game and shares insights you don't hear from anyone else.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've heard from him. I also like that he stands up to Marty's sarcasm well. I get the feeling that ESPN had quite a bit of creative control. There's a reason why guys like John Kruk and Steve Phillips have been there for a while...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think he's doing well. He is very good as an analyst. For those critical of his play by play skills, you need to remember that he's just had ST and this week to be a play by play guy. He's not going to be great right out of the box. Of course his partner would do well to remember that when analyzing young players.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

People act like this is Jeff's first job following his playing career when they say things like he "still needs some seasoning." I think a 5-year career at ESPN was pretty good training (or maybe it was even longer than that). He did Baseball Tonight, and announced games on ESPN. I think he's overqualified for this job if anything. He definitely doesn't need any seasoning. Brantley has been excellent and I just hope he keeps his candor... and I have no doubt he will. He's very knowledgeable and isn't afraid to "shoot from the hip" ... Hey, what else would we expect from a Cowboy?

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

I think he is a perfect example of why you need a former player in the booth. Like today when Armas walked Dunn in Dunn's second at bat, Brantley immediately said "scared." That one word was all that was needed but it was a word that a PbP guy could never get away with but Brantley who has been out there playing the game can say that type of thing. It was quite refreshing.

Brantley is much better than he was in Spring Training, and even if he has problems with play by play he still brings so much pitching information into the booth its unbelievable. I love the insights he gives and I learn something new every time he talks.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Turn Off Ads?