Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stunning statistic

The Red's bullpen through 5 games (4-1)
    13 Innings Pitched
    4 Hits
    0 Runs
    13 K's
    4 BB's (note: 3 from major league debut Burton)

How long will this perfection last? I've been stunned by this pitching staff, who's going to leave when Guardado, Bray and Majewski return..?

Re: Stunning statistic

Hopefully they can keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.MojoRisin View Post
    Hopefully they can keep it up.
    Only roughly 500 more innings to go....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It's always about the bullpen. If I were to build a baseball team, this would be the part with which I would be most obsessed.

I don't think the Reds' is there yet, but the (small sample size) stats make me pretty giddy anyway.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Senor Votto

Burton will probably one of them to leave

If our bullpen ERA is under 3.5 at the All-Star break....we will be in 1st place.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    If our bullpen ERA is under 3.5 at the All-Star break....we will be in 1st place.
    Sure will be. That would be amazing to have a bullpen that strong.

Anyone have any theories as to why they are pitching so well? Cold weather? Pitching coach? Depth? I have no idea.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Anyone have any theories as to why they are pitching so well? Cold weather? Pitching coach? Depth? I have no idea.
    I like to believe it was Dick

Cold weather, impatient opponents, small sample size, and maybe, on a good day, with a fair wind, a bit of talent.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Cold weather, impatient opponents, small sample size, and maybe, on a good day, with a fair wind, a bit of talent.
    Got to agree here. They are pitching over their heads, IMO.

If they are still looking strong in June, I'll be buying this bullpen.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Perhaps it also helps to play against the two teams with the worst records in the NL during the 2006 season. Things change from year to year, but Pittsburgh (67-95) and Chicago (66-96) were the worst in the NL last year. The next closest to them in 2006 was Washington (71-91)... 4 games better.

sample size.... take a look:

13 IP; BABIP: .133; GB%: 68%; k9: 9; ERA: 0.00; FIP: 2.42;

Is there ANY reason to expect that Saarloos, Weathers, Coffey, Stanton, Santos, Courmier, Coutlangus, and Burton can collectively keep performing anywhere close to this? Short answer...no, not even a bullpen made up of Jesus, Superman, and Alan Greenspan could do that for very long....
    Last edited by jojo; 04-07-2007 at 10:44 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think one thing that helps is depth. Our guys come in the game knowing they have one or two batters to get out, not one or two innings like it was last year with Coffey and Stormy.

We have 19 games pitched in by our bullpen so far for 13 innings pitched. That's what I like seeing. JN is using our bullpen correctly because we have the different pieces to put in there.

Last year we were forced to use guys in situations that they were guaranteed to not succeed in. Bray pitching a couple innings, or Cormier against RH and LH'ers.

If our starters keep logging 6+ innings, our pen stays fresh.

If our pen stays fresh, the improved arms can continue to show their strength.

If the pen stays strong, we stay where we are in standings!!!

Having pitching strength ROCKS!!!!

Turn Off Ads?