Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Trade Idea

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,758

    Trade Idea

    Got a trade idea I wanted to run past you guys. What do you think of this?

    Mark Teixeira and Akinori Otsuka for Scott Hatteburg, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto, Rheal Cormier, Chris Dickerson.

    Texas can't pay Teix after this year and have Gagne to close. They are also not really contenders for this year. So this gets them a nice young replacement for Teix in Votto, a top end SP spect in Cueto and a couple of guys to help out right now.

    It gives us the big 1B bat we need to really make this offense go. We can put Teix at 1B and bat him 3rd behind Dunn and in front of Junior and just watch this offense go. And we get the closer we badly need.

    Think this has any prayer of working for Texas, since Teix is not going to resign there?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,917

    Re: Trade Idea

    I don't like the idea of trading 3 of our best prospects in one swoop.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  4. #3
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: Trade Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    They are also not really contenders for this year.
    The AL West is wide open this year.... every team in the division can make a case for their chances... Texas isn't going to trade the now for the future IMHO...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  5. #4
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Trade Idea

    Why trade our toughest out and a guy who could very easily be better than Teixera, and also our second best pitching prospect whose stuff is just flat ouy sick, the fastest guy in our minors, and Frenchie (I agree with that one). I wouldnt even consider this trade.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  6. #5
    Porkchop Sandwiches DoogMinAmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Homebase, Ohio
    Posts
    2,540

    Re: Trade Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Why trade our toughest out and a guy who could very easily be better than Teixera, and also our second best pitching prospect whose stuff is just flat ouy sick, the fastest guy in our minors, and Frenchie (I agree with that one). I wouldnt even consider this trade.
    Oddly though, I didn't think Texas was getting enough. If they really feel like they can not resign him this offseason, Texas will get a killing at the deadline for Texiera alone. Think Giles to San Diego-type return.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

    Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,729

    Re: Trade Idea

    thats a lousy trade in my opinion.. a 3/4 year rental of Teixeira as he will be a free agent and get alot more than the Reds will give him and we loose 3 top prospects.. NO THANKS!!

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: Trade Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    thats a lousy trade in my opinion.. a 3/4 year rental of Teixeira as he will be a free agent and get alot more than the Reds will give him and we loose 3 top prospects.. NO THANKS!!
    I would do it, only if we resigned Teixiera. The BP would LIGHTS OUT with Otsuka and we'd get an enormous upgrade on offense with Tex.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: Trade Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Why trade our toughest out and a guy who could very easily be better than Teixera, and also our second best pitching prospect whose stuff is just flat ouy sick, the fastest guy in our minors, and Frenchie (I agree with that one). I wouldnt even consider this trade.
    I definitely didn't consider this as a possible reaction.

    Votto might be better than Teix, but he is a minor leaguer and clearly a risk. He also is a left handed bat on a team stacked with left handed bats, while Teix is a switch hitter. Plus Teix is ready right now and IMO, this deal fills our two biggest holes on this team.

    Cueto hurts to give up, but you have to give up something and he is the riskiest commodity in baseball, a pitching prospect. Quite frankly, I wasn't really all that worried about losing anyone else in the deal.

    I also wasn't worried personally about resigning Teix. We don't have anyone else up for contract at the end of the season and I believe in this ownership. They would keep him here.

  10. #9
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Trade Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Got a trade idea I wanted to run past you guys. What do you think of this?

    Mark Teixeira and Akinori Otsuka for Scott Hatteburg, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto, Rheal Cormier, Chris Dickerson.

    Texas can't pay Teix after this year and have Gagne to close. They are also not really contenders for this year. So this gets them a nice young replacement for Teix in Votto, a top end SP spect in Cueto and a couple of guys to help out right now.

    It gives us the big 1B bat we need to really make this offense go. We can put Teix at 1B and bat him 3rd behind Dunn and in front of Junior and just watch this offense go. And we get the closer we badly need.

    Think this has any prayer of working for Texas, since Teix is not going to resign there?
    Texas will re-sign Teixeira.

    If, and that's a big if, Texas were to shop him, it would take a lot more than Joey Votto or Johnny Cueto.

    We're talking Homer Bailey. That's the name it would take to be in the same conversation as Mark Teixeira.

    Anything less, and you're kidding yourself.

  11. #10
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Trade Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Texas will re-sign Teixeira.

    If, and that's a big if, Texas were to shop him, it would take a lot more than Joey Votto or Johnny Cueto.

    We're talking Homer Bailey. That's the name it would take to be in the same conversation as Mark Teixeira.

    Anything less, and you're kidding yourself.
    Agreed..........Teixeira being a SH increases his value incredibly. Not too many SH that are as young and powerful as him.

  12. #11
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: Trade Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Agreed..........Teixeira being a SH increases his value incredibly. Not too many SH that are as young and powerful as him.
    If the Rangers were willing to be insane with Young's extension, they're good bets to do a smart contract extension with Teixeira,,,,
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  13. #12
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in tornado alley
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Trade Idea

    no way texas would even consider this deal/ And seriously people who would not do this as a reds fan? A REAL closer for the first time in ages and a power bat to play first. All for a couple of prospects and bullpen filler. That deal alone would get WK his exec of the year award. Also with Milton coming off the books at the years end we will have an additional 9 million to put toward texeira's contract extension. Any pitching prospect is going to be the high risk element of the deal. Cuteo does look nice but 2 PROVEN major league talents for a top 30 prospect, top 75 prospect and, a 38 year old 1B that can o nly hit RH pitching? seems like a no brainer to me...

    to WK making a monster trade in the near future (that helps this team this time haha)
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25