Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doing the little things

Doing the little things

I've never said this before, but after these few games, the Reds are doing the little things right. I know this isn't something that lasts forever, but it is nice to see so far.

Good plays (that I can think of):
    8 SB's, 0 CS. Has anyone been out on the bases? (one now that I think of it: Freel when the throw got by Lee, but Lee had a 1 in a million bounce back for the throw)
    Edwin and Dunn both taking extra bases when the defense wasn't paying attention (EdE went to third on Griffey's infield hit when no one was at 3rd and Dunn turned a walk into a two bagger)
    Sacrifice bunts from our pitchers! Lohse, Harang, and Arroyo very good at it so far (one bad from MB)
    Harang's defense (cat like off the mound... )
    The Reds have only a few errors, and all but one is a base error only, not costing them outs.

Things our opponents have done that the Reds haven't:
    Get caught stealing a few times (Cubs)
    Run into unnecessary tag out on grounder to 3rd (Theriot I think)
    Missing easy outs (Bay, Nady, Wilson...today alone)
    Have our most important hitters absolutely flail at bad pitches (Lee and Soriano)
    Bullpen give up game (Cubs)

We are definitely on the smiling side of the boneheaded play category.

The only bad plays I can think of are: Ross (idiot play of the year probably, even after all 162), Dunn E, Freel E, Griffey misplaying a couple grounders to him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Doing the little things

Reds batters have 25 walks.
    Opposing batters have 12 walks.

Hopefully we can remain on the good side of these stats after Miltons start tomorrow.

MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Hopefully we can remain on the good side of these stats after Miltons start tomorrow.
    I'm weary of the "Sunday Special". I could see Castro, Hamilton and maybe even Moeller in there.
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

I will add the Ross sac fly to add another run on the board on Friday night. It seems like situations like this is where the Reds have been known to strikeout/pop out (anything but getting the runner in from 3rd with less than 2 outs). Very early still, but lots of reasons to be optimistic imo.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I've never said this before, but after these few games, the Reds are doing the little things right. I know this isn't something that lasts forever, but it is nice to see so far.

Good plays (that I can think of):
    8 SB's, 0 CS. Has anyone been out on the bases? (one now that I think of it: Freel when the throw got by Lee, but Lee had a 1 in a million bounce back for the throw)
    Edwin and Dunn both taking extra bases when the defense wasn't paying attention (EdE went to third on Griffey's infield hit when no one was at 3rd and Dunn turned a walk into a two bagger)
    Sacrifice bunts from our pitchers! Lohse, Harang, and Arroyo very good at it so far (one bad from MB)
    Harang's defense (cat like off the mound... )
    The Reds have only a few errors, and all but one is a base error only, not costing them outs.

Things our opponents have done that the Reds haven't:
    Get caught stealing a few times (Cubs)
    Run into unnecessary tag out on grounder to 3rd (Theriot I think)
    Missing easy outs (Bay, Nady, Wilson...today alone)
    Have our most important hitters absolutely flail at bad pitches (Lee and Soriano)
    Bullpen give up game (Cubs)

We are definitely on the smiling side of the boneheaded play category.

The only bad plays I can think of are: Ross (idiot play of the year probably, even after all 162), Dunn E, Freel E, Griffey misplaying a couple grounders to him.
    Very good post. The Reds have been doing very good in all aspects of the game thus far. The starting rotation has been doing good, the offense is good, defense is better than last years, and the bullpen has stepped it up big time. This might be the year of the Reds if they continue to do what they're doing.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Edwin and Dunn both taking extra bases when the defense wasn't paying attention
    Adam hasn't hustled out of the box twice this week. 1 ended up being a single that could've turned into a double. Another one was his HR yesterday where I'm not sure if he thought he got it all or was just a regular fly ball. Either way, he needs to learn to get out of the box better. Adam's 1st week was good for a Dunn hater like me, but a little thing like that annoys me about a lot of guys, not just Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Adam hasn't hustled out of the box twice this week. 1 ended up being a single that could've turned into a double. Another one was his HR yesterday where I'm not sure if he thought he got it all or was just a regular fly ball. Either way, he needs to learn to get out of the box better. Adam's 1st week was good for a Dunn hater like me, but a little thing like that annoys me about a lot of guys, not just Adam.
    Happy Easter to you too!!!!!!!!!!!
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Do the 'Dunn haters' not realize that we would have probably lost the game yesterday if it wasn't for Dunn. And we would've won opening day 2-1 if it wasn't for Dunn
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by Marge'sMullet View Post
    I'm weary of the "Sunday Special". I could see Castro, Hamilton and maybe even Moeller in there.
    I was stunned to see the posted lineup is the full starting 8!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    WOW!

Remember the old Riverfront Stadium Animation?

WALKS WILL HAUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep, that's the big stat.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ED44 View Post
    I will add the Ross sac fly to add another run on the board on Friday night. It seems like situations like this is where the Reds have been known to strikeout/pop out (anything but getting the runner in from 3rd with less than 2 outs). Very early still, but lots of reasons to be optimistic imo.
    But there were several sac opportunities in these first five games that weren't taken advantage of... Ross was one of them that couldn't get it done previously.

I believe twice there was a guy on third with 0 or 1 outs and he was still standing there when the inning ended... Freel and Conine maybe?

PS - I'm not being picky; just wanted to point out that sac flies are not always that easy to get, so I don't consider actually getting one a "doing the little things right"... often it's flat out luck that the batter got a healthy piece of the ball.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 04-08-2007 at 12:35 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

This is a rushed post so it probably woln't come out right.

But the Reds seem to be doing a lot of the "little things" but not the traditional things that most people think of (and usually have little or in some cases a negative effect) when they think "the little things".

As people have pointed out, lots of patience at the plate. Even Gonzo has been drawing walks. Lot's of first and second pitch strikes from the pitching staff. Consequently not many walks issued thus far. I don't even think they've hit a batter as yet. This is all from memory so I may be off here.

While they have been stealing some bases, far more importantly, they haven't been getting caught. Even streching out extra bases I don't recall any really sloppy mistakes resulting in getting thrown out thus erasing the baserunner.

One play that stood out as a HUGE "little thing" from yesterday. Edwin had to make a long throw after an akward hop. He one hopped it to Hatte, but it was on line and Hatte was able to do something with it and got the out.

So, I agree they are doing the little things. The little things that actually matter in the long run.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    This is a rushed post so it probably woln't come out right.

But the Reds seem to be doing a lot of the "little things" but not the traditional things that most people think of (and usually have little or in some cases a negative effect) when they think "the little things".

As people have pointed out, lots of patience at the plate. Even Gonzo has been drawing walks. Lot's of first and second pitch strikes from the pitching staff. Consequently not many walks issued thus far. I don't even think they've hit a batter as yet. This is all from memory so I may be off here.

While they have been stealing some bases, far more importantly, they haven't been getting caught. Even streching out extra bases I don't recall any really sloppy mistakes resulting in getting thrown out thus erasing the baserunner.

One play that stood out as a HUGE "little thing" from yesterday. Edwin had to make a long throw after an akward hop. He one hopped it to Hatte, but it was on line and Hatte was able to do something with it and got the out.

So, I agree they are doing the little things. The little things that actually matter in the long run.
    So in other words, the "little things" that add up to a number being added in the W column?

Turn Off Ads?