Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carpenter Scratched

Carpenter Scratched

Breaking News: Strauss reports Carpenter scratched

Joe Strauss is reporting that the Cardinals have scratched their ace righthander from Tuesday's start in Pittsburgh.

Carpenter told Strauss that he was returning to St. Louis for an MRI examination of his ailing right elbow, but the Cardinals would not confirm that before the game.

Carpenter had a long-toss session Friday with no problems, and followed that up by pitching off the mound on Saturday in a pregame bullpen session at Minute Maid Park. Carpenter threw all his pitches and at game-conditon velocity on Saturday, and expressed confidence that he'd be able to make his scheduled start in Pittsburgh.

But Carpenter's elbow flared up overnight, and he expects that he'll undergo more thorough testing in an effort to determine the exact nature of the problem.

It appears that rookie Blake Hawksworth will be called up from Class AAA Memphis to make the Tuesday start -- but nothing official on that.

We will try to get Joe's story online ASAP, but I will also post it here in the forum and on Cards Talk. He is writing it now, which is why I am passing along the info.
    STLtoday.com: Sports - Forums - Cards Talk - Topic - Breaking News: Strauss reports Carpenter scratched

2. Turn Off Ads?
    redsgabp

Re: Carpenter Scratched

i don't want carp to be hurt but i sure wouldn't mind if he was on the dl for the rest of the year

the cardinals without carp would be done for the season.

I don't understand the way these medical things are handled. Tens of Millions of dollars are invested in individual players, but there seems to be a reluctance to do an MRI without waiting when something like this occurs.

Is it to save money? I'd think if my big dollar ace was feeling elbow soreness that was abnormal enough for him to mention it, I'd do the MRI before allowing any long toss or anything else. If nothing else, I'd want to compare images as the situation develops.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Figured I'd give an update (sorta):

Bigs or AAA? 'Bird will know soon
    By Jim Masilak
    April 9, 2007

One way or another, today promises to be a landmark day in the life of Redbirds right-hander Blake Hawksworth. The 24-year-old will either make his Triple-A debut tonight at AutoZone Park against New Orleans or join the St. Louis Cardinals in Pittsburgh and make a spot start

Hawksworth said of a possible big-league call-up. "If something like that came to happen, that's when I'd think about it. All I've been thinking about is that I'm getting ready for my first Triple-A start."

In the meantime, a few feet down the hall in the Redbirds' clubhouse, Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty met with the Memphis managerial staff to discuss the club's options.

The North Vancouver, B.C., native is tentatively set to make his Memphis debut against the Zephyrs tonight on nine days' rest. Hawksworth hasn't pitched since March 30, when he threw five impressive and scoreless innings in an exhibition game against the Cardinals at AutoZone Park.

[More in URL]

Sounds like it'll be him. I've wanted to see him get a chance anyways, but not this way.. Talk that Carp may need bone spur surgery and be out 4-6 weeks.. that's just hearsay right now til stuff is official!

Well I guess I'll have to take him out of my fantasy line up for this week.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't understand the way these medical things are handled. Tens of Millions of dollars are invested in individual players, but there seems to be a reluctance to do an MRI without waiting when something like this occurs.

Is it to save money? I'd think if my big dollar ace was feeling elbow soreness that was abnormal enough for him to mention it, I'd do the MRI before allowing any long toss or anything else. If nothing else, I'd want to compare images as the situation develops.
    I've often wondered the exact same thing. It's almost as if they wait until after the arm has exploded and then think, "we'll it's time for an MRI". With that sort of money invested, and the relatively small expence of an MRI, I'd almost have my big arms MRI'd after every start just to keep an eye on things.

I wonder if there is some clasue in the CBA that prohibits "excessive medical testing" or some other claptrap like that. That, or somehow, it's medically sound to not MRI people too many times.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I'm glad he's not pitching bad for Cards good for rest of the Central
    Most Vottomatic Player

Turn Off Ads?