Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey's lack of hustle

Griffey's lack of hustle

Any thoughts on Ken Griffey, Jr.'s long single off the top of the left field wall today?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey's lack of hustle

I figured someone would ask about this. He thought it was out, he did his HR walk, then realized it was off the wall, sprinted, but realized it was too late. I dont blame him for doing his signature HR walk, he thought it was out, as did a lot of people, including me.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Any thoughts on Ken Griffey, Jr.'s long single off the top of the left field wall today?
    It was either a homerun or it was caught. Even Dunn staled at third. Edwin about ran him over. No one thought it was a double off the wall but Edwin, who was probably thinking "Theres a heater in the dug-out. Run, Dunn, Run!"
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

For a Level Playing Field

I guess it can be called lack of hustle, but I don't see it that way. By the way Junior left the batter's box it seemed that he thought it was a HR. He was giving it the trot. When it hit the wall the LF got it immediately on the carom. By then it was too late to go for a double. Not a good thing, but still a 2R single when the bats were dormant prior to that. I hope he pays in the kangaroo court and moves on from there. I hope the REDS fans move on too and realize that Griffey misjudged it. Run until it clears the wall, Junior, but considering you still scored later I won't hold a grudge.

I remember a time when nodody stood and gawked at a long ball. If they did, they'd get a fastball under the chin during their next AB. That's part of the game that's not changed for the better. Hit the ball and run. No excuse for Junior not to be standing on 2nd base in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    It was either a homerun or it was caught. Even Dunn staled at third.
    Actually Dunn did the right thing. If it is caught, then you score easily on the sac fly. If it is a HR or hits the wall, then you still score easily. If it is caught and you have to take steps to get back and tag up, then you might not make it or have to stay at third.

The other day he beat out an infield single. He hustles when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Actually Dunn did the right thing. If it is caught, then you score easily on the sac fly. If it is a HR or hits the wall, then you still score easily. If it is caught and you have to take steps to get back and tag up, then you might not make it or have to stay at third.
    Read the rest of my post after that.

It was either a homerun or it was caught. Even Dunn staled at third. Edwin about ran him over. No one thought it was a double off the wall but Edwin, who was probably thinking "Theres a heater in the dug-out. Run, Dunn, Run!"
    I too was thinking like Dunn, it was caught.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Actually Dunn did the right thing.
    Absolutely. Runner on third, go back to tag. Runner on 2nd, go half way. Excellent base running on both Dunn and Encarnarcion's part on that play.

That's cool, dave. I thought you meant that. Just wanted to make sure others didn't think Adam's head wasn't in the game!

Dunn didn't go back because he thought it was going to be caught, necessarily. That's basic baserunning in baseball. Runner on third less than two outs, go back and tag. In the event it's caught or if it's not, you score easily either way.

Needed a little mustard on that dog.

If this were an isolated incident, no big deal. But this happens fairly often with Griffey. He either needs to learn to judge his fly balls better or get out of the box a little faster.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

got alil captain in u?

i don't see it as lack of hustle watching the game when he hit it i thought it was gone dunn absolutely did the right thing and the ball bounced right back to bay with jr speed these days i dunno if i he coulda made it a double

I think you are missing the point. Whether he thought it was a HR, a 2B, or caught, he should be standing on 3rd base, ready to score whenever it touches the wall, ground, glove, or seats.

So there is no way to say what Dunn was thinking. EdE did it perfectly too like others said.

Back to the original point, HR trots are for sure HR's. Not oppage wall scrapers, especially doubles off the wall.

Turn Off Ads?